Help Choosing Gearbox Fluid: Mazda MX6 Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys. I have a Mazda MX6 2.5 V6 manual. Has about 140000km (~88000 miles). I need to change gearbox fluid, and I want to use a Synthetic fluid. The manual and FAQ's for the car say it needs a 75W90 GL4 fluid. They say if a GL5 is used, it must be compatible with brass/bronze synchros. Some mechanics told me to use ATF in the gearbox
confused.gif

There are very limited choices here. Some brands which are brought in only stock engine oils, not gear lubes eg. Amsoil. So far I have come across these and wonder what you guys think:
- Shell Spirax. Problem is the FAQ's suggest 75W90 but the Spirax 75W90 is GL5
- Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W90 or Royal Purple Synchromax

Cheers,
X

Hi,
Castrol's excellent Syntrax 75w-90 is their recommendation. Expensive yes, but this is surely one of the best gearbox oils available

Has done 1m kms in the diffs in my trucks and the UOAs were great!

Doug

Just a curious bystander here asking: Will the South African Customs Service confiscate a gallon (or case or whatever) of transmission fluid sent to you in a box from overseas?

If not, I recommend Specialty Formulations product, or RedLine MT-90.

3l (3Q), which is what I require, yes. And even if not, it is not financially feasible. The cost (with the high exchange rate) plus very expensive shipping for 3Q plus about 50% customs taxes will make it prohibitively expensive.

You may wish to check with your Ford dealer. Their Chemical Catalog shows two fluids that may do the trick.

XT-M5-QS is a full synthetic 75W90 manual trans oil that is used on 5 speed manuals in Mondeos and Contours.

F32Z-19C547-MA looks to be a conventional oil 75W90 that is used on the Ford Escape (Maverick in some markets) and Mazda Tribute 5 speed manual trans as well as the new Ford Fusion 5 speed manual trans.

You may have the same trans as the Fusion and Tribute (I really don't know for sure).

The full synthetic is pricy. It goes for about $20.00 a quart US.

If your tranny "calls" for a 75W90 then you should not use ATF or Synchromax since these fluids are way too thin - like 8 cSt thinner than what you should be using.

You might consider our MTL-R.

Hi Guys. Just to let you know what is NOT available here:

- Castrol gear lubes
- Amsoil gear lubes
- Redline
- Pennzoil
- Specialty Formulations

The reason I mentioned RP and Shell Spirax is because those are the only two fullty synthetic fluid I can find here
frown.gif

Will check with the. Only the Mondeo is available here. I will check with the Ford dealers what they use in them. The other Ford's and Mazda's you mentioned aren't here locally (even under the guise of a different name).

I checked the MX6 forums some more and it seems the Royal Purple 75W90 is quite popular. It is GL4 and GL5 certified so works well in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back