New Massey Ferguson Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the combined knowledge here Gentlemen! I have a new MF 492 with a 1104C-44t Perkins. I sure hope this expensive tractor will last longer than I do - and I'm 42
grin.gif
. What oil do you guys suggest - considering the investment,the cost of "better" oil is immaterial. The manual suggests 10-30 or 15-40 CIL-4 for my mostly warm west Tn weather. The tractor has 10 hours at this point - when can i change to a high grade synthetic? Thanks for the answers!

For conventional oils two of the best choices would be Chevron Delo 15W-40 or Mobil Delvac 15W-40.

If you want to spend a little more on synthetics, Mobil Delvac-1 seems to be the hot ticket.

Personally I have not seen evidence for synthetic oils reducing wear, though they can provide for extended run times between drain intervals and have some advantage for cold starting in climates much colder than yours.

The best thing you can do for your tractor is to provide it with garage/barn space when not in use. Sitting out in the weather ages these things!

Enjoy, my Massey TO35 is about 50 years old now, so yours should take care of your needs for a long time
smile.gif

Personally I use Chevron Delo 15W-40.

John

Sales rep is right, Schaeffers 15w-40 at proper change intervals,good filters,,Baldwin,your tractor will last a veeeeery long time ,also dont forget Schaeffers makes a really great diesel fuel conditioner,#139 soyshield,, BL

Thanks for the replies! I found Delo in "4+" at my local Sams for $6 a gallon. Since I always change quicker than the reccomended hours, I feel the "standard" oil will work fine. Thanks again.

Delo 15W40 is a good choice. I would use OEM filters however. Take oil samples at every change so you can spot dirt entry and contamination from fuel or antifreeze. This will also help you decide the right time to change oil. Most people with ag equipment change it way more often than is needed.

PS - I agree with everything JThorner said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back