Best oil for a one lung diesel generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an infrequently used Yanmar 6500 watt diesel generator. What would be the best oil to use. How about the 15w40 Rotella I use in my Dodge Cummins? How many hours between changes?

thanks

I deal with lung engines that are shown at county fairs, etc. (I love old technology).
grin.gif

Shell Rotella 15W40 or Amsoil 15W40 AME are both perfect for these engines.

I prefer the Amsoil 15W40 AME because of its high rust preventative content which keeps the internals from rusting, and it maintains its SAE 40 grade very well.

You can't go wrong with either one.

I think ya missed one Mola..
twak.gif
man, gotta keep tooting my own horn here.

In addition to the above mentioned oils, Schaeffers carries excellent oils for that as well and it too has the same benifets as what the amsoil does. Of course, them being the oldest oil company(162+yrs) in the U.S. that they'd get some mention but I guess the old saying holds true huh?

The squeaky wheel gets the grease... And since Schaeffers makes such good lubricants, they never squeak, therfore, forgotten.
grin.gif

If the diesel is air cooled, highly suggest a synthetic diesel oil (Delvac 1, Amsoil) (not the almost diesel oils such as Shell Rotella Synthetic, Chevron Synthetic, Group III oils) as given your Houston address, the synthetic will provide additional cooling capabilities. As previously mentioned the synthetic will also provide superior corrosion capabilities over a mineral based oil. The majority of tractor/trailers with reefer units you pass on the highway (small air cooled diesel engine!) is running Delvac 1 synthetic due to the above...

George, please,

Let's Qualify that statement.."The majority of tractor/trailers with reefer units you pass on the highway (small air cooled diesel engine!) is running Delvac 1 synthetic"

Having a CDL and driven truck's (including reefers) at one time as well as now working with truck companies(like yourself I'm sure) and many truck lube centers, That is not entirely correct.

The majority uses the cheapest, and most available oil around for such and mostly that is rotella or delo400. Most companies have stream lined and started a lubrication consolodation program which is based on availablilty as well as past history with their own experiences and finally the biggy, price(which many look at PRICE and not COST in this decission because of the ignorance between the two). You'll find that is the majority.

There is no reason not to believe that mobil is in quite a few as is many other oil companies like ourselves but not to the degree of being considered the majority.

In the truck lube centers, I have seen that the majority of centers all carry mobil, but also carry rotella and delo. Having been around I have seen where most drivers select the lower priced products. Obviously there is a select few who are a little more critical in their thinking about lubricants and price vers cost and select mobil or schaeffers or some other brand but this is limited in comparision.

[ August 08, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

A few years ago on a Yanmar small diesel engine, the company spec'ed CD oil, (now obsolete). The rule of thumb, was any 1-3 qt. capacity used 15W40 oil, and any 8+ qt. capacity used straight 30wt. oil. However, all 5500 watt and under generators I have seen from Yanmar are air cooled, single cylinder, 3 qt. and under capacity and use 15W40 oil.
I have not seen the 6500w single cylinder generator. Xwray if you could give more info it would help, as model, air/water cooled ect. The 6500 watt and above are generally multi- cylinder and water cooled. I see these engines every so often on the lake, both as generators or main propulsion on some larger sail boats, usually out of towners. (Ya'all ain't from around here are ya?)
xwray: I would run this generator, full load, every 30 days for 2 hours, and change oil every 90 days of no use or 50 hours of use. Humidity is your enemy in Houston. Yes, you can use the Shell Rotella T in the generator, but as mentioned other choices exist that may be better suited, IMHO, for your climate and use frequency. Also use a fuel stabilizer in your diesel fuel, PRI-D, available at most Marine Dealers in Houston, call around or contact the company. Just do a search on PRI-D (diesel) or PRI-G (gas).

Bob, did not mean to sound like an advertisement but several of the major reefer manufacturer's have now approved Delvac 1 for 4,000 hour ODI's, with warranty.. Companies such as Penske, Sysco, etc. have thus standardized on Delvac 1 for their reefers, which I would call fairly significant...

Which brings up another subtopic: Who/What are the major player 15W40's out there?
Here is my list -

Schaeffer's #700 (Blend w/Moly)
Mobil Delvac 1 15W40 (Synthetic)
Shell Rotella T 15W40 (Convenbtional)
Amsoil 15W40 AME (Synthetic)
Chevron Delo 15W40 (Conventional)

In answer to Vetteman's question...I mistyped the generator size...it is actually a 5500 watt unit. The engine is a 10hp one cylinder air cooled unit. It is installed in an stand-alone insulated workshop.

