Kubota Super UDT vs Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Kubota B2400 Compact Tractor which uses SUPER UDT in the combo hydrostat/hydraulic system and the front Bi-speed turn axle. The front axle can be filled with SAE 80 or 90 gear oil as an alternate.

I have been unable to find any specs on SUPER UDT so I am having a hard time comparing it to Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF. Chevron recommends the All-Weather THF in applications which call for the SUPER UDT spec.

Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF

Any comments or data would be appreciated.

cheers.gif

I've compared the two using company published properties. They seem very similar. They might even be the same. Check out Kubota's MSDS and see if Chervon is the mfg.

I tried to download the MSDS for the SUPER UDT the other day but for some reason couldn't. Today it worked. Ashland is the maker but there is nothing usefull in their MSDS.

I also found that Texaco TDH Oil SS appears to be the same thing as the Chevron Synthetic All-Weather THF. So if anyone looks this is another possible way to find this oil. Note that Chevron owns Texaco.

Texaco TDH Oil SS

In the color sensitive world of tractor owners the Chevron All Weather is Kubota Orange.

Seems to me the JD Low Viscosity meets Super UDT specs. Check out deere.com. And no its not green.

My .02 cents, but my local Chevron distributor told me that Chevron makes the John Deere Hytran fluids.

Thanks for the suggestions, I had looked at the Deere Hy-Gaurd hydraulic/transmission oil which is what I think you are referring to. Here is what I have found so far.

Hy-Gard hydraulic/transmission oil

code:

Chevron AW THF Deere Hy-Tran

Viscosity at 40*C 44.7cst 59cst

Viscosity at 100*C 9.5cst 9.4cst

Viscosity index 204 140

Pour point *C -45 -40

Flash point *C 242 227

Based on these specs I would have to say the Chevron All-Weather THF is probably the better product. It has better low temp flow, sheer resistance, Pour point, and Flash point. Actual performance may be another story though?

Both the Chevron and Deere oil state that they can be used in place of the SUPER UDT. But I still don't have anything stating what the specs are for the SUPER UDT.

Here's a few specs found on tractorbynet.com. Take them for what they are worth, or not worth.

My dealer gave me a couple pages of literature on UDT, Super UDT and AW Hydraulic. He uses UDT and recommends it, says some people feel the need for Super UDT, and that the AW Hydraulic 46 is something new to him.
The sheets make it hard to make direct comparisons because of properties being listed at different temperatures for the different products. I'll try to post the info:

Both UDT and Super UDT are called multipurpose all-weather tractor hydraulic fluids. They are listed for use in hydraulic, final drive, transmission, differential, and wet brake applications.

Both are "recommended where the following are specified:"

Allis Chalmers - PF821, Part #'s 9003088, 9003089, 9003090, 9003091

Allison - C-3 & C-4

Caterpillar - TO-2

J.I. Case / David Brown - MS-1210, MS-12006, JC143, JIC144, JIC145

John Deere - 303, J14C, J20A, J20C

Ford Select-O-Speed - M2C41B, M2C48B, M2C53A, M2C86A, and M2C134D, C, B, & A

International Harvester - Hy-Tran Fluid, Specification B-6 and superseded B-5

Kubota - Hydraulic / Transmission Fluid

Massey-Ferguson - M-1110, M-1127A&B, M1129A, M1135, Permatran III

Steiger - Hydraulic / Transmission Fluid

Versatile - Gear / Hydraulic / Wet Brake Oil

White Universal Hydraulic / Transmission Fluid - Part #'s Q-1776, 30-310-5695, 30-310-5717

White Oliver - Typ5 (sic?)

