MerconV for Ford Windstar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that I am helping to select good fluids for his vehicle.

What is the best Mercon V for a Ford FWD 2002 model?

I have no experience with Mercon V and have actually never even looked for it. My vehicles use Dexron or regular Mercon with the exception of the Honda which has Z1 in it now.

Vehicle has 91000 miles and he would like it to last a long time with perhaps annual to 18 months or 25,000 to 30,000 mile change intervals.

Not exactly sure on your model, but if AND only IF the dipstick says Mercon V, then use that only. If the dip stick says Mercon, then there are a whole slue of choices. The Mercon V is a specific beast and usually for the 4R70W transmission only. You can do untold damage to a tranny that doesn't spec for Mercon V and you put that in it. But, if it is Mercon V, I'd go with Castrol brand. They have shown good UOA's and are readily available at WallyWorld and other parts store.

I've never seen any Mercon V that isn't also rated for Mercon and in fact the latest Ford Motorcraft catalog recommends Motorcraft Mercon V for both Mercon and Mercon V applications, 4-year-old Ford TSBs advising against this notwithstanding.

This is for the friends Windstar, last night I looked at his vehicle and saw it said Mercon V.

I told him I did not know too much about V.

But I thought I could get some good advice on here for this specific fluid.

His transmission pan said something like AX4N.

My only experience with automatics is either GM, older Ford and now some with Honda.

I saw on a search with Yahoo that Mobil makes a semi-synthetic Mercon V, does anyone have experience with that?

I'm hear to tell you, don't do it. Mercon V was specifically made for that transmisson. Ford had problems with transmission shutter that is really, really annoying. Their solution, and has held true, was Mercon V. It has a robust additive package that eliminates the shutter. I just developed that on my 01 F150 SuperCrew. It only has 36K on it, but started doing it, even though the owners manual said to change out the fluid every 100K or so...Bull. Those transmissions need fluid changes a lot and I can see why after feeling the symptoms myself. I didn't have a lot of time so I sucked out about a gallon through the dipstick, replaced it with new fluid, and viola!!! shutter is temporary gone. I need to drop the pan but not until it warms up.
Mercon V is very very important.
You can use synthetic, but there are only two synthetic Mercon Vs out there to my knowledge. AMSOIL's Universal ATF (about $100 to change your tranny) and Red Line's (about $120). Don't go playing around with "multi-use" ATF.

The nice thing is the synthetics can be used for about 60k miles, maybe a smidge more. They really do help with tranny temps.

If you use Mercon you will experience TC shudder problems eventually. Mercon V was designed to solve that problem.

You CANNOT use Mercon V in vehicles that are supposed to have Mercon. Ask a 4R100 owner that did it once and they'll tell you. =)

Mercon V goes into 4R70W (AOD family) transmissions and a few others that spec it out. Mercon goes into Mercon applications. It's defintely ones of those transmission commandments chiseled into stone somewhere. Also, this family of transmissions likes clean fluid, change out around 35K.

I've said it before, I will say it again:

If the product has both Mercon and Mercon V license numbers AND it causes problems when used in a Mercon application, there is something wrong with Ford's licensing process.

Well, let's just agree to disagree.....after all the forums I've read on at least 3 different F150 sites, I stand by what I said.

I am not looking to use anything other that what is marked on their transmission dipstick.

It calls for Mercon V. I would like to know if anyone has experience with that.

I might experiment with my own cars
smile.gif
like running 15W40 in the Honda that calls for 5W30 but not with their cars transmission.

My previous ATF experience did not include any Mercon V, so if you have some good luck with a particular brand of Mercon V let me know and I will look for that brand of fluid.

Thanks

You can use Mercon V in that vehicle.

The only transmission you can use Mercon V in that orig came with regular Mercon is the 4r70w trans. Nothing else.

I have used Quaker State MV (at 70k miles)and Castrol MV (at 130k miles) in my '96 Crown Vic.

It now has 145k miles and the trans works as well as when new.

I have never had shudder issues in the Vic.

Both are good Mercon V fluids IMO.

brianl703 said:
quote:

I've never seen any Mercon V that isn't also rated for Mercon and in fact the latest Ford Motorcraft catalog recommends Motorcraft Mercon V for both Mercon and Mercon V applications, 4-year-old Ford TSBs advising against this notwithstanding.

I bought my 1992 Aerostar (A4LD transmission) with about 130,000 miles on the odometer. The fluid was dark brown. It was speced for Mercon. At the time Mercon V had just been introduced and as it was described as being better than Mercon, and backwardly compatible with Mercon, I decided to use it. I gradually changed the old fluid for Mercon V. Used it for 100,000 miles. Then changed the Mercon V for Amsoil ATF which I've been using for the last 100,000 miles. Fluid in pan and filter changed every 20,000 miles. Never had any problems at all.

Jan Richter

My 96" T Bird came with Mercon fluid. The tranny shudder happened at 38,000 miles. I switched to Mercon V . The shudder has never came back and we have 130,000 on it now. I use to remember what tranny was in the old bird but memory has slipped. But Mercon V runs great in it. Oiler

Any mercon 5 will do fine in your AX4N. The main thing is swapping it out every ~30K. Like Schmoe says, the merc 5 spec'd AX4S/AX4N's will shudder like crazy on anything OTHER than merc 5 ATF. The factory ATF was brown, nasty & stinky on my 2001 windstar when I bought it @ 34K miles. Windstars are big & heavy which takes it toll on the transaxle. Your power steering fluid is probably nasty as well. That runs HOT on the winnies as well.
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back