how and when to change atf in 04 camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom has a 2004 Toyota Camry with the 2az-fe engine and the 4 speed auto transmission. It will approach 30k soon and I was thinking of having the atf changed. One thing that caught my eye though is that Toyota says that type t-iv fluid doesn't require changing. So I was wondering if it should be changed. Also where is the fluid drained? We will probably be taking it to an independent mechanic but we will buy the toyota fluid and maybe even the oem filter if it isn't outrageously expensive. Thanks for all replies.

According to my sources, a pan drain on a U241E transmission removes 3.7 out of 8.7 quarts. Recommended fluid is Toyota T-IV.

The T-IV fluid is considered to be lifetime fill under most conditions. The anti-wear additive package should provide sufficient protection for the life of the unit.

However, I'd still do a pan drain every 30,000 miles to maintain optimal shift quality. While the fluid may be OK in terms of anti-wear protection, shift quality will suffer if a partial change isn't done periodically. However, the increased fluid changes may only have a minimal effect on transmission life, at best.

This transmission has a conventional pan, along with a media filter. AFAIK, the newer Toyota AW "U" series transmissions requiring Toyota T-IV now contain a media/felt filter. The pan still has a drain plug though. Drain the transmission pan via the drain plug. Refill with new Toyota T-IV. If desired, drop the pan and change the filter, but I'd wait until 60K. Toyota dealerships will tell you that the filter is of a mesh filter, but this is no longer true. Drivewire has the OEM filter, but it costs $45.

Transtar, which is a major parts distributor for transmission shops, should have the transmission filter. Look for SPX/Filtran branded transmission filters, not the China knockoff ones. Mention U241E transmission and they should know what you're talking about. Bulkpart has the filter, but given the ridiculously low price ($5), it's probably the China junk.

PS- How did the ATF drain/fill go on the Civic?

At 30k, you don't need to change the filter.
But, IMO, you are overdue for ATF maintenance. Luckily, AW transmissions wear extremely well so there isn't much stress on the fluid(depends on driving style).

Lifetime hasn't been defined but any automakers. So, the lifetime ATF is a farce.

Perform a simple drain/refill now using the drainplug. And, repeat this drain/refill every 6 months. 4 quarts of ATF should be about ~$20. Labor anywhere should be ~$20 since its easier than an engine oil change.
If you think that twice a year ATF maintenance is a hassle, use the Amsoil universal ATF and do the drain/refill yearly.

At 100k miles, buy the dealer pan gasket($10) and filter($35). If the dealer tries to charge you too much, buy the filter online. Parts.com is a good place to price a filter. And, the dealers I shop at always price match when I print the online prices. Hopefully yours will.

The dealer isn't the only source for T-IV. Too bad that auto parts stores don't carry it. But, use your yellow pages and find oil distributors that carry Mobil products. You want the Mobil 3309 ATF. They should sell you a 12 quart case and the price should be a lot cheaper than the dealer's per quart pricing.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3309.asp

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx

Thanks for both of your replies they're very helpful.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
PS- How did the ATF drain/fill go on the Civic?

Last time when I changed the oil I didn't have time to get to it but this time I will.

128.gif
Why not just do a powerflush with machine at dealership and remove all the ATF fluid in one shot?
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
But, IMO, you are overdue for ATF maintenance. Luckily, AW transmissions wear extremely well so there isn't much stress on the fluid(depends on driving style).

Lifetime hasn't been defined but any automakers. So, the lifetime ATF is a farce.

Perform a simple drain/refill now using the drainplug. And, repeat this drain/refill every 6 months. 4 quarts of ATF should be about ~$20. Labor anywhere should be ~$20 since its easier than an engine oil change.
If you think that twice a year ATF maintenance is a hassle, use the Amsoil universal ATF and do the drain/refill yearly.

At 100k miles, buy the dealer pan gasket($10) and filter($35). If the dealer tries to charge you too much, buy the filter online. Parts.com is a good place to price a filter. And, the dealers I shop at always price match when I print the online prices. Hopefully yours will.

The dealer isn't the only source for T-IV. Too bad that auto parts stores don't carry it. But, use your yellow pages and find oil distributors that carry Mobil products. You want the Mobil 3309 ATF. They should sell you a 12 quart case and the price should be a lot cheaper than the dealer's per quart pricing.

Why not make it a one shot drain and get all the ATF fluid out with filter.

128.gif
All of this sounds like after the break in of all components like the engine (first oil change to remove shavings) it is not necessary to drain and change fluids in auto trans and rear diff. to remove metal shavings.
confused.gif
dunno.gif

I agree with unDummy. Use the drain plug and service periodically to maintain good shift quality. Amsoil costs about 50% more than OEM, but will give you longer fluid life.

