Need some filter advice/cross reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping some one can help me out.

This question concerns a lift truck I recently purchased(Deutz diesel with a hydrostatic transmission).
The spin-on transmission filter on this machine MUST be replaced. Its a MANN WD 724/3

Here is the problem,

-after a few phone calls and some web searches, I still cannot find a cross reference for a suitable replacement, and MANN doesnt seem to be a brand carried near my location(Ontario, Canada)

Can someone provide me with some other compatible filters? Also are their any recommendations for replacement of the fluid for this hydrostaic trans.?

Thanks in advance,
This is my first but surely not my last post to this VERY informative board I only just discovered tonight!

Piker

more information, certainly..,as mentioned above its a lift truck, tow motor, or aka forklift.

The filter I am attempting to find a replacement for is a spin-on transmission filter "Mann WD724/3"

I believe the manufacturer of the truck portion is Baker but have not determined this for sure because there is no spec. plate to be found on the machine. Its has an approx. 4000lb capacity and will be operating outdoors.

I will add anything else I can think of.

Piker

[ December 10, 2002, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Piker ]

Thanks for the replies so far-they are appreciated.

I will have to check what the transmission make is.

I tried Baldwins site. Unfortunately that isnt the same forklift. I am not *positive* mine is a Baker and therefore dont know the model. The Mann WD 724/3 didnt come up, however I looked up the other two filters I have, Oil- Wix 51342 and Fuel Wix-33358, neither two mathced the Baker truck listed. Thinking about this more I guess my transmission and Hyd are linked? I must have a closer look!

P.

After much searching,...My forklift is now identified as formerly Baker which is now Linde.

I have found a matching filter this morning too "Linde 0009830601" My jaw dropped when I heard the price...$94.65...for a small spin on filter??
Apparently its a special thicker walled type for the hydrostaic transmission. I am hoping to find a more reasonable replacement today but failing that I will have to fork over the money.
Any input on this, or my choice for replacement fluid would be appreciated.

The trans. and hyd. are definatly linked and recommended fluid is
"a 68 for heavy duty application or 46 for lighter duty"
this explanation I received from a parts counter seemed a little uninformed.

[ December 11, 2002, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Piker ]

Piker, give Baldwin a call or email. They're pretty good about figuring heavy duty applications.

The catalog dept:
http://www.baldwinfilters.com/support/cat.html

I've also had success sending questions to [email protected]

You may have discovered why the current filter wasn't changed for so long.
smile.gif

I'd consider running a completely separate filter plumbed to something like a permacool spin-on adapter. Sounds like pressures could be an issue, but it should be cheaper in the long run. That's assuming you can't find a reasonable alternative.

Good luck.

David

Piker

If Baldwin can't help a long shot would be your local John Deere Dealer. They carry or can order many non-John Deere diesel parts.

You might look for a Cummins Truck Dealer.
They can get a lot of different filters because they own FleetGuard. They even sell in individual packs.

I have a Hastings master prodcut guide for HD truck applications. Here is the Deutx truck engines listed and the Hasting filter number;

BF6L913 160 H.P. -------LF108 Oil
BF8L513 ----------------LF315 Oil
F5L912 100 H.P.---------LF315 Oil

If you cannot locate them, I might be able to help.

I also found a listed for Baker forklifts in the catalog and they only model listed with an oil filter available is FJP-050.......Hastings LF117 MSPR $6.00

They don't have an interchange....

[ December 12, 2002, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I wanted to post the conclusion of my efforts. If nothing else perhaps some others can benefit from the experience. That is part of what makes this board great!

I couldn't find a suitable replacement in time. The lift truck had to get fixed, so I grudgingly shelled out $95.00+tax for an OEM filter. However not wishing to ever pay that amount again, I pursued some of the leads given to me here.

Went to a Heavy equipment dealer for a possible match but came out with nothing.

I did a search for Mann + Hummel filters, called a company in Dallas, very helpful- $24.95. currency conversion and shipping would be half what I payed for it here, but a few weeks for delivery(uncommon filter)

Called Baldwin as suggested thanks "OneQuartLow" Baldwin was also extremely helpful. I had a part number in seconds! They gave me the name of a distributer in Toronto. Acklands-Grainger. They can have the part in 3-4 days and final price was $24.00 CAN.

I think I know where I am getting the next filter from!!

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back