Mystery Solved! Genuine Honda ATF-Z1's color and odor is irrelevant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Users of Genuine Honda ATF-Z1 have found this fluid to turn dark brown and emit a "burnt" odor within a very short period of time, often in 30,000 miles or less, espcially in the V6 applications. As I have previously suspected, the Genuine Honda ATF-Z1's appearance of discoloration and "burnt" smell does not necessairly indicate that the fluid is no longer serviceable, as indicated by this bulletin from an A/T Replacement and Diagnostics bulletin. Mopar ATF+4 exhibits a similar behavior (discoloration and producing an odor), and Chrysler explicitly states in their owner's manual that a color change and odor production does not necessairly indicate the need for a fluid change.

Jay's 62K UOA of the factory fill ATF in his '02 RSX 5-spd AT verifies the color/odor irrelevance:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=50;t=000019

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Another good argument for a UOA to determine fluid oxidation.

Agree 100%. If I ever buy a Honda, I'll change the ATF every 30K, but if it turns brown in between 30K intervals, I won't break a sweat knowing that this may be a normal behavior.

I agree that color change is pretty meaningless, but burned oxidized smell means something organic got very hot. I don't care what Honda may be implying or saying, I think it's another foul excuse for a mal-designed AT that simply does not hold enough fluid capacity.

Mine looks and smells fine at 3000 miles, but if say, under 10K it starts smelling truly burnt, I'm still doing a UOA and switching to Amsoil ATF....or getting the tranny replaced under warranty
smile.gif

I also subscribe to the (apparently) old school theory that cherry red ATF equals a happy AT. If you own a Honda though, why not just change it every other time you change the oil? Being a true "spill and fill" system with the drainplug it's almost easier than changing the oil and filter.

Mike - that Honda statement doesn't help my churning gut!
smile.gif

I agree with Mola - just because the fluid is noticeably oxidizing - doesn't always mean all is well in my trannie's nether regions.

Hyundai also issued a TSB that the color of their SPIII fluid will degrade after several thousand miles, and it is not cause for concern. However, they do note that a burned smell is NOT good.

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
For $900, I would have just gone to a muffler shop.

Yeah, but then you wouldn’t get a Genuine Honda® converter put on by a Genuine Honda® technician with Genuine Honda® training using Genuine Honda® parts who took 6.32 hours to do the work because he took four coffee breaks to drink Genuine Honda® coffee and five bathroom breaks, where he used Genuine Honda® toilet paper (twice) and washed his hands with Genuine Honda® soap (maybe).

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
For $900, I would have just gone to a muffler shop.

I did better than that, I found an aftermarket replacement for about $120 and changed it myself! I would have probably let Honda do it with an OEM part if it had been a resonable $300, but they can stick it for $900 (I actually think is more like $950).

I didnt realize it was expensive. I use it but dont pay for it. (Dealer tech perks) I dont know anything about the fluid beyond what is allready in general knowledge.

BTW G-Man II I got a good laugh from reading your post. The problem is that they only pay us about 1/5 what they end up charging the customer for labor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back