Nissan Matic K Synthetic equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I have done a search on this forum and the internet in general, but as of yet have not found my answer.

I own an 05 with the 5AT, and Nissan Matik K is the fluid that is recommended. Those who use "D" its Dex III and synthetics that meet the requirement readily available; and those who use "J" can use Valvoline Maxlife but that is only a synthetic blend.

I have read that "k" is very similar to DexIII(H), what synthetics could we use that are the equivalent or better than "k."

Thanks in advance for your input.

Thanks Molakule. Is Specialty Formulations working on something that may fall into this category?

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 1:00 PM
To: douglasm
Subject: FW: Technical Service Contact Form

Douglas,

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, transmission manufacturers' and automobile manufacturers' see opportunities to increase income by promoting their own private label brand lubricants. They do not manufacture them, only sell them. This fact is what drives them to keep the quality of their lubricants a secret. We at AMSOIL strive to obtain the specifications for these fluids in order to recommend the correct AMSOIL fluid to replace it. Nissan Matic K is one fluid that we have not found the specifications for and hence we cannot recommend our ATF for those applications.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Kevin Dinwiddie
STLE/CLS
Technical Products Manager
Drivetrain & Power Transmissions
AMSOIL Inc.
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI. 54880
Phone: 715-392-7101 ext. 275
Fax: 715-392-3097
Email: [email protected]

The accuracy of this e-mail response is dependent of the information provided. AMSOIL Inc. is not responsible for wrong recommendations that were based on inaccurate or incomplete information.

From: Mobil Product Information [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:09 AM
To: douglas
Subject: (no subject)

You will have to acquire this fluid from your local dealer.

-Matt

--- Dave Granquist wrote:

> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:47:05 -0800
> To: [email protected]
> From: Dave Granquist
> Subject: Re: Red Line Oil Contact Form 12/5/2005
>
> >Below are the results from the Red Line Oil web
> site Application Request Form.
> >
> >It was placed on 12/5/2005 1:38:34 PM.
> >
> > Application Request Form Information
> >-----------------------------------------------
> >Name : Douglas Molina
> >Email Address : [email protected]
> >Address :
> >Address 2:
> >City :
> >State :
> >Zip :
> >Make : Nissan
> >Model : Altima SE
> >Year : 2005
> >Engine Type : VQ35DE
> >Differential Size/Type :
> >Transmission Type: 5 Speed Automatic
> >Issues :
> >Recommendations : Are any of your products
> equivalent or exceed the
> >specs for Nissan Matic K ATF?
>
> Douglas,
>
> Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, sorry at this
> point we don't
> have a cross for the special Nissan Matic K fluid.
>
> Regards, Dave
> Red Line Oil

Food for thought:

Nissan switched suppliers on some of their trannies.
Some are Aisen Warner boxes which usually use JWS3309 or WS fluids.

Since the 5-speed Maxima auto is in the same tranny family used by Volvo/Saab/Saturn/Toyota........
Does anyone want to assUme that FWD K-matic might be JWS3309 and that RWD matic-J might be WS?

D(exron)-matic is still used in the 4-speed Jatco boxes.

Anyone want to VOA these OEM fluids for comparison?

Mola:

Thanks for the speedy response.

Is that a typo? Did you mean to say Dexron-6 vs. Dexron-4 (arabic numerals used vs. Roman for clarity)?

I'm 40k into my 60k drivetrain wty, so yes, I'll bite the bullet for now (I've done one change at the dealer so far -- yes, the fluid is that expensive -- ouch!). But I will soon be actively looking for a safe alternative.
cheers.gif

I will be doing a VOA when I pick up some fluid at the dealership tor my cooler install. I will post it on the forums for people to see.

Douglas:

Just curiosity, but what is your Nissan dealer charging for the K fluid. As I mentioned above the Inf dealer charges $12 for a quart of J-Matic (and uses 10-12 quarts for a flush -- gulp). I'm vaguely hopeful that a Nissan dealership might be a bit more reasonable than the Infiniti store.

Mola:

Silly me, I've done my own homework, and now I do understand the Dex-6 thing. I'm not asking you to spend your time teaching me (us) all the good trade secrets, but could you perhaps steer me toward some good sources to learn more specifics about these ATFs. I'd like to arm myself with as much info about the "flavors" before I have to make a decision. If the Dex VI is not identical to the Matic-J, I'd like to be able to nail down how similar it is, and in what respects it differs. With this info, I can make an informed decision about whether the price delta (if any -- a few sources I found suggest large price hike in Dex VI...) is worth taking the chance. Thanks for the insight you've already provided.
cheers.gif

Douglas:

Here's a cut-and-paste from the Nissan-Infiniti TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) addressing Nissan Matic-J fluid, the ATF flavor that's spec-ed for the G35 (and I believe the AT versions of the 350Z as well).

SERVICE INFORMATION
If the automatic transmission in the new Q45 (F50) or G35 (V35) requires service, a new type of
automatic transmission fluid MUST be used. The new fluid is Nissan Matic-J.
The New Nissan Matic-J
• Only Nissan Matic-J automatic transmission fluid (P/N 999MP-MTJ00P) is specially formulated to meet the
exacting requirements of Infiniti's new 5-speed automatic transmission (RE5R05A).
• The RE5R05A transmission contains new internal components that require the use of
Nissan Matic-J only!
CAUTION:
• Usage of Nissan Matic-D or any other automatic transmission fluid in the RE5R05A 5-speed automatic
transmission will cause deterioration in driveability and transmission durability.
• Do NOT use any other fluid for the RE5R05A 5-speed automatic transmission, only use Nissan Matic-J.
• Use of any other fluid may result in damage to the RE5R05A 5-speed automatic transmission, which will
not be covered by the INFINITI warranty.

As you can see, they're not real keen on the idea of owners using other brands of ATF. I've seen a similar TSB for the Maxima (K fluid car) on a Maxima board, but didn't save it, being a G owner, of course.

Mola: What are your thoughts on these warnings? Is it just a bald attempt to force customers to buy their fluid at $12 per quart? I'd sure like to find an alt for the J fluid, just as Douglas is looking for a K alt. Have you examined these fluids? If not, and if you'd be interested, I'd certainly be willing to ship you a quart. Any further ideas? BTW, another member suggested that you might be able to produce a batch of equivalent fluid -- feasible???
cheers.gif

VOA'ing the fluids won't help, as base oil and additive differences won't be seen.

So many ATF components are specialized organic amines and esters and will not show up on a $35 VOA.

DexronIII(H) is usually a GroupII, III Blend with almost the same friction modification and AW package as Dexron VI.

Dexron VI and NissanMaticJ have almost the same friction modifier and AW package; only the mix of base oils (Group III, IV, and V) may differ. Unfortunately, they are about the same price at the dealer's parts room. So I still hold that Dexron VI will work.

Well, it didn't take my response for some reason.

My info is that the NissanMaticJ is equivalent to DexronVI. And yes, I have examined those fluids.

For the warranty period, I would use the Nissan Fluids since they are rather adamant about the fluids verses warranty period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back