CVT transmission service requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed a few of the current and future cars are equiped with CVT trans. Does any one have a clue to the service requirements, fluids, adjustments that this type of trans has? Also any idea how durable a CVT is?

thanks RT

Fresh fluid is essential, if a CVT ever slip it will never be the same again. Toyota's CVT is different, they use gear and electric motors instead of belt and is literally maintanence free.

The CVT on our Ford Freestyle SE FWD had been nothing more than fantastic. Kick it down and it hauls __s.
Towing a 1500lb trailer no problem.
Great fuel mileage. 25-29 mpg highway.
I don't have the manual in font of me but If I remember right they say to service it at 60,000 miles. And to use CVT Fluid. I have never seen or heard of the stuff. There is no fluid check stick it is fully sealed. It also has a huge cooler. After you get used to driving one, you really enjoy it. Not have the up and down shifts makes driving very enjoyable.

The fresh fluid concept is unrealistic and entirely ludicrous with most transmissions, conventional or CVT. The key is to service the transmission per the OEM service intervals, with the approved fluid fill, along with a fresh filter and pan cleaning at the service.

My recollection is that Ford does not require a fluid change until 150K on the Freestyle's transmission, which is the ZF CFT30 unit, provided that you do not tow nor operate under the listed "special conditions." If you wish to practice a more frequent service interval, then a fluid and filter change every 50,000 miles would be quite conservative, IMO.

Also, the term "sealed transmission" does not exist. All transmissions are serviceable; it's just that some of them may require more effort to refill and find the refilling plugs.

I can see it now, expensive future CVT replacements caused by OEM's recommended maintenance intervals.

CVT are durable. Their fluid is very specific. At least the MFG's were smart to test them on smaller lower powered vehicles and then ramp up capacity with technology over time.

I just don't care for being the guinea pig. I'll avoid CVT's for another decade.

What I was trying to say about sealed transmission was there is no stick to check the oil. Not that they are not serviceable... There is a drain plug and a filler plug. After looking in my owners manual it list a fluid change every 60,000 miles...
CVT's have been used for years on large tractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back