Tractor Hydraulic Fluids and additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think I would gain anything by using an additive that contains moly in my tractors combo gear and hydraulic system?

My tractor has the old fashion crash and grind gear system. So I do not have to worry about wet clutches or wet brakes or synchronizers.

The fluid now in the gear box is Schaeffer's Simplex Torque Convertor Fluid with a VOA of:

mo.....2
Zn.....1011
P......895
Ca.....2420

No complaints with the Torque Fluid and no evidence of bearing or gear wear. The Torque Fluid has lowered the gear whine down some compared to the John Deere fluid.

As long as you have no wet brakes or clutches, you have less to worry about. Tractor fluids (except some Case fluids) have demulsifiers and other properties to reduce gear wear in the presence of water, which tends to condense from the breathing of the fluid and the use of tractors in rain or their being washed with pressure washers. Tractor fluids already pass GL-4 specs for transmissions.
It appears to me that you already have a good additive package in that oil. I have a half dozen tractor fluid additive levels at:
http://american.netfirms.com/Aplicaciones/Tractores/tractores.html

Widman you the hombre.

Got calcium with that Chevron or American THF?

I needed my Spanich/English dictionary more than a few times. The Chevron y American THF looks pretty impressive. My cousin's a Chevron distributor in Monahans, Texas. I ought to think about buying a pail from him.

It's amazing how much protection additives can make. I just got back an analisis of a local product that started with 500 ppm of calcium (suposedly) and ended with about 250. The Iron was almost as high as the calcium after use. I will probably post it later.

It would be great to see that analysis. Shouldn't we expect to see high Iron and Chrome numbers?

Oh by the way the analysis for the John Deere Low Vis THF ( this sample was back when I think ESSO was the manufacturer, Chevron International seems to be the manufacturer now) )was as follows:

Calcium 3020
Magnesium 78
Zinc 1050
Phosphorus 971
Moly 1

The analisis of the used oil :
 -

[ June 04, 2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Widman

Thanks for the post. Its instructional to see an analysis of an oil that did not measure up.

Do you suppose the SA Penn Hydra Tranz is the same as the NA Penn Hydra Tranz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back