Toyota and Supertech ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I had my 00 Camry I tried Supertech ATF and I didn't have good results with it. The tranny felt like it was slipping with the ST fluid. When I changed over to Pennzoil I had no problems.

Been using Supertech ATF DEXRON III in 5 cars for the last 8 years. That includes both a 1998 Corolla and 2001 Camry. Just follow the service interval the manual calls out and you will be fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:
Been using Supertech ATF DEXRON III in 5 cars for the last 8 years. That includes both a 1998 Corolla and 2001 Camry. Just follow the service interval the manual calls out and you will be fine.

Toyota considers the fluid to be a "fill-for-life" if the vehicle isn't used for towing...
wink.gif

But SuperTech ATF works fine in my '96 Saturn, of the 2 qts I've topped it up with. Going to do a pan drain and spin-on filter change in the coming weeks.

If I were to own a Camry I would not go with some cheap ATF not even knowing who/where it was manufactured.

I would go with either Chevron/Castrol.

My $.02 on ATF.

If I had a real ckrap beater I would still use something above bottom grade. For a 2000 car, unless it has 250,000+ (or whatever huge) miles I would still use a good synthetic ATF.

My son's 2000 Toyota Camry (4 cyl) needs a transmission fluid change. The book says Mercon III/Dexron III. Is Supertech ATF good enough? Is it as good as any other? Is Carquest ATF any better or different or is the Toyota stuff any better or different?

Don

I am looking for something else to put in but currently my car has the ST ATF in it. I was in a bind and had to drop the pan and no more good stuff on hand.
Look a few posts at the "Dexron VI for high performance" thread for info on the car, let us just say it is a fairly agressive use of the fluid compared to what most people use their cars for.

Like I said I am doing some research to figure out what I want to use long term but for now the ST is working fine.

Good results with Supertech ATF in various vehicles. If you plan on regular drain/refill intervals, the supertech will work fine.

If you don't maintain your vehicle, use one of the synthetics or blends.

Ain't no Shucks in Chehalis, no Schucks either. For some reason there are two in Centralia, if I can afford to drive that far. Carquest is in Winlock, Chehalis and Centralia and Napa in Toledo and Napavine besides.

I was forever turned off on Amway oil at the Puyallup Fair a couple of years ago by the attitude of an Amsoil (as you prefer to call your pyramid scheme oil) dealer with a booth there.

Son's 16 1/2 year old brain has decided he wants the Chevron Iso Syn ATF for his car.

I truly thank everyone for their imput, even you Pablo.

Oh yeah, Toyota told me they don't sell ATF since the cars take the standard Mercon III. The guy in the parts department said the Supertech should be fine.

Don

Sure is a range is answers. I am not sure what synthetic might be good, I don't use Amway oil and won't, so thanks Pablo, but no thanks. In any case, he has to pay for it and I don't think he will want to go the sythetic expense. I think I would prefer the Chevron ISO SYN, but didn't see it at WallyWorld and don't want to buy a whole case at Costco.

Over the years I have concluded transmission service is a 30,000 mile chore, in which case I am getting the impression most are saying SuperTech is fine. I will lay the information before him and let his 16 1/2 year old brain decide.

Don

quote:

Originally posted by Cicero17:
Sure is a range is answers. I am not sure what synthetic might be good, I don't use Amway oil and won't, so thanks Pablo, but no thanks. In any case, he has to pay for it and I don't think he will want to go the sythetic expense. I think I would prefer the Chevron ISO SYN, but didn't see it at WallyWorld and don't want to buy a whole case at Costco.

Over the years I have concluded transmission service is a 30,000 mile chore, in which case I am getting the impression most are saying SuperTech is fine. I will lay the information before him and let his 16 1/2 year old brain decide.

Don

My near 17-year-old brain says SuperTech is fine. In fact, drain and fill several times, and with mostly Dexron III(H) inside, even if he forgot about it, I wouldn't worry too much.
wink.gif

Cicero17 - It's not "Amway" oil. Amsoil is no relation.

I understand your son has budget constraints, maybe try the closest Shuck's to Winlock (Chehalis?). Also, a case of Chevron ATF from Costco might be smart, a whole flush and fill should take more than 6 qts.

undummy -
quote:

If you don't maintain your vehicle, use one of the synthetics or blends.

True enough a synthetic ATF would be better if you ignore your transmission, but still better in demanding, hot and cold applications. Or a car you want to run the best fluids in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back