Is a ZF TE-ML 14 ATF ok for a ZF tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone

This is my first posting here. A year or so ago I converted to synthetic ATF for my tranny and wondering if I made a bad decision.

Car is a 89 740 volvo with a ZF 4HP22 auto tranny. Manual specifies dexron II. It was having a hard shift going from 1 to 2 to 3. Flushing with dino ATF didn't help. From the brickboard site a many of them had found positive results by switching over to Mobil1 ATF. Unfortunately no Mobil1 ATF here. I searched for an alternative synthetic ATF and found Mobil ATF SHC. It's dexron IIe compatible and is on the ZF TE-ML14B list. Didn't do any further reading, did a full flush using Mobil ATF SHC. In summary no positive effect. I let it be as the tranny was ok and I thought it had synthetic in it so it must be better for the tranny in the long run

It's due for a change now. And wanting to know more I visited ZF's site and with a slap to my forehead darn ZF TE-ML 14B is the approval for buses and trucks powershift transmission!
shocked.gif

For mine I should be following the TE-ML 11.
rolleyes.gif

So is it safe for me to continue using it?

Sorry for the long posting and thanks in advance to all.

ZF is no longer giving formal approvals for TE-ML 11 transmissions fluids. It's an obsolete specification.

TE-ML-14B appears to be the current sheet and is backward compatible, which means it is suitable for the ZF 4HP20, 5HP18, 5HP19, 5HP19FL, 5HP19FLA, 5HP19HL, 5HP19FLA, 5HP24, 5HP25A, and 5HP30.

The Mobil ATF 220 and Esso ATF D2, which are the same fluid, are the TE-ML 11 rated fluids from ExxonMobil in your market area.

Personally I'd stick with the Mobil ATF SHC.

That stout fluid is probably better for the long run.
My personal experience is that ZF seemed to have 'quick' shifting(abrubt) automatics until the "seemless shifting" crowd took over. A hard shift is not a bad thing. And, if there are any adjustments(reference FSM), then do so.

Since you require (obsolete)DexronII, I would try any of the DexronIII/MerconV/Multivehicle fluids with your next ATF flush.

A extra tranny cooler is also a worthy upgrade if not already installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back