Is STP power steering fluid "Dexron" type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bottle, and it doesn't seem to say anything anywhere about what it really is. Just "Power Steering Fluid", in a white bottle, with red cap and lettering.

Anyone got a clue? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

This looks like the GM style power steering fluid. I don't think there are any dexron power steering fluids that are marketed as such. Usually you would just grab a bottle of dexron III and toss it in the power steering reservoir.

So, this is NOT a Dexron type fluid? And is not OK for my car?

So I wouldn't really be looking for a power steering fluid w/ a Dexron spec, but a bottle that actually says "dexron III"?

If your manual says to use Dexron III then you have a power steering pump that specifies transmission fluid in the power steering system. I consider it an advantage, it's very easy to find and is cheaper.

Dexron is GM's automatic transmission fluid spec. It is not a power steering fluid spec. ATF is widely used as a hydraulic oil, and sometimes used as the hydraulic oil in power steering. If the power steering unit says to use only Dexron ATF, that's what I'd use, and I prefer a synthetic.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back