Grease specified in ring and pinion gear on flail mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a large Ford 917 tractor PTO powered flail mover which uses a ring and pinion style reduction gearbox to both make a right angle turn and to reduce speed between the driveshaft and the driven rotor.

Recently while doing maintenance I removed the cover from the gearcase (much like a solid automotive rear axle diff) I drained the gear lube which was in there.

Much to my surprise when I looked in the owner's manual it called for grease as the service fill, not gear oil. Hmmm, it seems to me that in a closed case like that gear oil would do a better job than grease.

I refilled with 85W-140 gear oil. Should I switch over to grease? I am inclined to keep using gear oil as the gears and bearings were in good shape when I inspected them and I saw no signs of it ever having been filled with grease.

John

My gut feeling tells me that gear oil should be okay, even preferred. There is more assurance that you get a film of lubricant where it's needed when you use oil. Plus relubrication is much easier... when it's easier you do it more often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back