75W-90 instead of 15W-40 in trans/hydraulics ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
can/will a 75W-90 GL4/5 (@ 14-15cSt @ 100*C) work better/give better protection than using (specified) 15W-40 engine oil in trans/hydraulics/final drive in a tractor ?

What are you using it in ,,,brand,,sounds like the Schaeffers 239S in #30 wt will do the job,,,,or the 115 Schaeffers,though lighter,but a really tough oil fully additized,,like to know more on What??,,,,BL

why do you want to do this? a mid weight 40 is about the same viscosity as a light 90wt gear oil. my dad's mid 60's Ferguson TO35 spec'd 90wt for the hydraulics/ trans/ rear end... even in the dead of summer the tractor was sluggish as **** when it was cold... in the winter forget about it, it wouldn't even move. my dad switched it out for Hytran ( I dunno if you have that down under) and things were vastly improved.

-Bret

I would say no, since there is are major differences in the additives used for hydrualic systems and engine oils verses gear lube.

quote:

........major differences in the additives used for hydrualic systems and engine oils verses gear lube.

thanks for the replies.
I suspected this Molakule, but was curious.

Brian, its for a Fiat 550/8, (circa '71-72) equivalent to an Oliver 1355/Cockshutt 1355 (made by Fiat)

cheers.gif

You definitely don't want to use gear oil in this system and 15W40 isn't a very good choice either. You might want to consider one of the multipurpose tractor oils designed for combined systems. Something in the 30WT range would probably be good.

The Schaeffer 239s will work is the #30 wt,,would be best,,Lubrication Engineers makes also a excellent fluid,,7500 Monolec power fluid will also work,,,check with a LE vendor,or the on site Schaeffer sponser,,,,BL

Rick,
they probably went for a 15W-40 engine oil for the wet brakes...the slicker gear oils could make braking a whole new experience.

Most of the mineral diesel engine oils are appropriate for tractor brakes, but there are better fluids (Mobilfuid 424), which are GL4 and allison C4 (wet clutch spec).

The Mobilfuid 424 (or agri 424) are an 80W (SAE30) 9.5cst@100C. Mobil reckon that they are High Viscosity Index Bastestocks, which is supported by -39C pour point.

It's done wonders for various japanese transmissions that don't like finding second gear in the mornings.

And last time I bought it, it was $19 for 5 litres, so cheap as chips compared to others.

Rick,
I further checked Mobils website, and they reccomend either Delvac MX 15W-40 (CI-4 with Allison C4), or Mobil Agri engine oil 15W-40 (CH-4, with Alison C4)

quote:

they probably went for a 15W-40 engine oil for the wet brakes...the slicker gear oils could make braking a whole new experience.

lol.gif

Shannow,
wish someone had told the Fiat engineers that's what those pedals are for. I've driven some tractors with crook brakes, but this one is the worst.
rolleyes.gif

Looking at Castrol's lubeguide, Agri MP plus seems to be their prime recommendation. Just can't seem to get their Agri website open at the moment.

Fuchs also have Titan UTTO.
A universal tractor transmission oil ideally suited to agricultural and industrial equipment operating under severe load conditions, requiring a common oil for transmission, differential, and final drives, hydraulics, wet clutches and wet brakes.
Specifications:
JI CASE 1206 MF M1135, 1141,1143
API GL4 Ford M2C 134A/B/C/D
AllisonC-4 Caterpillar R TO-2
Ford MC 86B/C John Deere J20C

The local NRMA dealer/motor mechanic in the village stocks Fuchs, and generally gives me a good deal on their oils, so this may be the most accessible fluid.
The strange thing is that in Fuchs' lubeguide, they recommend Titan Universal HD 15w-40 engine oil....
dunno.gif

Looks like an email or phone call is in order.
Currently running Titan Ultralube 15W-40 in the engine.

Thanks Stinky. Looking into it.

Brian, unfortunately Schaeffer's isn't readily available here, yet. Apparently they are currently setting up distributors.

The systems I work with require TO-4 spec oil for compartments with friction material (brakes and transmissions). We have a number of people who like to use 15W40 in powershift transmissions but the component life is shortened and the oil rapidly shears to 20WT - 30Wt range, there are also potential liablilty issues due to using the incorrect fluid in systems with brakes (these are large mining trucks mainly).

Most of the Multipurpose Tractor Fluids will meet the older TO-2 spec for transmissions and this may or may not be OK for your application. If the tractor is old I'm sure you will be just fine. If you can't find a source go to the Cat dealer an ask for Cat MTO oil.

Amsoil also makes an SAE 5w-30, PAO based, hydraulic/transmission oil for these applications. I know you can get it in NZ, but I'm not sure about Aussie Land.

Ted

Just run a good 10 weight, Its all we've ever run in our IH's for the last 30 years, no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back