Valvoline SynPower vs. Mobil 1 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the MSDS for both of these products as I need to change the fluid in the rear end of my 1998 Ford Mustang GT.

Reading the MSDS for Valvoline SynPower 75W-90 was interesting in that...

1) It says it is a 100% semi-synthetic. How can that be when it is called "Full Synthetic Gear Oil"?

2) The flash point is 134ºC (273.2ºF).

3) Not sure how cold it will pour to.

The Mobil 1 75W-90 MSDS says...

1) Still pours at -46ºC (-50.8ºF).

2) The flash point is 175ºC (347ºF).

It sounds like Mobil 1 is a superior product.

Thoughts?

Ive run both and loved both. My personal preference however is redline for rearend oil, their oils really keep my torsen posi working well.

I am actually debating about taking the SynPower back to NAPA as I paid about $13 per qt. I can get Mobil 1 for $8 per qt. and it is easier to find.

I am also debating about using Motorcraft Synthetic 75W-90. Might anyone know who makes it?

I've heard that Valvoline is expensive, a co-worker of mine said it cost him about $50 for 4 quarts. I highly doubt Valvoline's is that much better to cost nearly twice the price of Amsoil 80w-90, 75w-90 Long Life, (at least with preferred customer pricing) or Mobil 1 75w-90. Even Redline gear oils are $10 or less, if I'm not mistaken.

Your co-worker was telling the truth for sure. I paid $13 a bottle so 4 would have cost $52
shocked.gif

Buford T. Justice, I'm gonna try to be respectful ... seeing as you're a man of the law ... with over 30 years seniority.
wink.gif

But I just can't see shelling out $10 or more per quart for products of indifferent quality.
freak2.gif

I have never been impressed with either Mobil 1 or Valvoline gear lubes. They both smell like sulphur (old-style add packs) and (at least until recently) were rated only GL-5 making them unsuitable for some gear oil applications.

You can get Red Line, Amsoil or Specialty Formulations for less than $10 per quart. I can't see messing around with anything else.
spaz.gif

I bought 3 bottles of Mobil 1 75W-90 yesterday. Hopefully my mechanic can put it in for me this evening. I wish I had a nice hydraulic car lift to do stuff like that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back