Jetta ATF uniqueness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is so special about VW part no. G 052 990 (A2) ATF? 2001 TDI Jetta calls for it and Amsoil says the universal ATF will not work.

I have no customers trying this application, and I don't remember folks here doing Amsoil ATF in TDI Jettas.

Thanks!

The two primary differences between the VW G 052 and the previously specified Dexron-III is that the G 052 is more foam resistant and it is more oxidatively stable.

Frictional characteristics are similar to Dex-III.

If Amsoil's universal ATF is distinctively better than run-of-the-mill Dex-III then it should perform fine in the VW transmission.

OOPs I just typoed above. Should be MY 2001. (doesn't change things though)

He says it's a 2001 Jetta TDI with the 01M 4 spd Auto. So I agree the Amsoil listing is incorrect as it shows only the 09A transmission, assuming other input is correct. That's cool because he wants to go 100% Amsoil.

I will email Amsoil about the error.

Thanks!

Napa Auto Parts has another listing as well in their online catalog, but if its a 4-spd Auto, I'm 99% sure that its a 01M.

You need to double-check with Amsoil that the UATF is truly compatible with the required ATF for the 01M unit.

Everyone says that the 01M's ATF is Esso LT71141 (which Amsoil ATF can cover), but it cannot hurt to double-check.

Fwiw, I know that FazerZ uses Mercon-V in the 01M units he rebuilds without issues.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
There were two VW transmissions in use prior to 2006, the "01M" and the "09A."

The 01M is a 4-speed Automatic used in many VW 2.0L engines, and the "09A" was a 5-speed, "tiptronic" automatic used in various 1.8T and TDI engines.

FWIW, my '00 VW GTI 1.8T has the 01M.

Yes, there are many 1.8Ts that have the 01M. The 02-03 Jetta 1.8Ts have the 09A.

There were two VW transmissions in use prior to 2006, the "01M" and the "09A."

The 01M is a 4-speed Automatic used in many VW 2.0L engines, and the "09A" was a 5-speed, "tiptronic" automatic used in various 1.8T and TDI engines.

Each of these automatics require a different fluid. The "01M" requires the "G 052 162 A2" type transmission fluid, which some refer to as Esso LT71141, which supposedly has similar frictional properties to Dexron-III. Amsoil ATF claims compatibility with Esso LT71141 type fluids, so the 01M unit is the only unit that I'd use Amsoil ATF in.

The "09A" though, requires the "G 052 990 A2" type transmission fluid, which is its own animal. I've heard of some people substituting Mercon-V in these units with success, but I wouldn't recommend it.
tongue.gif
If the TDI you're referring to truly has a 5-speed Automatic with a manual shift mode, then its a 09A, and requires the special fluid.

The 01M's fluid is avaliable for about $10/L, and the 09A's fluid is avaliable for about $20/L from GermanAutoParts.com. 3L are required for a conventional pan drop/filter change on a 01M, while 2.5L are required on a 09A for the same service.

Do you have access to the car in question?

I ask as my Transtec guide is showing the 2002 TDI to have a 01M transmission:

http://www.transtec.com/selector_guide/Volkswagen.htm

Amsoil's product app guide has not always been accurate, so if you could ask the owner if their transmission is a 4-spd or 5-spd (w/tiptronic), that would be very helpful.

quote:

I asked Amsoil HQ and they have not tested and approved the ATF for the G 052....

The problem here is it should continue with the rest of the VW part number.

I just received a confirmation from Amsoil.

quote:

You have read it right. AMSOIL ATF is recommended to replace G 052 162 type fluid but we do not offer a replacement for the G 052 990 type fluid.

The issue I see is that "Amsoil says the universal ATF will not work" AND "I asked Amsoil HQ and they have not tested and approved the ATF for the G 052".
Just because something isn't tested or approved doesn't mean it won't work.

Is the OEM fluid that overpriced super duper synthetic long life DexronIII with a fancy OEM PN?? If you decide to use the Amsoil(or other brand synthetic), I wouldn't use it as a lifetime fill. Maybe dump it every 30k miles for peace of mind.

How many miles do you have on that OEM fill? What is the owner manual's recommendation for ATF service?

VW considers transaxle fluids to be lifetime fill, with the exception of the DSG transmission, which has a mandatory 40K service interval with a $250 service kit (parts only) consisting of 7L of fluid and a filter.

The 01M transmission should work fine with the Universal ATF. Numerous 01M boxes have been refilled with Dexron-III(H) after rebuilds without issues. The 09A though, I don't know.

A good fluid and frequent changes are really important for the 01M, perhaps the 09A as well. A cooler cannot be added to the 01M as there are no external cooler lines...there's merely a heat reducer unit. Similar to the new BDGA? unit with the 2004+ Acura TL.

"The 01M's fluid is avaliable for about $10/L, and the 09A's fluid is avaliable for about $20/L from GermanAutoParts.com. "

$20 a liter
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I dont know what ATF is in my fiance's 97 jetta eventhough VW says you dont need to change it and wanted something like $600 to change the fluid. Last time i checked she had some thing like 75K so im waiting for the piece of chit to blow.

Quote:

I dont know what ATF is in my fiance's 97 jetta eventhough VW says you dont need to change it and wanted something like $600 to change the fluid. Last time i checked she had some thing like 75K so im waiting for the piece of chit to blow.

What?!? You are having problems with your fine German (mexican made) automobile?

(ditched my wife's 2000 Jetta because you couldn't open the passenger door and the windows would just randomly fall. The 1.8T ran like a scalded dog though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back