If you decide to use M1 ATF, be sure to add Lubegard HFM Supplement at the recommended dosage. Lubegard's Black Bottle HFM Supplement is $12/bottle at Napa Auto Parts.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
I agree with unDummy. Use the drain plug and service periodically to maintain good shift quality. Amsoil costs about 50% more than OEM, but will give you longer fluid life.

If you decide to use M1 ATF, be sure to add Lubegard HFM Supplement at the recommended dosage. Lubegard's Black Bottle HFM Supplement is $12/bottle at Napa Auto Parts.

Redline you don't need to add any additional friction modifier if you have posi.
What's more important is the frequency of change. How often you will change it. Some of these synthetics last and can go a long time but I don't think I would want to go that long.
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Perform a simple drain/refill now using the drainplug. And, repeat this drain/refill every 6 months.

Why do you think 30k is overdue? I know very little about car care and this is what I've always thought. Plus can you give a mileage for your recommendation because the amount of miles driven on the cars in our family varies so the amount of miles every 6 months is different. In addition I will be going to college in 1.5 months and will be leaving my car at home so the other two will probably get less miles because my car gets the best gas mileage out of the three. I will be surprised if the Camry has even 5k on it in 6 months. Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by stingray427:
128.gif
Why not just do a powerflush with machine at dealership and remove all the ATF fluid in one shot?
cheers.gif

Umm...from what I've read on here, some people think that flushing a trasmission isn't that good for it. And yeah it would be around 10-12 quarts of fluid which means a lot of money.

Is there anyone that sells Amsoil ATF cheaper than amsoil.com? I'm interested in it for my Civic if not the Camry too. But I don't see myself buying it for $8.80 a quart if I were to drain it every 10k for my Civic. And even for the case pricing its only $0.10 cheaper per quart.

If you do a complete change, you can run the Amsoil ATF for at least 60k miles, even if you drive very hard.

Amsoil does have a preferred customer program for $20.00/year if you're buying a fair amount of oil/filters. This saves you 20%-25% off the retail price....Talk to MSparks (a site sponsor) for details.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
If you do a complete change, you can run the Amsoil ATF for at least 60k miles, even if you drive very hard.

Amsoil does have a preferred customer program for $20.00/year if you're buying a fair amount of oil/filters. This saves you 20%-25% off the retail price....Talk to MSparks (a site sponsor) for details.

TS

Ok thanks. With the 60k interval does all the fluid have to be Amsoil at once or can this be attained over several drain and refills?

If you want to do a simple pan drop and change, I'd do that every 30k or so. Once you're done it a few times and have 75%-90% synthetic in there, you could probably extend that interval. The best thing to do at that point would be to take an oil sample and have it tested.

TS

My opinion only:

I would use Amsoil ATF and drain the pan every 20-30K instead of attempting to do a complete flush/fill in a single session.

You'll need 12 quarts to drain/fill the unit three times in one setting, to obtain an 80-85% synthetic content in the transmission.

Instead, you should consider using those same 12 quarts, and doing a 4 quart drain/fill every 30K. This way, the fluid will always remain fresh, and the shift quality could possibly be better given the periodic fluid "refreshing."

Same goes for your Civic. Buy 9 quarts, and do a drain/fill every 30K with Amsoil ATF instead of doing three drain/fills at one sitting. You'll obtain better results by spreading out those drain/fills on a periodic basis.

quote:

128.gif
On the Mobil One site all the info is the same under each category no info on other Mobil One products
confused.gif

So it is Mobil One vs. Amsoil? Which is then better?
dunno.gif

3309 is NOT Mobil"1". It is just Mobil, without the "1".
IMO, Amsoil is better than T-IV/3309 fluid.
Mobil"1" ATF is now a multivehicle. I'd have no problem using it(maybe with a little lubegard). But, Mobil"1" doesn't want to compete with Mobil for the T-IV business, hence no mention of T-IV on the multivehicle Mobil"1" ATF info sheet.
Will M1 ATF work, probably! But, I'd keep the Lubegard handy just in case shift isn't smooth enough.

A one shot would require a full 12+ quarts flush using a transtec type machine.
A 4 quart drain/refill is simple maintenance. IMO, there is NO need for a flush machine when a tranny has a drainplug. Just perform regular drain/refills based on time or mileage. The thread starter, IMO, is overdue.

Filters rarely clog in AT's. And when they do, the trans is toast anyway. My 100k recommendation on the pan drop for filter change is basically to clean the pan & magnets. Changing the filter is just the excuse to drop the pan. Even at 100k, I doubt that it'll need changing. But, the magnet will need cleaning, and ANY time the pan drops, the filter should be changed cause you're there already.

There is no best ATF. OEM, 3309, and Amsoil are the easy choices 'cause you won't need the $15 bottle of lubegard platinum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back