Good Dexron III fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to update with pics of my rides and various fluid change and maint pics.

I forgot all about that site with my single trans fluid change pics!

beanoil, it was so easy!

what is it going in?

quote:

The only ATF you'd get that are not Dexron-III(H) would be either old stock or unlicensed products like Amsoil.

fyi

AMSOIL ATF surpasses DEXRON III H requirements. The difference between DEXRON III G and III H is that IIIH used to be the factory fill quality and III G was the requirement for service fill quality. The following are the differences between the DEXRON III G and III H.

1. The Vickers Pump Wear Test

IIIG =
IIIH =
2. HEFCAD Plate Clutch Test

IIIG = 100 hour test

IIIH = 150 hour test

3. THCT Cycling Test

IIIG = 20,000 Cycles

IIIH = 32,000 Cycles

4. THOT Oxidation Test

IIIG = 300 hour test

IIIH = 450 hour test

5. V. Aeration Rig

IIIG = not required

IIIH = Report new and used fluid from cycling test

Oils meeting DEXRON IIIG could pass if manufactured with Group I petroleum oil, however the DEXRON IIIH required Group II base oil in order to pass the more stringent test requirements. AMSOIL uses Group IV base oil which is much higher quality needed to pass these III H tests.

I have logged over 100,000 miles on Valvoline Max Life ATF Dexron III. About 80,000 miles on a Chevrolet truck with the 460L Trans. Here is the sweet part. Read on back of the bottle and you will see Valvoline recomends Dexron III were this is spec , but also recomends this where Mercron V is spec. I figure it has to be good to cover both. I have not seen others doing this. I have logged 50,000 miles on a Ford Windstar with the Max Life Dexron III. Both the Chevy and the Ford are sweet running machines with the Dexron III Max Life.

It seems to work very well actually, i dropped the pan and changed the filter about a month back. Works great, nice firm shifts, no slippage, just a good working trans now.

I also added lucas at the same time and every few weeks i suck out a liter and add another bottle of fresh fluid and the trans is working great. Couldn't be happier
smile.gif

What would you guys say is the better one of of the 3
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b..._usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/s/SSS.pdf
http://www.valvoline.com/products/Dexron III Mercon.pdf
http://www.irvingoil.com/dloads/infosheet/Transflo_web_0805.pdf

[ July 10, 2006, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: kool_zx3 ]

All are similar.
But, the Irving oil has the best cold weather -40cP number.
And, since you're in Canada, the Irving is probably the better ATF for you to continue using.
Also, don't bother with any transmission additives.

Well i dunno about the tranny additives, lucas seems to work great in every tranny i ever added it into. The tempo worked 2 times better then it did after i started using it and the trucks is working wonderful also with it. It didn't seam to do much harm, it's shifting much better then before with smoother upshifts and downshifts.... Seems to run quieter also. I can see if i poured in the whole bottle but i might of used 1/4 or a little more of the bottle.

Anyway i will continue to use the transflo from irving for the tranny. Thanks for the help

Althoulgh I have purchased DEX III from SF in the past it has not been listed on the SF site for a while. I have sent 2 emails to Mola asking aobut purchasing DEX III AFT and no reply. Does anybody know what is going on

Which companies out there meet Dexron III (h) specs? Amsoil told me they don't have a compatible to meet GM specs on this fluid. Also Dexron 6 has replaced the Dexron 3h and 4.

if you can't find chevron dexron III atf, if you have a local fred's dollar store, they sell Havoline Dexron III. maybe the same stuff??

Amsoil Universal ATF can be used for DexronIII-h.

Dexron-6 is the new 'MPG' thin ATF.

I'm surprised that the boutique companies haven't jumped on the Dexron VI bandwagon. I would think that since they already use group IV and V basestocks, that they would have no problem thinning their ATFs and passing all requirements.
The other 2 thin ATFs are also ignored(SP and WS).

Undummy,

It is my understanding that Amsoil is working on both Dexron VI and the Mercon SP fluids, but I haven't seen a release date yet.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by Rockford Fosgate Fan:
I'm about to try to fix a leak on my transmission (4L60E 95 Z28 Vert 80K miles) and this will be the first time I will be changing the fluid myself. My question is what would be a good fluid to use? I have looked at brands like Mobil 1 and Royal purple but IMO it is not worth it unless I flush the tranny and change all the fluid at once. Currently the options I have available to me are O'Reilly brand ATF, Castrol, B&M Trick shift, and Valvoline high mileage. Any help, opinions, or experience would be greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

I have a 2005 Corvette with A-4 transmission and I have to find an ATF fluid that meets GM specs on Dexron III (h) If I don't see the h spec but just the Dexron III spec. then it is not compatible to use in my car. Thus far most of all these companies Amsoil, Redline only meet the Dexron III specs.
pat.gif
confused.gif
dunno.gif

As for your situation I think Mobil One would be a good choice since it is priced lower than others especially if you flush the whole system you are looking at a lot of $$$$ just in the ATF fluid.
gr_eek2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back