1998 Maxima ATF change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I intend to change the ATF in my '98 Maxima. The car has only done 38k miles and I last changed the fluid about 2 years ago.

The handbook calls for 'Nissan D-Matic' (which I assume is a Dexron III equiv.??). Any benefit in going to a synthetic on this car, and does anyone know if there is oilpan filter that needs to be changed? IIRC these JATCO 'boxes have a 'fixed' strainer only.

Thanks.

A couple of years ago I changed the fluid in my dads 99' Maxima and went with Walmart ST Dexron III with absolutely no problems.

Your Nissan owner's manual should state in the Capacities section that Dexron III is an acceptable equivalent for their Matic D fluid.

IIRC is right. It's a metal screen/strainer, not a replaceable filter. You can unbolt it (which is a job by the way) and clean it with carb or brake cleaner if you want, but most people report that is usually perfectly clear. That was the case on both my Altima and Maxima when I took their screens off and checked.

I run Mobil 1 ATF in both my Nissans presently, but am going to switch back to plain old Pennzoil Dexron III ATF the next time I service the tranny. I've come to the conclusion that it simply isn't worth the cost to use Mobil 1 when I drain the tranny fluid every 15/30K...but that's just me.

Here is a humorous post that one guy made after changing the ATF on his 01 Maxima.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335521/3

I have run 2 UOA on my tranny fluid on my 95 Altima ..Both with Mobile 1 ..run exclusively for the last 120,000 miles ... I have now switched to Valvoline dino ..will run a UOA on it we will see
smile.gif

A friend of mine has had excellent luck with Mobil 1 ATF in his 99 Max GXE. I can personally attest to less slop during shifts vs. whatever fluid the Nissan dealer put in it before.

At 80k miles, my Nissan already had 10+ drain/refills and one filter replacement. Pan removal allows cleaning of the ATF pan magnets.

If you install an aftermarket ATF cooler inline with the OEM cooler, then you don't need to use a synthetic ATF.

If you are lazy like me and the ATF cooler is sitting on a garage shelf, I'd recommend a synthetic ATF because these trannies can get hot quickly.

Any of the name brand DexronIII-h or synthetic dexIII's are good enough for regular maintenance.

Reverse flushing the OEM cooler is recommended. Nissan had cooler clogging problems because the OEM cooler can trap particles.

I'm sticking with Mobil1 or RoyalPurple ATF until I install the ATF cooler. Then, I'll probably switch to a blended synth like MerconV or multivehicle fluid. I don't care to save a few bucks on mineral ATF because transmissions cost too much to replace.

I have an 04 Altima, and the owners manual states that the auto trans requires Nissan Matic-D ATF in the U.S. and DexronIII in Canada. Also, in the capacities section, the ATF is the only fluid that does not list how many qt./lt. total capacity or drain & refill. I live in the U.S. and would like to use DexronIII.

Why would this transmission require Matic-D in US and Dex III in Canada? Surely its the same transmission in both countries? Is it simply that Nissan don't sell Matic-D in Canada?

99 Quest.
Mobil 1 ATF.
very impressed with it's performance on extreme cold, and, extended high speed summer use.
On a 90MPH run from toronto to quebec city with regular atf the transmission was literally BANGING into overdrive 3/4 of the way through the trip. I backed off to 70MPH fearing a meltdown.
no such issues next year with mobil 1, 90MPH average all the way there and no KABOOM sounds.

Charbaby, a drain/refill will take between 3.5-4.5 quarts depending on how long you wait and how well the car is tilted.

FTO-UK, Nissan gives Canadians a choice. But, around here, everyone is paranoid and will only do what the owner's manual tells them to do, even when it leads to blown trannies and sludged engines
grin.gif

Matic-D is synonymous with dexronIII. Matic-d is so good that Nissan needs its own "transmission fluid treatment" to help with abrupt or chirpy shifts
rolleyes.gif

If you want to use Dexron III, make sure it meets the latest H spec and a major name brand. Or, for a little more $, use MerconV or a multivehicle ATF which are usually blended synthetics and provide smoother shifting.
Full synths, if in your budget, should also be used.
But, regardless of fluid used, some sort of regulary change interval based on time, mileage, or both should be practiced.

I have had Chevron Dexron III (G) and Lubegard Black for the last 15K miles and have never been convinced that OTC fluids could outperform OEM fluids...

I cant wait to get Chevron III(H) ATF into my tranny!!!

I always like to change my ATF on a yearly basis because I generally keep my cars well into their teens(15-17yrs), before I end up giving them to a friend or family member. Beleive me, my cars are used up by that point(275000-325000mi), but they still run OK.

I tried Mobil 1 plus Lubegard HFM (black) in my wifes Lexus but we didn't care for how is was shifting, so we went back to Toyota T-IV. I would still like to try Mobil 1 DexIII in my 04 Altima now that it's a year old......unDummy, should I use other than Mobi 1 ???

My dad has a 01 supercharged crew frontier. The manual says matic d or dexronIII can be used.
The factory fluid stayed in it for 30k and since that point I try to do a drain and fill every 10k especially since it has a drain plug.
It now has 97k and shifts great with no sliping or anything adnormal.
Ive used havoline, valvoline and castrol atf with no problems at all.
Ive kept up with the drain and fills but I havent droped the pan yet but im going to try to get to that soon.

quote:

Originally posted by Char Baby:

.....I would still like to try Mobil 1 DexIII in my 04 Altima now that it's a year old......unDummy, should I use other than Mobi 1 ???

You should try that Mobil1 ATF by itself in the Altima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back