Napa 80w90 GL-3,4,5 gear oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'am replacing the clutch in my nissan ser. The owners manual says to use 75w85 GL-4 fluid. I saw some napa 80w-85w-90 (says that on the bottle) gear oil that says api services GL-5, GL-4, and GL-3 on the bottle, along with saying manufactured for napa distribution centers by ashland inc. I like the fact it states it meets anti-foaming requirments of high performance service. Would I be better off sticking to a GL-4 only fluid? I dont wont this to be like the el-cheapo coastal "all rated" fluid I used once that made me shift slow because it was to slippery for the syncros.

Any time that GL-5 is listed, even if it is listed along with GL-3, it should be avoided in transmissions unless the oil maker specifically says that it is safe in transmissions. Most additives that make it GL-5 will damage yellow metals (synchros).

I would not use it. Although sometimes a little hard to find, there is enough GL-4 around that you don't need to take the risk.

Others may have some more specific recomendations.

Gear oil that is multi rated should be the 'good' type that is buffered and is OK for yellow metals.
The ones to truly avoid are the GL5 only designation when used in a manual trans.
I don't think you'll get the best shifting out of that fluid, however. There are many better sauces available.

I am going to order some amsoil GL-4 fluid. Its $20.40 per gallon plus shipping on their site. I think overall I wont like the shift feel as much with the napa fluid.

While i think amsoil makes great stuff, I used there 75w90 fluid in my 97 hardbody manual and it was WAY to slipery! Even slow shifting would make it grind after it was fully warmed up.
Of course mine was the muitirated gl 4 and 5 so you may be ok with just 4.
I drained the amsoil for some mt90 and everthing was great.
Im sticking to nissan 75w85 in my 04 frontier for the time being.

Yes, with all the good syncromesh fluids currently available, I wouldn't bother with a general purpose gear oil in a manual transmission anymore.
spaz.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back