Substituting THF for Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
I would think the THF would be a better fluid as well, since it contains a more additized package with all the goodies.

This topic is Interesting, since I just helped a friend rebuild a WD40.

Does your WD 45 start on gasoline as well?

We used five gallons of Schaeffer's #254 in the ISO 150 version with a full bottle of Schaeffer's #132.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/254.html
and http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/132.html.

[ June 02, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

MolaKule, thanks for the reply and links. Yes, the tractor has a gasoline fueled, spark ignition engine.

Even though there's a viscosity difference between THF and gear oil, I think the additives in the THF enhance the EP qualities. I've actually been more concerned with using THF in the final drives. I don't know if THF has good 'gear climbing' qualities, but I would assume it does since it's recommended for final drives in modern tractor's.

The enhanced demulsibility of THF would be a big plus too. The transmission is succeptable to water contamination through the shift lever boot. If I decide to switch to THF in the transmission, I'm thinking of putting a draincock on the PTO which is the lowest point. Just to be able to check periodically for water.

My local Wal-Mart had one 5-gal bucket of Pennzoil Hydra-Trans displayed with the SuperTech brand for the same price. I picked that for my hydraulic's because I believe Pennzoil's Purebase technology is an 'all-hydrotreated' process.

A WD40 is a Farmall tractor, isn't it?

I have a 1954 Allis-Chalmers WD45 tractor. The original lubricant recommendation for the transmission and final drives is 80w gear oil. The hydraulic resevoir is a separate compartment. I'm using THF for hydraulic fluid.

Would it be safe and effective to use THF instead of gear oil in the transmission and final drives? The transmission has a wet clutch as well as a PTO clutch.

I'm only assuming that THF wasn't the original recommendation because it didn't exist at the time. I've noticed that the gear oil in the transmission seems to foam a bit. I think the THF would prabably make a better lube and minimize the oil I need to keep on hand. But I want to make sure that there isn't any other compelling reason to use gear oil instead of THF in a tractor this old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back