Jiffy Lube mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who took her car to Jiffy lube
nono.gif
(I know this is bad)

Car is an Acura Legend, automatic transmission with 100,000 miles.

They changed her oil and recommended a transmission service for $90. the car hold about 3 qts in the transmission.

They used bulk automatic transmission fluid.

They then added Smart Blend 7176 ATF converter.
confused.gif
I know from BITOG
smile.gif
that 7176 is also known as ATF-3 a Chrysler specific product for older Chrysler transmission.

Should I let her run this fluid, will a 7176 converted bulk fluid (probably dexron III equivalent) cause problems in a Honda/Acura transmission.

She does not have much $ and needs to have the car last.

I could do the drain and fill method to change it out if this fluid is a potential problem maker.

Thanks for your help to Patricia and me.

If they added the wrong fluid, then take it back there and have them change it at their expense.
It should cost nothing if they did it wrong in the first place.

It's sad that you folks are jumping to conclusions without even investigating the product further. The smartblend ATF converter is used to convert the fluid for a variety of applications, and ATF+3 is just ONE of them. Honda ATF Z-1 is another one that is also covered.

-

[ December 24, 2005, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Michael Wan ]

I'd be more concerned with a machine flush for a honda AT. DIII can be used in an emergency. I'm not sure what 7176 is - the picture above seems to point to 6001 as the correct one (correct if you can live with these 3rd party mixes). If it was me, I'd take it out, but I also wouldn't panic over the fluid alone.

Anyway, I tried to figure out what a $90 service gets you, a mechanical flush could dislodge the screens typical in Honda ATs.

No luck on a google seach....BUT, I found this. Talk about good reading when you have nothing to do.

http://www.jiffylubeproblems.com/

Holy Oil Problems Batman

Smart Blend's website is a little confusing. It says 6001 is the correct formula, but them in the description it has 7176 in parentheses? If the 7176 was used, it does appear to be the wrong type of fluid converter. Look here for more info on the 7176/6001. I would at least go back to the Jiffy Lube and ask to see a bottle so you can find out for sure if it was the 7176 and not some other version of Smart Blend.

If 7176 was used I would have them change the fluid again and refill with the correct spec fluid for a Honda transmission.

Patrick
biggthumbcoffe.gif

No, you folks don't understand. Only ONE Smartblend HFM supplement exists, its called #6001. It is primarily marketed as a 7176 converter, but also works for Honda applications.

The Chrysler apps calling for ATF+3 and ATF+4 used the same converter additive (only one exists) as the Honda apps, which is HFM supplement #6001.

Personally when it comes to tramsmissions, I'd use what the factory intended to be used in the car. Thats just me. Why take a chance on a fine car like an Acura? I'd replace the fluid asap.

If you want to be a truly good friend , go to the Acura dealer & pay whatever it costs for the correct tranny fluid & filter. Change it properly for your lady friend. Don't brag on your work & don't insult the Jiffy Lube guys. Just do the job & expect nothing more than a "Thanks" from your lady friend.

Realize, however, that if the tranny goes kaput in short order, you will be blamed for the failure, regardless of who is truly at fault. See how tricky it gets?

quote:

posted December 25, 2005 02:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be more concerned with a machine flush for a honda AT. DIII can be used in an emergency. I'm not sure what 7176 is - the picture above seems to point to 6001 as the correct one (correct if you can live with these 3rd party mixes). If it was me, I'd take it out, but I also wouldn't panic over the fluid alone.

Anyway, I tried to figure out what a $90 service gets you, a mechanical flush could dislodge the screens typical in Honda ATs.

Please explain to my how a T-Tech 'flush' (which is really an exchange because it is not powered on its own) would dislodge screen or otherwise damage ANY transmission as long as a compatible fluid was used and the transmission wasn't toasted to begin with?

And - since the 7176 type lubeguard additive was used, then they did exactly what they were supposed to and there is nothing to complain about. If it ruined transmissions, the product wouldn't be used by thousands of quick lubes and other shops which service hundreds of thousands of cars a year.

Andy

Some people seem to think that if you put the right additives in a specimen cup you can change the contents to beer . . . c'mon the original fluid was the right color . . .

You need to start out with the right fluid. Magic additives wont do it. Change the fluid.

quote:

Origianlly posted by82DMC12:
And - since the 7176 type lubeguard additive was used, then they did exactly what they were supposed to and there is nothing to complain about. If it ruined transmissions, the product wouldn't be used by thousands of quick lubes and other shops which service hundreds of thousands of cars a year.

Which proves nothing. All we know from whatever implied useage stats you're referring to is that the gunk obviously saves independent transmission shops $-$-$-$-$ in the purchase and stocking of pricey proprietary fluids and has a good liklihood to get the customer through the shops' nominal warranty periods. On the other hand, if the trannie tanks within the shop's "warranty" period, The "gypie lube" place has little to lose because they'll argue that at 100,000 miles, mechanical failure is always an unforeseen possibility due to prior operational and service factors over which they have no control. Getting involved in someone else's potential problems is a personal relationship disaster waiting to happen, regardless how well intentioned. (Hogan's Heroes' "Sergent Schultz" was wise beyond his nominal IQ...)

What year is the Legend? Some years up to the mid-1990's used Dexron II and not Z1 ATF. If the Legend is that old, nothing needs to be done.

It would be interesting if Chrysler ATF+3 and Honda ATF were similar. Honda 5 speed automatic transmissions have fallen to worse than Chrysler levels of reliability in some Odysseys.

Patricia is a friend on my wife, and her car is a 1989. It does call for Dexron. I was just concerned since we just bought a 96 Odyssey 5 months ago and that is my first experience with Honda Automatics.

I am changing the Odyssey to Z1 from whatever was in it. About ready for the third dump and fill after AutoRx.

What caused this inspection of Patricia's car is fluid leaking after Jiffy Lube did the work.

Turned out to be a loose hose on the power steering line to cooler. She had absolutely no leaks prior to this.

I think the Jiffy Lube tech may have disconnected the wrong hose to do the transmission flush. There are 4 hoses in essentially the same location near the radiator. Two were wet like from recent disconnection.

Since she had no leaks before and now had a leak she took the car back to Jiffy Lube and they said there is no problem.

I looked at it and tightened a hose clamp on the power steering fluid cooler line, and then asked to look at her receipt from Jiffy Lube.

Her receipt did state 7176 additive. Since I knew that 7176 (ATF+3) was a friction modified fluid for Chrysler I thought I had better ask if that was good for Honda/Acura automatics, since I am learning that the most appropriate fluid for automatic transmission is very very important.

As I said my limited previous automatic experience prior to 5 months ago when I bought the used Odyssey is only Ford C6, Ford CD4E, Chevrolet 4L60E and 4T65. And all those use plain old Dexron/Mercon.

I was a bit concerned when I saw that the Jiffy Lube refilled her power steering on the receipt. The reservoir was low when I checked it and the fluid leaking was power steering fluid color, and I know that Honda's use a specific power steering fluid too, so I filled it with some that I had bought for the Odyssey.

I am just trying to help Patricia get the full life out of her car.

Thanks

quote:

Please explain to my how a T-Tech 'flush' (which is really an exchange because it is not powered on its own) would dislodge screen or otherwise damage ANY transmission...

Yeah, please explain that to me, too...

Re-do the tranny with MaxLife. Re-do the PS with Honda Genuine. If possible put a new clamp on the PS hose after cutting the crushed portion back a bit to clamp-down on fresh hose. NEVER go back to Gypsy Lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back