Those with 150000 miles or more on A/T check in

Status
Not open for further replies.
'88 Volvo, AW70 trans. Castrol Dexron at 30,000 intervals. Generally, dropped the pan, but did a flush the last time. Tranny still does everything it is supposed to. This vehicle (a 740 wagon) was used as a tow vehicle for my bassboat during the prime of it's (and my) life. I did not use the overdrive while towing.
Currently, 258,000 miles and going strong.

184,000 miles on a 1995 Ford Aerostar 3.0L. Wish I could tell you the maintenance history but other than a general LACK of maintenance on EVERYTHING I'm hard pressed to say.

Purchased the van recently and all the fluids other than the A/T fluid looked horrible and it's the only one I haven't changed yet. Van shifts fine in fact, I'm very impressed by how responsive and smooth the transmission is in this old girl. The whole van runs well actually except for a recent overheating issue that has been taken care of.

Guess even some abused vehicles will take a licking and keep on ticking. Hopefully it'll hang in there with some TLC.

I had a 89 Aerostar 3.0L with 204,000 miles and it shift very well when I gave it away. Changed the fluid in the pan (installed a drain plug) every other oil change with whatever ATF I had around - usually chevron dexIII/Merc. Towed a 5000lb trailer plus gear and passengers about 5-7 times a year for it's entire life.

Still have a 68 Impala SS 327/PG. The PowerGlide has 290K miles and was even driven for a week nearly out of fluid. It still shifted fine when it was rebuilt about 2 years ago during the restoration. There was some visible ware, but nothing that would have made it fail in the next 100K. Maintenance was minimal untill I got it from my Unlce. Car was also drive VERY hard for all of it's previous life.

Patrick

1991 Chevy Caprice Classic 305 with 700R4 was serviced for the first time @130k miles. Did complete changeout/flush/filter change using Walmart DexIII. Ran 2000 miles as a flush, then complete flush and refill with Amsoil ATF. Added an additional cooler 11 x 12" 3/4" thick, Long manufactured unit. Now vehicle has 214k miles on original powertrain and still running strong. Trans. still shifts like a new one. Fluid still is cherry red and smells new. Has been used to tow heavy boat and dual axle Uhaul trailers many times.

Also, I might add that I've always added an aux. trans. cooler on all the automatics I've owned and feel that it has contributed to never having to have one rebuilt. I've always kept my vehicles well past 200k miles. The cooler helps the fluid to last longer, also, especially here in SC heat and mountains.

wat amazes me is how some folks never change the filter... just the fluid, or dont do a service until very high mileage and time...

Yet their trans last well... because of their driving style/profile, trns design, etc...

At what point is it luck, at what point is it irresponsible, and at what point is it just plain dumb?

JMH

JHZR2

I know an old man who is a friend of my dad's. When I told my dad about having his 03 Sentra 65k miles transmission changed. this friend told him "transmission fluid never has to be changed"
shocked.gif

Someone I know was told by their spouse that changing the transmission fluid is bad because it "breaks the seal."

'95 GMC K1500 Z-71 w/ 168k miles

Had first trans service performed at 166,xxx miles by myself right after I bought it.

Drop'd and cleaned pan, installed new filter, installed drain plug.

Refilled w/ 5 quarts of ST DEXIII, then drove for a week, then drained, refilled, and added 15oz of LubeGuard.

Transmission shifts fine!

Pics of trans service

well not quite 150,000 but should be by next year.

about 132,000 miles, i bought my 92 Explorer with 95,000 miles on it, since then i've dropped the pan put in a new filter and 4 quarts of fluid roughly every 12 to 15,000 miles.

i just recently installed another tranny cooler with a Auxilary Transmission filter kit that uses a regular spin on oil filter for better filtering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back