Power Steering Fluid or ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of flushing my power steering system in my Nissan Frontier and would like some opinions on what fluid to refill with. My owners manual states the following...

"Genuine NISSAN PSF, Canada NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid, DexronTM III/MerconTM, or equivalent ATF may also be used."

I've already bought some Prestone Power Steering Fluid from Wal-Mart in the red quarts bottles and know it is clear versus the red fluid in there now with 80000 miles on it. I'm assuming the factory fill is with ATF Dexron III/Mercon.....should I just take the Prestone back and get some Castrol ATF and keep it like factory fill?....or will the Prestone work fine in my truck and not cause problems like leaks, etc..?

Thanks!

Some people say PS fluid is just ATF without the red dye. Either one will work fine, PS systems arn't very picky and last forever with basic maintenance.

Personally, I think you'd be fine with the Mercon ATF in lieu of the PS fluid.
Every vehicle Ive ever owned calls for ATF for PS fluid and so does yours.
Since the manual states Mercon could be used, it seems logical that they should be backwards compatable.

I used Dexron III (Mobil 1 ATF) in my Infiniti (Nissan). My manual says you can use either: PS fluid or Dexron III ATF. I've had no problems from the power steering with the ATF in there.

If it was me, I would go with Dextron. I'm sure if that you could used all that PS fluid and then go back to ATF. If it spec with PS fluid, you should have no real problems with it.

The fluids should be interchangeable, the Super Tech PS fluid states it is compatible with factory fluids. I believe the Prestone fluid states the same thing. I've never had any problems mixing the fluids when draining the reservoir and topping off.

Which ATF is "slipperyest"? I mean which would have the most FMs for the PS system, ATF+4? I know most call for Dex, but could another ATF be betterer? I've used Multi ATF, MaxLife and M1. I wonder if M1 could substitute for expensive CHFs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back