Just paid $7/q for Honda "Dual Pump Fluid". Boo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diff drain and refill is 1.1q. 1q got it close to full, but I had to top it with an old bottle of Castrol DexIII/Mercon. Whatever, I'd rather re-do it again with Honda fluid and top with ATF or barely used fluid than use .1q from a 2nd bottle of Honda fluid and let .9q sit on a shelf. Anyway, the moaning at speed and gurgling during slow tight turns is gone...only had to buy ONE quart of $7 Honda "Dual Pump Fluid" aka "ATF".

It's not ATF, people have tried to use ATF in the rear diffs on Hondas and have had them start to moan like crazy after doing this. Too bad that Honda won't release what this stuff really is.

I hate buying it too..

Mola???
worshippy.gif
banghead.gif

Next fill will be 1q of DPF and topped with some of the current fluid after filtering. NON-DPF should total 1% at that point.

Master ACiD, it's not the point that it doesn't get changed at every fill up. It's the point that Honda is forcing us to use an inferior type product, charging a small fortune for the product, then not letting ANYONE find out what it's made of, so as to eliminate the competition from formulating something that might be or work better.

I agree, $7/quart is pretty steep for what is probably a dallied up petroleum product.

ok, i could see griping about $7 a quart, hey i gripe about the $3 quart atf that my crv takes. however like i said, how much of this diff oil would you go through during the life of the crv? probably less than the cost of a single tank of gasoline. is that really somthing to get all upset about?

i understand you could be upset about paying $7 a quart for some conventional oil, but if no one else is going to make a compatible fluid then whats the big deal? you say youreself that you dont know whats inside this fluid. then how would you know it is so inferrior? and also what may i ask is this oil inferrior to, keeping in mind that there is currently no alternative to this oil, i dont see how it can be inferrior to anything else.

no body forced you to buy a honda crv. nobody is forcing you to keep using youre current crv. you can awalys sell it off and get another vehicle if you dont like the oil it takes. i just dont understand why someone would buy a vehicle and then complain about its maintence ad upkeep.

this arguement you make doesnt seem to make sence to me.

You're barking up the wrong tree when it comes to spending the green on a quality product Master ACiD. If you've read some of my other posts/topics, you will see that I am willing to pay over $10/liter for lubricant for my engine.

My point here is that I don't like being forced to buy a product that is probably inferior. I'm not saying that it is well within the confines of what it has to be to make the rear differential run smoothly for the life of the vehicle.

I also DO spend the asking price for the Honda OEM air filter (which is $30 in my neck of the woods) as I like the construction and filter media quality.

Give up my CR-V.....never. Even though it's the wife's SUV, I like it just as much as she does.

Next time you are at the dealer, request an MSDS for the stuff. Perhaps it has something the technical sheets don't as far as identifying what fluid it is.

Like I said, I'd rather do it my way with a flush cycle then buy two quarts and leave .9q sitting on a shelf.

I'm with Dad2Leia, I resent the way Honda has so many proprietary fluids.
rolleyes.gif

I asked Dave Granquist at Red Line about this stuff a couple years ago (hoping I could use Red Line MTL or some better fluid instead) but he also griped that Honda won't release the specs.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thank goodness you don't own an Audi that uses the "central hydraulic fluid". It IS a superior product with a VI of about 320. The only like product I could find was aviation hydraulic fluid. So you can boo Honda for keeping tight lipped on spec's ..or you can curse Audi for building the space shuttle and only spec'ing fluids that only a few vendors make or are otherwise in limited distribution
dunno.gif

Either way, you feel you're being boned
frown.gif
No one likes being herded down a cattle chute of NO CHOICE.

My point here is that I don't like being forced to buy a product that is probably inferior. I'm not saying that it is well within the confines of what it has to be to make the rear differential run smoothly for the life of the vehicle
This topic has a lot of history on several boards.
Honda DPF is the only fluid that works in the CR-V rear differential. Whether or not it is "inferior" (inferior to what?) is a moot point. If you use DPF the diff works silently. If you use something else (superior?) the diff will make noise.
Thanks.

I think it's time to remind some people that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that if an automotive manufacturer requires a vehicle owner to use 'their fluid' and no other to maintain waranty, then the manufacturer must make this fluid available for free. I'm surprised nobody yet has the guts to file a class action suit against Honda.

The Magnesun-Moss legislation makes no such statement. That legislation specifically exempts proprietary fluids for which there are no OEM-authorized aftermarket equivalents. Licensures from Ford with Mercon V and now Chrysler with ATF+4 are both a welcome step in the right direction. But, the momentum is still clearly with the "withhold licensure crowd". However, car owners ALWAYS have options - including the option to substitute whatever fluid they wish in their vehicles' drivetrains. Additionally, they also have the option to walk, bicycle, take a taxi, or ride public transportation if their chosen option comes back and bites 'em in the fanny.
smile.gif

Gary Allan, elaborate on this "Central Hydraulic Fluid" a little bit. What part of the Audi calls for this type of lubricant? I'm not familiar with Audi's enough to know.

That VI is enough to get me more than a little interested...

Pentosin CHF-11S is the PS fluid. $18-$25/L I flush it every 50k. Some dudes install PS coolers.

quote:

Gary Allan, elaborate on this "Central Hydraulic Fluid" a little bit. What part of the Audi calls for this type of lubricant? I'm not familiar with Audi's enough to know.

quote:

Pentosin CHF-11S is the PS fluid. $18-$25/L I flush it every 50k. Some dudes install PS coolers.

That's the stuff. It is unique in automotive use. It has about double the viscosity index of just about anything out there ..except for stuff that's probably even more expensive. I don't own an Audi ..but I wouldn't be angry at the dealer who gets $$$ for the stuff. I'd probably like to strangle the engineer that made it a requirement for the .00000000000001% of advantage that it offered over other, more common, offerings. The teutonic mentality needs a
twak.gif
from time to time.

Here's ExxonMobil stuff that meets the same sorta spec's 370 VI Who knows what it costs??

It's PAO! Guys who do silly manuovers like doughnuts and other wierd stuff burn-up their PS units all the time. I would not want to try anything other fluid. Also, older VWs that have PS work spec the new fluid over old VW PS fluid.

(in his best mocking voice)
...HOW THE HECK DOES EVERY SINGLE THREAD I AM ON TURN INTO AN AUDI THREAD!!!
(end rant)
tongue.gif
pat.gif
gr_stretch.gif
fruit.gif
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back