Meron III vs Mercon V in 95 Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
My auto trans started slipping yesterday and I getting ready to flush and change tranny fluid. Should I use Mercon III or Mercon 5? Any difference in brands of Mercon III? Should I be taking car to trans shop? Thanks for all replies. gh

Its too late for preventive maintenance once "slipping" occurs.
Save your money for the rebuild.

Or, flush the tranny anyway and blame the fluid flush for blowing the tranny!

hagerg:

First things first...there's no such thing as Mercon III...it's actually called Dexron III/Mercon...
grin.gif

...and, no, there's no real difference in brands...just buy from any of the major suppliers: Motorcraft, AAMCO (made by ExxonMobil), Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc...one you've heard of before, not some no-name, generic, house-brand stuff.

Secondly, you should be using Mercon V, especially if you're experiencing the infamous 4R70W shudder, which is what I'm guessing you mean when you say it's "slipping". If it's actually slipping, save your money for a rebuild.

what RF said ... also do some searching on the crownvic site.

What type of miles are you talking about? What record of maintenance? If it's a high mileage unit without previous changes, then it may be time for a rebuild, not a fluid change.

Don't flush the tranny - you take the chance of getting debris loosened up and lodged somewhere bad like the valve body.

I know that there is a lot of info on the DexIII/Mer or Mer-V application. All I can say is that on my 95 CVPI I have used the Pennzoil DexIII/Mer with no problems. Car now has 109K miles on it. I have also had very good luck with the Pep Boys brand of tranny fluid (made by Valvoline?).

But with that said, I HAVE contemplated the Mer-V for the next fluid/filter change. I think that the Mer-V is a synthetic and is also more "slippery" if I remember right? Still mulling it over, but there is a lot of good experience on the crownvic site and here that is pushing me towards the Mer-V. Got another 20K miles before the next fluid change is needed.

wavinwayne:

Thanks for that link...
smile.gif

One thing I would like to mention, not to confuse things TOO much, is that Ford has retroactively (and officially) back-spec'd Mercon V for all AODE and 4R70W transmissions.

Link...scroll down to near the bottom...

quote:

Originally posted by RF Overlord:
wavinwayne:

Thanks for that link...
smile.gif

One thing I would like to mention, not to confuse things TOO much, is that Ford has retroactively (and officially) back-spec'd Mercon V for all AODE and 4R70W transmissions.

Link...scroll down to near the bottom...

Very, Very interseting. Well, I guess that settles it for me. I've got to change to tranny fluid in my wife's '97 Expy soon. It has the 4R70W tranny that came factory filled with Mercon. Several folks have told me to use Mercon V, but I was hesitant, until I read it right there on Motorcraft's website.
smile.gif

I should have also stated that the AODE and 4R70W are the ONLY transmissions this retroactive specification applies to. Do NOT use Mercon V in any other transmission or transaxle that doesn't call for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back