1997 ISUZU NPR Diesel- no synth lubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody I know was querying me about a change in the lube program for his tool truck, a 1997 ISUZU with the NPR diesel engine. The advice I've heard so far says NO synthetics are allowed in this engine- all the way up to 2003! Sounds crazy to me!

quote:

Originally posted by Lance:
Somebody I know was querying me about a change in the lube program for his tool truck, a 1997 ISUZU with the NPR diesel engine. The advice I've heard so far says NO synthetics are allowed in this engine- all the way up to 2003! Sounds crazy to me!

Who have you heard this "advice" from...Isuzu?

I see no reason you could not run synthetics in this engine...I have heard of no reason nor seen any statement that would say otherwise.

I've read it in their manuals but at the same time I've had fleets running Amsoil 15w-40 with no problems. The Schaeffers 15w-40 7000 blend would be another option to consider too.

Kubota dealer said no to synthetics. I call corporate and they to says no syn. Three machines and thousands of hard hours and no failures.
BX1800 was sold with 3,500hrs. 150hr oci's on m1 0w-40. Never low.
First rtv900-r sold at about same he's as the bx.
Current rtv-900 just got its first non syn since new. It has 1150hrs.
All run like new still.
The bx has near 4,500hrs with the new home, same oil.
Rtv has a unknown life after the sale.

Harvey

Hi,
Bud_One - If it is the 4HG1 engine for instance then synthetic lubricant are not advisable.

I met with Kubota diesel power unit Engineers in Japan many years ago - they were adamant then that synthetic lubricant use was not permitted. I used a synthetic in a series of these engine with great success

They Japanese OEMs have been somewhat sensitive on this issue for several decades - they offer many reasons!

They have a nasty tendency to develop an oil leak at the rear of the cylinder head. 7 of mine have it. Not going to trash anything, but you might see the leak begin or get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back