ATF cooler return line - which is it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
2k Honda Civic. in diag below, which "ATF cooler hose" is the return line? want to do the cooler line fluid exchange....
 -

Not meaning to sound like a smart*** but pull one hose at a time off of the radiator. When the fluid comes out of the radiator, the line removed is the return line.

Though, if I had to take a guess, I would try the right (if looking straight at the radiator) line. I once heard that the return line is usually located higher up on the transmission, but I cannot verify that for all cars. Just disconnect it and turn the engine on for about 5 seconds and shut it down. Be sure to put a hose over it so it won't spray all over the place.

so, to summarize:
1) disconnect either hose
2) have helper start engine, put into gear
3a) if fluid comes out the hose, the other one is the return line
3b) if fluid comes out the cooler, the disconnected hose is the return line.
4) connect discharge tube to the cooler outlet, and proceed with the fluid exchange.

got it.

Or, just drain/fill three to four times to accomplish the same effect.

You would've replaced > 85% of the fluid after four drain/fills, if not > 90%.

Beware of delicate cooler lines or ones with "rusted" fittings.

That's right sky jumper, and The Critic's advice is good too. Drain and fill, drive for a week, do another drain and fill, and repeat 4-5 times and you should have nearly the same ratio as if doing a cooler line flush (based that on all of the forum post I have read about drain and fills on BITOG).

Your Honda more than likely has a drain plug, which makes the drain and fills MUCH easier. My car only has the pan and filter, which is not a fun chore to remove.

If you don't want to bother with 1/2 dozen drain refills, stick with the cooler line flush. But, you'll still need to do a drain/refill prior to starting.

Disconnect either ATF cooler line hose. Attach some hose to the disconnected ATF fitting(purchased from the local hardware store--3/8, 5/16, or 11/32" hose). Aim both hoses into the bucket. When you start the vehicle, your ATF will flow out of 1 of the hoses. Do the flush and label the ATF flow with a paint pen for future flushes(not needed if you practice the simple yearly drain/refill once or twice a year).

Also, if there is ATF flow in P or N, there is no need to have your helper put the tranny in D.

Actually on Honda transaxles, the cooler return line is easy to spot. The cooler return line always goes to the differential part of the case. This is right above the area where the axles go into the transaxle (near the speedometer or vss if present).

Typically this is the line on the tranaxle closest to the firewall.

In the illustration, it's the blue line. Good guess Tyrant.
grin.gif

-

DH

All you need to do is to disconnect one line, disable the engine so it won't start, and crank it. You'll see ATF flow.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back