Bubbles in the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is normal for bubles/froth in the oil of an operating engine? I drew a sample from the SOS port of my 3406 genset using the Cat sample kit. It's basically a short basket-ball inflator needle with a clear tube attached to it that pokes into the sample port next to the oil filter. It had what I thought to be lot of bubbles. When the sample container was full, it developed a nice head of bubles on it for about a minute. It was another several minutes before all the extremely small bubbles had finished working their way to the top.

It had been running about 2 hours doing a live load test (Aprox 30% facility load) with load on it when the sample was taken.

The oil level in the engine is a hair under the shutdown full mark, and right in the middle of the Low-Idle operating range, so I don't think it's an over-full problem.

Using AMS Series 3000 5W30.

Doe anyone else see bubles in the oil when oil is pulled from sample ports of running engines?

Yes. In a running engine, oil is frothing all the time.

If the bubbles disappear in three minutes, then the oil has a good measure of defoamant.

higher vis oils will foam more and air entranment is normal unless it interferes with performance not a problem.
bruce

Thanks. As I was drawing it out, and saw all the bubles I said aloud "Oh as if I need something else to worry about!" Now I can cross this worry off my list!

The better the oil, the less foam you'll see. You have the best in right now, so it would be downhill almost any other direction you went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back