Stupid tranny fluid question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newb to this forum and I have a dumb question. I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to transmissions. I have a 1995 Z28 Camaro. I'm trying to figure out if I should change the fluid in my 4l60e or if I should leave it. From what I understand, if you let your tranny fluid go for too long without being changed, it is better not to change it because it will cause slipping in the tranny and do more harm than good. My car currently has 142,000 miles and I picked it up with 139,000 miles so I don't know its history. I checked my fluid and it was still red and not a brown color. It did have some black in it but the overall color was clearly red. Should I be ok to change the fluid or should I just leave it? Also if I should change it, what is the best fluid for the 4l60e?

I would do a fluid and filter change. Any name brand Dexron III fluid should do fine. Just make sure you get the latest H-spec fluid.

I agree. I have changed fluid on many high milage cars with raunchy fluid with no trauma. As long as the trans is still functioning properly the risk is very low.

Even if the trans is just starting to act up it may be worth trying a fluid change before commiting to a trans overhaul. If it is slipping, it is probably too late. If it just has "morning sickness" it might improve. I've had luck with that more often than not.

quote:

How is the mobil 1 dexron in these cars?

I installed Mobil 1 full-synthetic ATF in my Ford AX4N transmission on Friday. I'm very pleased; whereas with the old fluid it shift well, now with Mobil 1 ATF, I can't tell where shift points are. Extremely smooth and silky.

It was worth the effort expended to install it. I'll never go back to dino ATF. Try it; I believe your reaction will be similar.

Here's a list of vehicles it's approved for:

Exxon-Mobil Corporation wrote:
quote:

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

Outperforms conventional ATF and meets General Motors'
Dexron® III and Ford's Mercon® and Mercon® V requirements.
Also recommended for Chrysler automatic transmissions.

Fully synthetic formula provides outstanding resistance to
oil breakdown and deposits under severe duty and high
temperatures.

Helps extend transmission life through excellent durability
and protection

For many GM, Ford and import vehicles. Approved for use in
vehicles specifying:

Dexron III, Dexron IIIE, Dexron

Approved for H specification, the latest GM Dexron III
performance level

Mercon, Mercon V

Recommended for Allison C-4 and Caterpillar TO-2
applications

Recommended for Chrysler automatic transmissions

quote:

I still don't think that stuff should be used in place of Mercon V.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
I still don't think that stuff should be used in place of Mercon V.

Why not? Mobil 1 ATF is a licensed Mercon V fluid.
rolleyes.gif

No question is a stupid question, if it's one for which you do not know the answer...and if you are honestly seeking, and need, the answer. I think you've been given good advice in the above posts.
It sounds like either your transmission has been given proper care, or perhaps, the prior owner changed the ATF prior to selling the car. The way you describe the shifting characteristics, I would not hesitate to change the fluid, and start the car on your own maintenance interval, of say, ATF pan drains/filter changes every 15K to 30K. Good luck!

Change the fluid and filter, but do NOT have the tranny flushed. Using a high solvent content flush can cause trouble. Use a good Dex III fluid, and you can order tranny parts at www.bulkpart.com unless you wanted to buy local.

The fluid may look OK but at that mileage, it has broken down quite a bit. When you have done the fluid change compare the old fluid to the new fluid and you will see a big difference. Hopefully the fluid got changed at some point in its life.

Other topic - I also don't think that I would want to use Mobil 1 in place of Mercon V. I did some research before doing the infamous "j-mod" and fluid change (used Mercon V in place of Mercon) in my 95 Crown Vic. I did not find a lot of support for the Mobil 1. I'm not saying it's bad, just relating what I had found. I wound up using the Castrol M-V, so far so good.

Do a pan drop to change fluid and filter, and add a drain plug while the pan is off. Then you can do regular changes with less hassle.

Change the fluid. There is no harm in changing it if you do it right. Drop the pan, change the filter and drain the cooler in the radiator. If it is really bad, change the fluid again.

My ATF was black and burnt when I bought my car at 210,000 miles, now it's red and still shifting good at 245,000.

-T

I agree with Schmoe and Mud.

A friend who was a Ford transmission design engineer for many years (he helped design the 4R70W, and is the "J" in J-mod) has repeatedly said NOT to use Mercon V in any application where it wasn't originally spec'd (the 4R70W excepted). Ford themselves have repeatedly said NOT to use Mercon V in the 4R100, or else.

So how can one fluid be rated as acceptable for use in BOTH applications (Mercon AND Mercon V), if the applications are mutually exclusive? I still think this is all marketing hoo-ha; I'll stick with Motorcraft MV for those applications and one of the major DexIII/Mercons for everything else.

It's not marketing hoo-ha if the fluid is licensed by Ford for both Mercon and Mercon V, and by GM for DexronIII(H).

Unless, of course, you believe that Ford and/or GM would license a non-compliant product for one of those specs. In which case, just about any fluid would be suspect, wouldn't it?

OBTW, Motorcraft Mercon V is now also licensed for Mercon and DexronIIIH.

Guess you'll have to find a dealer who still has some of the old non-dual rated stuff in stock.

Mud wrote:
quote:

Change the fluid and filter, but do NOT have the tranny flushed. Using a high solvent content flush can cause trouble..

Totally agree.

I prefer method of 2 or 3 sequential fluid changes over as many months, as a simple fluid change effects just under half of total fluid in transmission. Don't forget ATF left behind in torque convertor, radiator cooler and other static locations of transmission.

For example, My AX4N transmission contain 14 quarts of ATF. A fluid change take 7 quarts of ATF.
quote:

Other topic - I also don't think that I would want to use Mobil 1 in place of Mercon V. I did some research before doing the infamous "j-mod" and fluid change (used Mercon V in place of Mercon) in my 95 Crown Vic. I did not find a lot of support for the Mobil 1. I'm not saying it's bad, just relating what I had found. I wound up using the Castrol M-V, so far so good.

To reiterate my earlier position, Mobil 1 ATF is licenced for Mercon V.

As your post read, you're comparing Red Delicious to Granny Smith apples.
wink.gif

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF has the following builder approvals:
Allison C-4
Ford Mercon
General Motors Dexron III

Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF
General Motors’ DEXRON III X
Ford’s MERCON ATF X
Ford’s MERCON V X
Ford ESP-M2C166H X
Ford ESP-M2C138CJ X

Mobil Mercon V Synthetic Blend has the following builder approvals:
Ford Mercon V
Ford Mercon
General Motors’ Dexron III
General Motors’ Dexron II

XOM PDS search engine
dunno.gif

Exxon Mobil Corporation wrote:
quote:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

For many GM, Ford and import vehicles. Approved for use in vehicles specifying:
  • Dexron III, Dexron IIIE, Dexron
  • Approved for H specification, the latest GM Dexron III performance level
  • Mercon, Mercon V
  • Recommended for Allison C-4 and Caterpillar TO-2 applications
  • Recommended for Chrysler automatic transmissions

Mobil 1 ATF have only received Mercon V licence at beginning of year, so all websites may have not been updated yet.

Additionally, be careful of product purchased and ensure product label specifies Mercon V. Old Mercon only product may still be on store shelves. This is especially true at retail level, though not so much at commercial level because of higher product flow rate.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back