Best Synthetic Automatic Transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions on the best one? Changing the Dexron III in wife's Aztec. It takes 7.4 quarts total. Have access to Mobil 1, and Valvoline. Will be shopping around town for some.

I would seriously give MolaKule's SF AutoGlide a look see Rob. I have it in my Honda right now, and it shifts better than it did with that darn Honda ATF spec Z-1 factory fill did.

His formulations are pretty darn remarkable.

Try the Castrol Transynd or Amsoil TorqueDrive.

Since its just Dexron III, Mobil1 ATF is what I would use. I'm also thinking that my next case of DexronIII will be Royal Purple.

I am currently using RL D4 but I have to nod to Amsoil ATF also. I went who knows how long with a plugged tranny cooler without burning the tranny down. Bullet proof ATF if you ask me. I went 50k an d saved a tranny on that oci.

I have over 300,000 miles on my original C-6 Ford transmission with 5 services of Amsoil ATF. It is mated to a 6.9 diesel and transfer case that also run Amsoil. I was an Amsoil nut for many years. Ran the 30wt Diesel oil, single bypass filter, Universal transmission oil, 85-140 front and rear, and grease and fuel additive. This is when I was a single trucker...now married with kids and the truck sits and just goes to the dump and pick up hay....Truck is just wonderful and the 21,000 dollars back then for the truck is still serving me well....84 F-250 Supercab Diesel 4X4. Amsoil is the transmission oil to get if you can afford the cost...in the long run if you keep a truck or car till it dies synthetics pay off.

Yep, AMSOIL ATF is **** good stuff. Been running it in my Jeep Grand Cherokee since it was new in 1998. This is with heavy towing of a boat, and lot's of offroad abuse. The AMSOIL has held up very well, and has keep my tranny happy, which is rare for DCX tranny's.

Redline D4 in my toyota tranny that seems to treat her very well. I change my fluid every year about 4-5 qrts worth. I could keep it in longer but clean fluid means happy tranny.

Another vote for Amsoil ATF here. I have an 01 Montana creeping up on 300,000 miles with the original tranny. Hoping to get 370k+ before trading her in.

Taggs, Amsoil's Universal ATF works well in your power steering system, too -- provided it calls for Dexron for topping up.

I've used it for more than a year now after a complete flush, and the steering has never felt better. Way better than when the car was new, in fact.

Mobil 1 ATF, avail across the country, full real synthetic tech, proven by millions of miles of use, comes on sale, reasonable price.
do a complete flush/change out cooler line.

quote:

Another vote for Amsoil ATF here. I have an 01 Montana creeping up on 300,000 miles with the original tranny. Hoping to get 370k+ before trading her in.

What was your oil change intervals?

I believe that short(er) oil change intervals for AT's have a major effect on longevity.

My experience is with a healthy 1997 Toyota Camry, which sports over 151K miles, and the original tranny on AMSOIL universal ATF.

I believe that short(er) oil change intervals for AT's have a major effect on longevity.

Mola, can't we, through auxillary cooling and filtration, extend ATF life pretty far out there? I mean to the point where the fluid isn't any major part of the equation ..to where it would be nothing compared to normal "shedding" that's an inherent part of the operation of an automatic?

Changed my 48k mile 2002 Maxima ATF twice with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Didn't notice any difference after my 20k and 30k changes...but thats probably a good thing.
smile.gif

quote:

I would seriously give MolaKule's SF AutoGlide a look see Rob. I have it in my Honda right now, and it shifts better than it did with that darn Honda ATF spec Z-1 factory fill did.

Did MolaKule green light using AutoGlide in place of a Z-1 fluid?

quote:

What was your oil change intervals?

125,000 miles. But even then I just drop the pan, R&R the filter, replace the bypass element and refill. Last week I dropped the pan on my Montana and everything was spotless, not a trace of sludge or wear goop anywhere except a thin film on the magnet. Impressive for having that many miles on one fill of fluid.

That's all hiway miles though. For my cars that do mostly city driving, I do a drain/refill every 30k and replace the bypass element at 125k.

Regular flushes are not enough IMO. You need a high quality fluid and good filtration on a modern automatic. The oil has to be kept serviceable and clean at all times, not just every 30k if you want the tranny to last.

G-Man II, yep he did. I definitely made sure of that before installing it in my tranny.

It's been in there now for a couple thousand miles, and is doing just great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back