are extended drain intervals safe for manual transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought Amsoils new synthetic synchromesh manual transmission fluid (mtf) for my Honda Civic. Amsoil recommends a drain interval twice the manufacturers (Honda recommends 96,000 kms). Is this safe due to the fact that a manual transmission has no filter like an engine to capture all those metal filings/shavings that accumulate in the manual transmision over time? Won't these metal filings/shavings increase transmission gear wear greatly because of this? I realize the synthetic fluid will last long.

The only way to know for sure if you can extend drains is by using UOA's with trending. And any company who makes blanket statements like that is full of it, and must have to purchase extremely high cost liability insurance.

At SF we recommend 30,000 miles without UOA's for normal service, and 15,000 miles without UOA's for severe service.

If you use a Used Oil Analysis program, then extend the oil as per the analyst's recommendations.

What's your opinions on the theoretically "lifetime" drains for manual transmission? My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX comes with a recommendation that the tranny fluid only needs to be "inspected" every 30K miles (unless there's towing involved). Of course I ignored that and changed out the factory fluid at about 4K miles with a Red Line product, and again at about 15K miles with Motul Gear 300 (75W90). It was a pain finding the T70 socket I needed to remove the drain plug; the design choice may be part of the strategy. My current plan is to change the fluid every 30K miles or 2 years.

quote:

What's your opinions on the theoretically "lifetime" drains for manual transmission?

Again, I think it's reckless advice and lazy recommendations.

You are wise to ignore those suggestions and continue your current regimine.

My 2002 F-150 with the Mazda 5 speed tranny and my 1996 Ford Contour with the 5 speed both don't "require" changing of the factory Mercon ATF
rolleyes.gif
. I changed the F-150's at 14,000 miles to Schaeffer's #204S ATF and then at about 19,000 miles to SF's SynchroGlide
grin.gif
. The Contour was changed at 35,000 miles to Ford's special synthetic "Gold" fluid designed for that "difficult" tranny. It's due for another change shortly. It's going to get SF's SynchroGlide. It's worked really well in my truck's tranny plus it's less than 1/2 the price of the Ford "Gold" fluid
shocked.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
The only way to know for sure if you can extend drains is by using UOA's with trending. And any company who makes blanket statements like that is full of it, and must have to purchase extremely high cost liability insurance.

At SF we recommend 30,000 miles without UOA's for normal service, and 15,000 miles without UOA's for severe service.

If you use a Used Oil Analysis program, then extend the oil as per the analyst's recommendations.

100% agree but what about I think its BMW or Mercedes that do not have a fill tube for trans oil in that they say it is fill for life.
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back