OK to put Limited Slip Additive in Tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I experienced a whining from my vehicle for a few days, and it has now turned into a shuddering on acceleration above 30mph. I suspect it is my torque converter, but cannot afford a $700 rebuild, right now. Someone suggested adding GM Limited Slip additive to the transmission fluid. Apparently it helped them get through a few months at a time when they had a similar problem.

Can anyone tell me if this is safe to do? What if my diagnosis is wrong and the torque converter is fine?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--Jim

What vehicle and how many miles on unit?
Have you replaced the ATF?

If you are referring to the LS additive for differentials, I think adding it would accelerate failure.

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I should have realized that info would be necessary. It is a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee RWD with 179,500 miles on the original transmission. I believe it is a 42RE transmission.

I have not replaced the ATF, but it is red, clear and at the right level. I am referring to the limited slip additive for differentials, and I don't really understand how it would help or hurt.

Jim, I'd suspect you have worn out clutch packs, for the shudder to start at that particular speed.

That's just a guess though. I read in a recent thread here that someone added AutoRX to their transmission and it smoothed it out. I might consider that, but I wouldn't put the limited slip additive in it. LubeGard Red is also a very good trans additive.Might help, might not....

If your going to try an additive....try TransX..it is avaliable at Napa. I would service and change the transmission filter and replace one of the qts of ATF in the Service with a qt of TransX.

Well limited slip adds are designed to make things more slippery so I sure wouldn't put it in a trans! Reminds me- was at a gas station one day and a lady was looking under her hood..I heard this yokel tell her to put BRAKE FLUID in her trans to help a problem she was having
shocked.gif

I didn't want to get into it with the guy and luckily he went in the store so I slipped over and told her she sure shouldn't put brake fluid in her trans.....don't know who she believed or how far she made it if it was him
cool.gif

I'm a little reluctant to reply, but I will anyway. Friction modifier is something that is blended into normal transmission fluid. Some types of trans fluids have higher levels in it than others. An example is Chrysler ATF+3 and ATF+4 has a higher level of friction modifier than Dexron III/Mercon. It is part of the additive package. Just like in engine oil, when the additives get depleted the fluid no longer does it's job as well as it can.

When the torque converter shudder problem was first emerging with the Ford transmissions (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car, Thunderbird, Cougar) about 1994 I had a Ford hot line engineer tell me that they had been recommending adding friction modifier to cars with that problem and that many cars were fixed by it but that they had been told to stop making the recommendation. He said that if I were to do so, use one 4 oz bottle of Ford Friction Modifier per car with a pan drop fluid change and not to show the friction modifier on the warranty claim. I did so, and it worked. On several cars. They did not return. It seemed to be a permanent repair.

Shortly thereafter the official fix depended on the miles on the car and the severity of the shudder, but with most cars getting a new torque converter. Eventually the official cure became to flush the trans with a fluid exchange machine and that was all that was needed. The TSB published about it said that the cause was "worn out fluid". My take on that is that the friction modifiers in the fluid were depleted.

I will absolutely agree though that if you are not a lube chemist you will likely throw off the additive balance by such experimentation. To me, the preferred answer is to change the fluid. A 100% fluid flush or exchange.

On the topic of brake fluid added to transmission fluid. This is something that has been around for decades. Brake fluid might stop a transmission leak. It tends to swell the seals. I would again prefer to try fresh fluid first and then if the leak persist and you don't want to do a tear down and really want to try some snake oil, buy a snake oil that is specifically intended as a transmission sealer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

"When the torque converter shudder problem was first emerging with the Ford transmissions (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car, Thunderbird, Cougar) about 1994 I had a Ford hot line engineer tell me that they had been recommending adding friction modifier to cars with that problem and that many cars were fixed by it but that they had been told to stop making the recommendation. He said that if I were to do so, use one 4oz. bottle of Ford Friction Modifier per car with a pan drop fluid change and not to show the friction modifier on the warranty claim. I did so, and it worked. On several cars. They did not return. It seemed to be a permanent repair."

My Dad got this advice from the owner of a local tranny repair shop (well, he recommended GM LSD friction modifier). Worked as well as Big Jim said it did for him.

My Dad kept his '94 Mercury Grand Marquis for years after adding this stuff. Sold the car at 130,000 miles. Not sure if he ever had any tranny work done other than the usual servicing.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

I am referring to the limited slip additive for differentials, and I don't really understand how it would help or hurt.

I would NOT recommend putting the LS additive in either manual transmissions or automatic transmissions since the friction modification chemistry is incompatible.

In other words, there is radically different FM chemistry for different applications.

Thank you all very much for your responses and the information. As it turns out, I may have misdiagnosed the shudder as being from the torque converter. I am going to try changing my driveshaft u-joints to see if they might be the culprit.

As always, I really appreciate your help.

--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back