What ATF to use in 95 Ford Explorer with 4R55E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, sorry to ask a repetitive BITOG question, but need some suggestions. I have finished the auto-rx treatment on the 4R55E transmission, (actually im about 700 miles over yikes). I was going to use SF Autoglide, but since its now almost $20 more per gallon, im looking for cheaper options probabley dino, there is a distributer near me with $25 a case Chevron ATF. BTW i know this question has been debated many times, can i use Mercon V in my transmission?, the manual specs regular mercon. What other good relativley inexpensive atfs are out there? Any other suggestions for me? I'm planning on getting a T-Tech flush at the shop near me, only because I have a coupon for 10% discount on any service, and their T-Tech service is only $40. (the fluid the shop uses is bulk Valvolin, don't know how good the atf would be) Thanks in advance for your comments.

What year 5R55E? I believe 98 was the year they switched spec's to MercV. Valvo was one of the only readily available MercV ATF's when I bought my 01 with the 5R55E (mechanically the same as you 4R55E). I've mixed Merc spec'd oils and have not had any negative results, but the highest mileage vehicle in the fleet is only 100K miles (that has been run w/ MercV).

I've used the Valvo with great results, although the Chevron you are looking at probably has better base oil than the Valvoline. Also ran MC and Castrol for a short time. I bought some SF AutoGlide and that has made a world of difference in performance. I'm sure I'll continue to use SF.

I would put a drain plug in the pan so it's easily to drain the pan. If it does not already have an aux cooler install one, these trans get warm. When installing the cooler I would put a filter in there as well, Magnafine or spin-on, whatever ya like.
smile.gif

FWIW,

I use our MerconV in our daughter's 98 Explorer 4X4 with the 4.0L SOHC engine.

It says "use MerconV" on the diptstick.

Well the 4r55e in my 95 Explorer 4.0L OHV, says use Mercon in the manual, and on the dipstick, but i don't know if mercon v had even been marketed yet.

This is what I pulled up in Ford's computer for 95 Explorer 4R55E:

Automatic Transmission Refill Capacity Vehicle Engine Approximate Refill Capacity a
Liters U.S. Quarts
Explorer, Ranger 4x2 — 9.0 9.5
Explorer, Ranger 4x4 — 9.3 10.8

a Approximate dry capacity, includes cooler and lines. Fluid level indicator should be used to determine actual fluid requirements and fluid specification. Check level at normal operating temperature. DO NOT OVERFILL.
If it is necessary to add or replace fluid, use only fluid which has been certified by the supplier as meeting one of the Ford Motor Company specifications shown.
Note: Use fluid meeting specification Motorcraft MERCON® WSP-M2C185-A

TheLoneRanger: You are correct, 97 was the first year for MercV in the 4R44E/4R55E/5R55E (and maybe others as well), not 98 as I had thought earlier - I verified when I was in the Ford network.

thanks for the information 1040 Wreckerman, the manual for my explore says 10 quarts total capcity, not 10.8 though, i guess ill find out when i go to get it flushed.

I believe 97 was the first year for Mercon V use. I've read that it was developed to help with torque converter 'shudder', that plagued many Ford trans of that era. You could probably use it in a 95 with good results, but it's hard to recommend anything other than what the factory does.

If it were mine, I'd probably use the factory recommended Mercon/Dexron III type, and change it often. Or you could use a synthetic M/D III, which might out-perform the MercV, and would still fall within Ford specifications for your model....

My 2000 Explorer uses MercV, and I do a 3 quart exchange every summer, just to keep my OCD in check.

The manual lists refill capacity I think, the above is for dry fill. Extra .8 for cooler and lines, which normally isn't "drained." Probably just want to buy a case anyway, just in case the driveway ends up a quart overfull
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back