Mercon V vs. 100% Synthetic ATF>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to change the ATF in mu 1994 Ford Police Interceptor. Going to do the real deal---drop the pan, change the filter, drain T/C & flush cooler lines.

Now what to ATF to use? I have been happy with the Royal Purple synthetic. However, I keep being told Mercon V (a semi-synthetic) was "brewed" to address the infamous tranny shutter.

Would you choose the 100% synthetic, or the Mercon V? Royal Purple says they only carry a Mercon rating, due to licensing issues with Ford. They didn't think a "blend" could match a true synthetic. Is there something in the Mercon V that could, or does, make it superior to even a synthetic? Maybe something in the additive package, that even a true synthetic would not have?
I know the Amsoil claims a synthetic Mercon V, but it's costly. I receive R/P dealer pricing. Mercon V is fairly cheap and everywhere.Curious as to comments... Thanks!
grin.gif

If you do go with Mercon V make sure you buy a brand that actually says "synthetic blend" on the label. Some don't.

I'm currently in the process of doing a gradual refill of my GM tranny with ExxonMobil's "Aamco" branded Mercon V (which is also Dexron-IIIH approved). This is under $3 per quart and is labeled a Synthetic Blend. And generally, if something ExxonMobil makes has "synthetic" on it, you can count on it being made with PAO since they don't play the "Group III = syn" name game.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
If you do go with Mercon V make sure you buy a brand that actually says "synthetic blend" on the label. Some don't.

I'm currently in the process of doing a gradual refill of my GM tranny with ExxonMobil's "Aamco" branded Mercon V (which is also Dexron-IIIH approved). This is under $3 per quart and is labeled a Synthetic Blend. And generally, if something ExxonMobil makes has "synthetic" on it, you can count on it being made with PAO since they don't play the "Group III = syn" name game.

I'm just curious, if it's the 1/3rd synthetic in the Aamco (Exxon) Mercon V THAT makes the difference? If so...The Royal Purple sounds better 100% synthetic PAO's.
Or, is it certain additives in the Mercon V that makes it superior.

If you're happy with what you're using, stick with it.
If there are issues with what you're using, then its time to try another fluid.

Do you have the shudder issue? mileage on tranny? history of tranny? rebuilt? shift quality of tranny? mods on tranny?

I would use a full synth dexIII over a blend MV if budget allowed. And, if the full synth suffered any TC shudder or shift quality degradation, I'd just use a bottle of HFM additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back