Mobil 1 ATF synthetic in 01M tranny (Volks)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a ATF compatible with Esso LT 71141 or Pentosin for my Volkswagen Cabrio 1996 with 01M tranny....
Is ''Mobil 1'' synthetic ATF or ''Tech 2000'' synthetic ATF (Wall Mart) compatible?
If you have other suggestions too....welcome!!

I don't want spend a lot with oil because Ia ma not sure that this will solve the problem.....(Tranny working OK cold but not hot).....
Thanks for your help...

Esso LT-71141 is an "upgraded" Dex III fluid from what I've been told by Lubegard. In fact, Lubegard told me to use M1 ATF + Lubegard Red in these units.

I know that FazerZ uses Dex-III in his in-house rebuilt VW transmissions without issues.

Amsoil recommends their Universal ATF for Esso LT-71141 applications, FYI, and is about the same price as M1. Contact one of the site sponsorers.

Change the fluid and any serviceable filters.

Use any synthetic Dexron III.

What problems are you having?
Does your year still have a dipstick?

Thanks for all these advices....
It's a 1996 VW Cabrio 2 liters with 01M tranny...no dipstick!
Cold the tranny works great( except it does not stay long in 3rd,it goes in 4th ..) ;
After a few miles it may shift rough from 1 to 2 and when shifting from 3 to 4,it 's like it was going in neutral for a short time and go high in rpm !
Also it is worth if I push more on the gas pedal....
It downshift too with difficulty....for example at 70mph in 4th....I would have to slow down till say 30mph to get the tranny to shift in 3rd....
Hoter outside temperature is,worth symptoms are....

Thanks guys for your help......
I would like use Auto RX but I can't do a complete flush after 1500 miles because the tranny is ''sealed'' and there are no oil cooling lines (just oil to coolant built-in the tranny)!
What can I do then? Just drop pan,change filter and about 3 quarts ATF over 5 quarts total?
Thanks again for your help
Michel

Maintenance on those so-called sealed transmissions suck.

Your transmission sounds like its dying. Start with the pan drop/filter change/refill and see if it helps. If it does, then do a couple more fluid changes. If it doesn't, test all tranny electronics. Save money for a rebuild.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
I'd clean it with Auto-Rx, then use Red Line D4 ATF.

I second the use of Red Line D4. It made a world of difference in my '00 Passat over the OEM fluid.

quote:

Originally posted by naelec:
Thanks guys for your help......
I would like use Auto RX but I can't do a complete flush after 1500 miles because the tranny is ''sealed'' and there are no oil cooling lines (just oil to coolant built-in the tranny)!
What can I do then? Just drop pan,change filter and about 3 quarts ATF over 5 quarts total?
Thanks again for your help
Michel

It isn't mandatory to change ALL of the fluid.

Even a T-Tech will not replace ALL of the fluid. T-Tech services generally remove 80-90% of the old fluid.

The best way to use Auto-RX in this transmission is to add the recommended 6 oz, run it for 1500 miles, then drop the pan, change the filter, and fill with new M1 ATF.

Wait 5000 miles, then drop the pan, and fill with new fluid again. You don't need to change the filter the second time.

Good morning gentlemen
Thanks for all these good advices!
I do start the work right now and I'll give you feedback in 5000 miles!
Have a good day

You need to use a vag com to check the transmission temperature. It has to be at a specific temperature range (35-45 C/95-113F)when you check it and start at 30C or below.

Also change the differential/final drive fluid if you want. You remove the speedometer drive and pump the fluid out and fill back in that hole. It takes 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. Good Luck.

Good morning
When you say to use M1 ATF......Sorry.....who make this one?

Thanks againfor those who took the time to help me...

M1 ATF is Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. You can also use Amsoil ATF, which can be ordered from a site sponsorer.

As for checking the fluid level, you can "feel" the bottom of the pan to get a good idea of the transmission temperature...it shouldn't take more than 3 minutes for the transmission to reached the designated temperature range. Of course, the better way is to simply reinstall the amount of fluid you took out.

You describe "flare" between shifts and what appears to be line pressure problems. When the visc is high ..proper shifting ..when warm ...mis-cued shifts. The thing is, in some modern trans it could be some sensor/software issue. Straight hydraulics were so much easier to diagnos generically.
frown.gif

I know all the people on tdiclub.com state that "if it's red, it's wrong" when it comes to tranny fluid. I asked the same question over there a while back, which was largely ignored. The responses I did get seemed to indicate it was a really bad idea, and to stick with the OEM stuff, which seems to be a pretty unique fluid. (Clear, pretty thin?) I am just going to spend the 40 bucks and get the OEM stuff on our 01 Jetta with the same tranny, it has gotten it this far just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back