Fluid extractor for transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by KC Strip:
Any additional thoughts or suggestions? I'm wide open.

Which way do you want to go with it? Suck it out thru the ATF dipstick or cooler line pumpout? What type of fittings do you have on the cooler lines? Hose clamps are super easy, push n' clip fittings are a PITA, but there are a few ways to remove them.

Joel

Cooler lines, I've found, are in weird spots with great potential for a huge mess. I personally leave 'em alone, and would take a pan drop anyday over playing with the cooler lines.

On a 4L60E, suck out 4 quarts from the dipstick tube, otherwise, just put a plug in the pan.

If I'm going to get the same amount out either way, I'll probably go with the ATF dipstick. If I can get more out via the cooler line, I'll try that. I'm not tied to one particular way. As far as fittings go, I don't know so I'll have to look.

You'll most likely get more out of cooler line, however, it'll be a two person job and real mess if you're not careful. If you're by yourself I'd try the dipstick method and see what you get out of the tranny, its easier and no mess. Remember to let the vehicle sit for an hour or so to allow as much fluid as possible to drain into the pan and for it to cool otherwise your hand pump will get very hot. If the fluid comming out doesn't look good, and with 118K on the unit it probably won't, you will need to extract and fill several times to increase the ratio of new fluid to old. Drive it in between services, perhaps for week or two. Let us know how this works for you.

Thanks, Steelers, for that piece of advice. I wouldn't have thought to let it sit, nor extract & fill multiple times.

do the dump and pump method

first determine on a level surface with engine and tranny warm the actual level on your dipstick for your trans. If this is factory fill then you know where it should be.

Now drop pan and change filter. Refill with new fluid per FSM for pan drop/filter change. Now is also a good time to install a B&M drain plug in the pan.

Disconnect return line from cooler and put in bucket or pan.
start truck and run for 45 seconds,(may have to put in DRIVE with foot on brake so pump in tranny is pumping fluid. anyhow determine how long it takes to pump 1 qt by measuring. then simply dump and pump 1 qt at a time and add to replace. Calc how many qts you need to purge all the old fluid out. Also dont add last qt. Button up, check for leaks and take for ride and get it up to temp then check level and add final qt to get to correct level.

I have used this method on many trucks, works slick and dow nthe road you have the drain plug so you wont get a ATF shampoo next time:)
quote:

Originally posted by KC Strip:
Any additional thoughts or suggestions? I'm wide open.

KC, if you feel a bit shy about disconnecting tranny lines, just do the suck method.

Personally, I do not feel comfortable disconnecting cooler lines. I'm just not that mechanically inclined.

Basically, what I do, is use my extractor to suck out as much fluid as I can at every oil change. This may sound like overkill, but, with the price of tranny fluid vs the price of a new tranny, I sleep better at night knowing I did it.

With my Taurus tranny, I can get about 7 quarts out of the cold tranny. Hot, I get just a couple. So, either way, if Im doing it every OCI, I keep fairly fresh fluid in it at all times.
Not to mention the fact that I do not have to worry about fouling up a cooler line unhook job or stripping a fitting here or there. About the only thing I have to get right in getting the right fluid in the right hole at the right level....even for me, this is a fairly doable task.

Great stuff, grm386wa! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Not sure how much will come out of my Suburban (cold or hot) with the extractor, but it may be a good start. I'm pretty sure a new filter was put in there within the last 30,000 miles as well.

Burb is easy to do complete auto tranny ATF change via the cooler lines
should be an aux cooler in front of the radiator plumbed in with neoprene tubing and hose clamps
super simple

I'll look for that, Steelhead. Are the clamps and tubing easy to remove & put back in place? If so, how easy?

If you've got a 4l60e in your sub, it should be the same as in my K1500. I watched the T-tech guys do it last time, and they simply removed the top line going into the radiator on the passenger side and hooked it up.

The line going into the top of the cooler/radiator is typically the one that pumps the fluid...or so I have noticed. There is only one easy/messy way to find out.

For my money, I'll do the trans cooler pump out every second time and a pan drop/filter change every second time. There's no magic to this trans lines. They're just like a big brake line going into your radiator. No big whoop.

I can get 6 of 7 quarts total out of a Nissan V6 trans using the hose at the radiator...at idle in neutral.

Once you figure out which hose to use...it's about like changing the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back