Hyraulic Brake Fluid for my Farm Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what this New Holland hyd. brake fluid is?

1QM6C34A

on the back of the bottle it contains:

1)Distillates (petroleum), solvent dewaxed heavy paraffinic 64742-65-0

2)Phenol, dimethyl-, phosphate(3:1) 25155-23-1

I have an old bottle dated 1986 that smells like silicone brake fluid, but what I bought recently at the dealership smells and looks much different.

If it is silicone brake fluid would Dow Corning SBF1010 be a good substitute?

Thanks RBR

The description sounds like a mineral oil. I know some industrial systems use a mineral oil. With all the oil resistant elastomers available now, it hardly makes sense to stick with the glycol ethers for automobiles. Why not one fluid for the transmission, power steering, and brakes? You already have the Hydroboost using the power steering to boost the brakes in a few applications. The transition would be horrendous for the clueless that didn't read the owners manual to see which fluid their car took. Even more reason to never let your ride near a quick lube.

It is very common for certain tractors to use hydraulic oil as the brake fluid. In many cases the same tractor hydraulic oil for the transmission is used, but do check either with the tractor dealer or the oil maker. I checked for one Case owner, and Schaeffer's #315 tractor fluid met the specs for both the transmission/hydraulic system and the hydraulic brakes.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back