Amsoil SGM-55 or Shell Omala 220?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparing a conventional to the Amsoil, I would say you would see lower overall temperatures.

From Amsoil:
quote:

AMSOIL SG Oils are fully formulated with sulphur/phosphorous extreme pressure additives, antioxidants, rust inhibitors, and anti-foam agents. The SG Oil's thermally stable, extreme-pressure additive system forms a hard, iron-sulfide coating on metal components. This iron-sulfide coating prevents metal to metal contact under boundary lubrication conditions, reduces friction and protects components against shock loading and wear. The anti-oxidants increase the oxidation resistance of the synthetic base oils for long, clean lubricant performance. These oils protect against rust from water or process contaminants and prevent foaming, ensuring proper lubrication.

• Extreme pressure protection
  • Additized to prevent rust, oxidation and foam
  • Compatible with seals and other lubricants
  • Extended drain intervals and all season performance
  • Hydrolytically stable & readily separates from water

As far as price, I would have to find out for each piece of equipment if drains could be extended. If you can go 3-5 times longer price is a moot point.

Secondly depends on where they are buying the products, I've been able to get close to conventional oil's through Amsoil's factory direct commercial program, especially if the accounts are buying locally.

If they are using Synthtetics already, I can beat price and performance most of the time. I saved an account in El Paso over 50% when he was already using a Synthetic compressor fluid. He was paying over $1700 per barrel, Amsoil's comparable product was less than $800 shipped.

So just comparing over the internet won't help much. I would advise contact a knowledgeable dealer to work the numbers for you.

a critical factor in EP gear oils is the type of metals used. The typical package of sulfur/phos. is ok for steel, chrome, or mainy other hard metals for short periods of time until the additive package looses it's ability to stick.
If you are trying to lubricate bronze gears, there is nothing like Borate. Reduces wear, energy, temp. Adhesion is electrical, so there is no chemical reaction with the metal, particals are spherical so they roll instead of sliding. I have a few studies on my side, but they are in spanish.

My application is large commercial printing presses. Currently using the Shell Omala 220 extreme pressure gear oil, but I'm having problems with the oil foaming. I'm thinking of going to the Amsoil SGM series, Schaffer, or possibly Mobil/Exxon. Thanks for all the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back