Recommend an oil for firetrucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is one class of vehicle that is routinely abused, it's a fire engine. Little warm-up time followed by full throttle acceleration followed by little-to-no cool down time before the engine is shutoff. I'm concerned with the turbos primarily, especially coking due to the lack of cool down.

The engines in question range from a Cummins L10-300, a Cummins ISC8.3-330, a Ford 6.8L V10 gas, and a Ford 5.8L V8 gas. I'm more concerned for the diesels and their turbos than I am about the gas engines, but the department wants to use one oil in all the engines as it helps with supply and logistics.

Anyway, what oil would you recommend? I'm thinking that a premium synthetic would help here, such as Amsoil, Delvac 1, or Rotella T Syn. I like Schaeffer's Supreme 7000, but feel that since it is a blend, it won't perform as well as the full syns when it comes to the turbos and the lack of cool down time.

If the turbos are hot is way above the ability of any of the oils commonly available. That is the duty of a fire truck and they seem to last a long time ,a turbo in the whole scheme of things is not that expensive.

The fact that the supreme line is a blend does not mean that it wo'nt do the job you are looking for.

Simple,
Most blend oils are a mixture of low quality conventional oil and low or medium quality synthetic, and probably no more synthetic than needed to meet spec.

There are a couple of makers of premium synthetic blend oils, Schaeffer being one, who use the best quality conventional oil and the best quality synthetic in proportions that work best. These offer high mileage users the lowest cost per mile. They also offer excellent protection to engines that are abused, where out of negligence or necessity.

Schaeffer's oil, conbined with oil analysis, will probably offer your fire truck engines the best possible protection as well as very reasonable cost.

Ken

Why don't you idle the engine for 5 minutes to let them cool down? There is also a good chance you can crack a head by shutting down a hot engine.

I would use a synthetic such as Mobil Delvac 1 15W40 or Caterpillar 5W40.

Stinky

Where I live, Fairfax county Fire Dept. uses the lowest bidder at the time of need. Most of the time we use Gulf 76 15w40 dino. All of our trucks last a looonngg time. We see little to no turbo failure. As for using the same oil in all trunks, thats just wrong. 15w40 will soon blow the filters of the new Ford modualor motors! I've seen it done with 10w40.

I would highly reconmend Schaeffers 15w-40 blend and a oil testing depending on weather and use as this maybe apumper and can accrue lots of idle time..BL

What's the consensus on Royal Purple? I "may" have found a way to get RP free or nearly free.

As far as letting the trucks idle, that's s'posed to be SOP, but often times it doesn't get done, especially coming back from a fire at 03:00 when everyone is wanting to hurry and get back home. If we've actually used the truck, then it idles while everything (hose, water, etc.) is re-loaded. That helps.

And I've never heard of filter failure due to oil. Sounds like a *** (Fram) filter. 5W40 Rotella Synth has been in the V10 now for six months with no apparent problems. However, if the RP deal goes through, I'll prolly switch bac to 5W20.

quote:

Originally posted by frankiee:
How about pluging the engines block heaters in??

Good idea. I bet a bunch of bright firefighters could figure out how to arrange the plug so it pulled out without damage when they forgot it was plugged in.

Set the idle a little bit higher, 100 rpm or so (keeps battery charged, and oil splashing around a bit better) and put a shutdown timer on the engine, either electronic or the low man on the pole. Send samples to someone like T. Dyson and work out a plan. A conventional oil just might work fine. Maybe something as simple as adding LC every so often. But work your plan from real knowledge of what's happening. I've built software for just this type of maintenance planning and over 10-15 years, simple works best. Once the plan is working, check it every now and then, ie go back to Terry. There might be a difference between what you think you should do and what works well.

I think this is an ideal situation for synthetics, especially for cold climates.

Yes some municipalities use Amsoil and just change the oil, every year or six months. Analyses not performed.

offtopic.gif
Stinky posted on my brother's birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back