Only the Super has the following notes:
*Reduced warmup time for operation in cold weather
*Improves efficiency in synchro and glide shift transmissions
*Fully intercahngeable with standard UDT fluids
*Provides high performance protection even at high operating temperatures
*Meets Kubota's stringent Specifications

Properties listed for UDT are:
Gravity, degree API 29.5
Viscosity @ -30°C, cP 18,300
Viscosity @100°C, cSt 9.5
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt 60.0
Viscosity Index 140
Pour Point, C° max -35
Zinc, % wt. 0.12

For Super UDT:
Specific Gravity @-15.6° .0877
Viscosity @ 25°C, cSt 84
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt 9.00
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt 45
Pour Point, C° max -46
Zinc % wt. 0.17

Salesrep,

That looks like awesome stuff. How do these syntetics and synthetic blends cover two catagories of dino Hytran fluids - ie UDT and Super UDT, JD C and D? How do they cover the viscosity spread and other attributes that dinos require two different products?

Is there any warranty issues using these products if the manual says super UDT?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by salesrep:
Something to compare.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/315.pdf

WOW! Nice spec sheets. I wish every manufacturer would provide this much detail. The Schaeffers #315 looks to give the Chevron some competition. To bad it's not orange.
rolleyes.gif

doitmyself,
Thanks for dooin the diggin. At least this gives me some idea what the SUPER UDT spec might be. I would have to say that of the oils I have looked at so far the Chevron is the only one that meets those unsubstantiated specs you found.

code:

Chevron Deere Schaeffers

Viscosity at 40*C 44.7cst 59cst 53.9cst

Viscosity at 100*C 9.5cst 9.4cst 9.1cst

Viscosity index 204 140 150

Pour point *C -45 -40 -43

Flash point *C 242 227 229

quote:

WOW! Nice spec sheets. I wish every manufacturer would provide this much detail. The Schaeffers

You will find that type of data on all of Schaeffer's td sheets. It can be very difficult to compare the true qualities of oils with so many unpublished tests. Wonder why others don't publish all there tests.
dunno.gif

quote:

The Schaeffers #315 looks to give the Chevron some competition.

and then some.

In talking about the "regular" Hytran fluids (not synthetics), it's so funny how each implement manufacturer makes such a strong case to only use their fluid. John Deere puts on a really great dog and pony show how great and special their product is. Then you go and pick up a container of any brand, whether it's an oil company or tractor company, and they all (even JD) list that they meet the requirements of dozens of manufacturers.

So, they can't be that "special". But, we worry because of the cost of our implements and the known differences between auto tranny fluids -dexron vs. ATF+4, etc..

I would probably be a Shafer's customer if I didn't have to order it.

quote:

it's so funny how each implement manufacturer makes such a strong case to only use their fluid. John Deere puts on a really great dog and pony show how great and special their product is.

that's so you thinki you must buy their oil.
Fyi
simplex vs John deere j20-c oil
3 times better protection in the timken ep test
7 times less wear in the vane pump test
40% reduction in the JD brake chatter test
25 times less wear in the jd trans final drive durability test.

I use the Simplex non-synthetic ( Product 113 I think) in my JD 790. Works great with less gear whine than the JD Low Viscosity stuff.

The Simplex Synthetic blend would even be better.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
I use the Simplex non-synthetic ( Product 113 I think) in my JD 790. Works great with less gear whine than the JD Low Viscosity stuff.

The Simplex Synthetic blend would even be better.

Neil, isn't the low visc. for operating in freezing climates?

Steve

Sorry for the delay. The low vis JD stuff is recommended in all weather conditions. Though this same transmission set has used the regular weight THF for years. Maybe its JD Trying to show bigger HP at the PTO.

Petro-Canada makes a "full synthetic" transmission/hydraulic fluid. According to their web site, "Duratran Synthetic is fortified with Petro-Canada's unique patented 99.9& pure crystal clear HT processes base oils..." Viscosity index is 207. The site gives much more data.

I seem to recall that Petro-Canada is associated with Chevron, but do not recall in which way.

A key data point for lubricants is the level of contaminants. Oils are commercial products that cost money to clean during the manufacturing process. Some SAE reports for engines suggest that small micron sized particles that pass through most commercial filters can still cause significant wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back