Molakule: I was reading your comments about market leaders and thought what timing. I just returned this afternoon from a meeting with leaders in the trucking industry and took some notes about market share in the commercial trucking industry. I found it to be very interesting and I will share with all.

Market Share - Owner Operators:
Shell - 61%
Mobil - 25%
Chevron - 8%
Pennzoil - 2%
All others - 4%

Market Share - Commercial Fleets:
Shell - 15.4%
Chevron - 15.1%
Mobil - 11.1%
Citgo - 6.2%
Texaco - 5.6%
Pennzoil - 4.3%
Exxon - 2.3%
All others - 10.4%

Now to give you an idea how large this business is, one share point = 500,000 gallons.

Shell is still the big dog with owner operators but the fleet market is a toss up between Shell, Mobil, and Chevron. Probably depends on which one wants to spend the most money wining and dining the large truck fleets.

[ August 09, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Johnny ]

Johnny, thanks for posting.. Always curious as to who what were the pie is. It is difficult to get straight info tho, as each manufacturer kind of spins it their way..
Is it not amazing that the "buy American" owner operators are so very loyal to a foreign oil company, Shell??
George

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Is it not amazing that the "buy American" owner operators are so very loyal to a foreign oil company, Shell??
George

Amen, George. That's my biggest worry w/Shell buying out PZ/QS. Foreign company, new cash cow, more $$ if we change things, customers won't know...Anyhow, that's my worry.

Don't worry guys. Cash cow? Not anymore than the rest of them. Foreign owned company. Give you that one. How about Exxon/Mobil/Esso, or Cal/Tex (Chevron and Texaco everywhere but here, or BP/AMOCO/Castrol, and the big one, CITGO who is owned by the country of Venezuela.

Hey, who knows. This merger just might put some great ideas together to make a really great new product, which would force the others to upgrade even more. After all isn't that what we are all after. Better products. If we all take the buy only America approach, we won't buy any of them. Where do you think all the crude oil comes from. Heck as for as that's concerned, where do you think all the cars come from. It's a global economy and I for one am glad it is. As they say, we get the best of both worlds.

Excellent points, as always, Johnny. However, back to point, Shell has done an incredible job establishing itself with the Owner Operator group yet is one of the few "foreigners" to have done so. Obviously they have kept the aspect of their home office quietly to themselves.. :)
I had heard at one point that the Exxon Mobil merger came about not because the two wanted to get together but that someone *very* high up in the State Department said, "Look, gentlemen, we are losing too much of our U.S. oil power base overseas. We think it would be a good idea for you two to join, thus enabling the largest oil company in the world to be a U.S. company." Which does make some sense as it did not make much sense for the two biggest U.S. competitors to get together as there really was not a lot of synergism between the two.
So far, it really has worked out pretty well, tho.
But it is difficult to keep track on the score cards! Who owns who, who is really producing what!??
I remember a while back when a good friend/Kendal Oil distrubor of long standing delivered his second load of Kendal from the Sunoco plant after the Bradford, Pa. Kendal plant was shut down. It was a 6,000 gallon load of engine oil. The customer had been using Kendal for years. The customer called my friend saying he had received the wrong load as it must be ATF. Sample taken and sure nuff it was bright, bright red! Came to find out that the last thing Sunoco did before a load of "Kendall" left was to dump a bucket of dye in it to make it "Look like Kendal". Murphy had hit and they put in 2 buckets.. Red..... He had to eat the load as Sunoco said it met specs. He cancelled his Kendal contract that day...
George

[ August 10, 2002, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: GeorgeCLS ]

George, point well taken. I sure hope you are wrong about the government being involved in the Exxon and Mobil merger. To me that would be very disturbing.

Enjoy the CART race.
cheers.gif

By the way. How did we get from what is the best oil for a one lung diesel generator to this topic?
dunno.gif

[ August 10, 2002, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Johnny ]

Yes, that was quite a trip! From one lunger to international oil politics, world order, etc..!
I can only attribute it to a meeting of great minds.... :)
CART Mid Ohio, here we come!

[ August 10, 2002, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: GeorgeCLS ]

quote:

If we all take the buy only America approach, we won't buy any of them. Where do you think all the crude oil comes from. Heck as for as that's

........and we would not be talking about a Yanmar diesel!

[ August 12, 2002, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Tommy ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back