Honda Civic Auto Tranny Fluid Type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Civic automatic with 115,000 miles and the transmission is very clunky, always has been! I've changed it out about three times over the life of the car and nothing helps.

Honda says this is normal as do many other Honda owners.

What is the best type of ATF for my Civic? Synthetic? What brand? Anything would be better than the manufacturer's stuff I am using now. Also, is there any type of conditioner or additive I can throw in there? How about a "flush"? My tranny feels like it's ready to drop sometimes!
smile.gif
Grrrrr

If you're getting "slam" shifts - the transmission hesitates and then "slams" an upshift - drain the transmission and leave it 8-10 ounces short of refill. Add LubeGard Platinum about 2 ounces at a time until you get a smooth shift, and then add about 2 ounces more.

Top it off with ATF to the "full" mark.

You may be able to get the same result with a friction-modified fluid like Chrysler ATF+4 - at least in theory. However, I've never tried it and this method lets you tailor the fluid to your own car.

The LubeGard is an ester that causes the transmission to "slip" a bit when it shifts. This ends the "clunk" or "slam" when it upshifts.

The advantage of the synthetic ATF is long-life. By itself it probably won't alter the shift characteristics except in very cold weather.

IMO, 4-cylinder engines and automatic transmissions don't go hand-in-hand. Automatics are torque gobblers. I choose a 5-speed MT for my '93 Civic and I love it. That's my suggestion for next time around.

If I had your Civic, I would try and use Amsoil Synthetic ATF. I replaced the Mercon V (partial synthetic) in my 2000 Taurus AX4N transmission with Amsoil Synthetic ATF and the performance is much better. Has better pickup, shifts smoother, and runs cooler. Drop and clean the pan, change the filter, and install Amsoil. Try and remove as much of the fluid in the torque converter as possible. If your Civic requires Honda Z-1, you should be able to use the Amsoil product.

Guys,

What it's doing is clunking after I slow for let's say a red light but don't come to a complete stop. When I press on the gas it "clunks" real bad into gear like it's almost missing something before it catches up to the speed of the vehicle. Very annoying! So if the above mentioned might help I'll be glad to give it a shot. The first method sounds much easier! I don't know if I want to go into the second method unless someone else does it! LOL I don't want to mess anything up.

Mickey,

Is that LubeGard available at local auto stores or do you have to purchase it online? For instance, PepBoys have it?

Thanks!

Check your motor and tranny mounts.
Inspect your CV joints.

What year? what does owners manual say?

If in doubt:
use the Honda ATF Z-1, Amsoil, a multivehicle fluid, SpecialtyFormulations ATF, or an ATF(valvoline durablend or maxlife??) that states Honda Z-1 compatibility.

But, if you have an older Honda that can use Dexron(II or III), then use any DexronIII-h from the store. Mobil1 and Royalpurple are good choices. Toss in a bottle of lubegard or smartblend for the psychologically good feeling.

I have a 2002 Civic EX Auto. I'd have to get the book out to see what it says. I need a flush, a fill, some AMSOIL, and some LubeGard!
wink.gif

If that don't work then the tranny is what it is and won't get any better.

I am not holding my breath...

Amsoil+Lubegard=
nono.gif

If I'd were you, I'd drain/refill twice with Maxlife ATF and see if it solves your problem. This should replace about 60-65% of the fluid.

If not, then its probably a mechanical problem.

What ATF did you previously use for drain/refills?

Michael

Clean the transmission with Auto-Rx. 1000 mile process. Then drain and refill the transmission three times with a short drive between each drain & fill--you'll use about a total of 12 quarts of ATF. (The Honda transmission drains more than most, so this is an easy way for a very good change.)

Use Honda's Z-1 ATF, or an ATF that says it is OK for Honda...Schaeffer 204SAT or Amsoil, or Dexron-III plus Lubegard black or platinum.

Ken

I used the Honda ATF last time. It does nothing to make my tranny shift better. I think it's just in the design of the transmission. A lot of Honda users experience this.

Also, I called Honda today actually and asked why my tranny "clunks" just for fun and the service guy gave me another typical line like "Hmmm, hard to say... you'll just have to bring it in". Same old story. Then they say nothing is wrong, it's normal. So I gave up on that loooong ago.

He also told me they never "flush" Honda transmissions. In fact, they don't even own a flush system. He said these transmissions don't need flushed. Interesting!

I'll just drain and refill like you guys have been saying. That's all I can do I guess! If it doesn't help I'll chalk it up as a learning experience and never buy another Honda or wait for the thing to drop from the car and get a rebuild or another kind all together. Besides the crappy transmission the car is good and the engine is strong, no problems. Timing belt has been changed recently so I am ready for some long life I hope, if the tranny holds up!

Also, I'm very confused on LubeGard. There are various bottles and I'm not sure which one to use! Red, Black, Plutonium?
smile.gif
You see, it's been a while since my tranny fluid has been changed, I'll start with admitting that. Honda says I don't need to flush it. Ooookay, then how many times should I drain and fill? Can I do this over a short period of time instead of back to back? Let say, can I drive a week or two then do another drain and fill? Finally, what type of LubeGard should I use and how much?

Ahhh, confusing!

Should I stick with Honda tranny fluid or use something else? If so, what? Should I use cheaper stuff to drain and fill or always stick with the same kind, even if it's in there a short period of time? Why?

smile.gif
Thanks!

Yes, I'll do two drains and fills but not right back to back. Maybe after a week or so if that's ok. I drive about 500-600 a week!
wink.gif

Also, I'll be sure to post what I find to the post mentioned above. Time will tell!

quote:

KiaSedona05:
Also, I'm very confused on LubeGard. There are various bottles and I'm not sure which one to use! ....

..... Finally, what type of LubeGard should I use and how much?

..... Should I stick with Honda tranny fluid or use something else? .....

I’d use the LubeGard Platinum. It’s basically the same as the red bottle but with additional anti-wear additive.

As to which fluid to use, I’d take a look at your owner’s manual for a specification. It’s probably DexronII. In that case you’ve got lots of options. I use Mobil 1 ATF.

If it specifies a specific friction-modified Honda ATF, like Z1, then you either use that from a dealer or use an aftermarket ATF that meets the specification.

Drain what you can from the case - since you didn't burn the fluid do anything else unusual the remainder in the transmission won't hurt anything.

Leave it about 8-10 oz low. Then add LubeGard about 2 ounces at a time, drive it, and add more if needed. Once you've got it where you want it, top it off with ATF.

Don't use lubegard, just use the correct fluid.

Valvoline Maxlife or Durablend ATF is a good option for $3/qt. Or, purchase the specialty ATF from our site sponsorer for about $7/qt.

Typically, I'd say drain it twice, driving about 10-20 miles in between.

See a post I made in the Mechanical Tips section about how to calculate the amount of old fluid leftover after multiple drain/refills.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back