mitsubishi sp III trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a good replacement ATF for a 2001 Galant requiring SP III fluid? Has regular 30k atf changes using SP III. Car has 80k on it. Amsoil, SF, Schaeffers? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Scott

despite dealer warnings, i put amsoil in my '01 montero 4spd at ~15k. they claim mitsu sp3 compliance.

~70k later, it still looks & smells new. tranny temp decreased noticeably, and mileage increased ~5% (transfer case/diffs changed to amsoil concurrently). highly recommended! didn't change the shift quality/timing one bit.

use the leftover in your power steering. lightened the effort a bunch!

dookie

Look for SPIII ATF at Hyundai and Kia dealers. It should be cheaper than the Mitsu dealer.

Only use SPIII in Mitsu vehicles.

Specialty Formulations may be able to custom formulate a SPIII type ATF for you.

Otherwise, don't use any other off the shelf ATF.

undummy was joking about Pennz MultiATF. DO NOT USE IT.

It's a BITOG "question the conventional wisdom" thing... (aka, "What do automaker transmission designers know about the lube requirements and performance potential of their designs, anyway?")

I wasn't joking. Not everyone wants to fill the dealers pockets with profit margin.

The big fuss is with the slip control clutch in the TC. Normal ATF(like Dexron) will shudder and help destroy the TC along with the tranny.
The multivehicle fluids are frictioned modified and the name brands are good enough not to cause any incompatibility issues.

atf+4 will work as many mitsubishi's trans are the same as dodge both are built in Normal IL.I use atf+4 in my 02 galant because Mitsu dealer in Odessa tx said get fuild from dodge. 3 fluid changes later no problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Yep - "one size fits all". (According to my better half, doesn't work for panty-hose, either.)

sure it's your 'other half' Ray ??
tongue.gif

Its not the same. ATF+4 is friction modified for smooth slip controlled shifts and TC lockup. So, it is similar to the SPIII which is just another HFM'd fluid.

As long as the fluid doesn't change the feel of the shift excessively, then it'll work.

If you decide to use a non-SPIII fluid, make sure that the torque converter locking and tranny shifting remain the same as before. If not, you should dose it with a fluid converter. Abrubt shifting and TC shudder means that you need more fluid convertor.

MerconV and multivehicle fluids are highly friction modified more so than Mercon/Dexron. But, they might not be HFM'd enough.
Enough HFM'd = smooth shifts and smooth TC lookup.
Too much HFM'd = smooth shift and TC lockup, but possibly full power slippage and wear(very noticeable on tired trannies and those requiring lesser HFM'd fluids).
Too little HFM'd = abrubt shorter clunkier shifts along with TC shudder. And, if the tranny times the shift, excessively grabby fluid could cause a line pressure drop, more slippage, less holding capacity, and increased wear.

You should also reset the TCM when you switch or change your ATFs. This will eliminate any confusion caused by the learned/adaptive transmission parameters. This is usually done by leaving the battery disconnected overnight or with a obd scanner. Reference your FSM.

While searching for information prior to purchasing a '97 Galant for my daughter, one thing became quite clear... the tranny's can be problematic if not taken care of.

When ever someone posted about having a tranny problem and was then questioned about service intervals and fluid used, it almost always (I never say never or always
wink.gif
) came back to lack of regular maintenance or using ATF other than SPIII.

I learned from other's mistakes, but you can learn however you like. I will say, though, that a rebuilt tranny is more expensive than the correct fluid.

quote:

Its not the same. ATF+4 is friction modified for smooth slip controlled shifts and TC lockup. So, it is similar to the SPIII which is just another HFM'd fluid.

I don't quite get your point here.
dunno.gif
It is not the same, but it is similar? I probably misused the word same. What I meant to say was that they were interchangeable. Are they interchangeable, or not? (in you opinion).

Post it if you can, or at least copy the salient text. I don't mind paying Hyundai dealerships' exhorbitant pricing for SP-III if it'll preserve my tranny, but I would consider an alternative if it's truly equivalent. Like the man said above, even the priciest ATF is a LOT cheaper than a tranny rebuild if it's gonna be on my nickel.

Every HFM fluid may have different friction modifiers that are exclusive to the materials used in the recommended application. Thus, it is not wise to substitute ATF+4 for SP-III. While the two may be "HFM" fluids, the materials that the friction modifiers in ATF+4 react to, to deliver a smooth shift, may not be identical to the ones found in SP-III type fluids. While it may work in the short term, the long-term effects are unknown.

So use the OEM fluid or at least an aftermarket multi-vehicle fluid.

Sorry my scanner's down but I took a picture with my
phone. P.M. me and I will send picture of lube cross referance sheet. It says for F4a/W4A 4speed transmissions (01 galant has this tranny) ATF+4.The Galants were built at the Double Star Motors factory
in Normal Ill, a joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. This tranny is in many Chrysler products
and they all run with ATF+4
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back