Synthetic gear lube question

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

maybe when its put back together it will be setup more precisely and the noise will be gone But I think you may be chasing just a noise causd by improper setup of the ring and pinion and likely normal wear and tear.

That has been my experience amd the message I was conveying above:

quote:

There are generally two kinds of noises in the diffy, one when you coast and one when you accelerate.

It may be the shims in the shim pack has worn in the drive pinion and you are getting a bit more thrust on one side of the ring gear tooth than on the other side, such that the drive pinion/ring gear mesh is not quite up to par.

I would still take the U-joints out and make sure they aren't worn due to inadequate factory greasing.

The shims are little circular metal plates of thin, hardened steel (actually special washers)that set the clearances between the input (drive) pinion and the ring gear. Shims behind the input or drive pinion set the longitudinal distance (forward/rearward relation) to the ring gear tooth, while the ring gear shims set the depth of tooth engagement.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential3.htm

Like Mike said, if you are really concerned, have it torn down and inspected, otherwise use a GL5 HD 18 cSt Gear Lube and ignore the noise.

[ February 13, 2005, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Wtd You might benefit from this story:
In 93 I bought a c1500 Chevy to pull my racecar around , from day one the truck made a clunk everytime i stepped on the gas,many trips to the dealer provided no solution so i just drove it that way. Around 50,000 miles the rear end started to sound like a siren, at 72,000 the sound was so loud I pulled the rear end down and found the front pinion bearing cup all pitted and looking like the Grand Canyon, replaced the pinion bearings and the carrier side bearings and no noise.
Come to find out that clunk when I stepped on the gas was the driveshaft moving back on the tranny spline, there is a TSB on it now. The driveshaft binds on the tranny spline when I stepped on the gas it broke loose and slammed into the pinion like a hammer eventually destroying the front pinion bearing. I traded the truck shortly thereafter. Just my experience with a noisy Chevy diff.
Good Luck Pete

Pete,
Thanks for the story. Mine has never really had that bad of a clunk but I guess it could have caused my noise. I'm taking it in Thursday to have it looked at. I'm guessing pinion bearings and thats what the guy at the shop says it probably is. He says he does them all of the time. According to him, its pretty common in the 10 bolt rearends.

Wayne

I took the truck to the shop today. Its the pinion bearings. They are going to replace them today. So much for synthetic helping out this rearend. Only 77,000 miles on the truck and the noise started quite a few miles back. This truck has been taken very good care of and I have hardly hauled or towed anything. Needless to say I'm quite disappointed.

Wayne

I have to believe you had a pre-existing problem with the input (drive) pinion bearings. I have done a lot of work with differentials and fluid development for same and if the preload setup isn't correct, you will have wear problems no matter the fluid. So I don't think the fluid base oil or formulation is/was your problem.

In developing gear lubes and working with transmissions and differentials, I have even gone so far as to have the metallurgy of the bearings/races dissected in a materials testing laboratory to determine cause and effect.

In one instance, a fluid I had developed for a racing event was thought to have caused or help cause a failure. The input pinion bearings (Input pinion to delineate from the differential pinions) has failed during a racing circle track event on a very hot day.

The bearings, races, input pinion bearings, etc were scored and flaked; all kinds of metal debris that had wound up in the fluid were taken to the metallurgical lab.

Two weeks later the report came back. The alloy content and hardness of the races, ball and roller bearings were analyzed along with the ring gear, etc.

One finding was the alloy mix was consistent with these types of bearings as compared to a databse of national standards and other, comparable bearings.

What was not correct, however, was the heat treatment of the races. The lab had done Brinell hardness tests of the races and found them to be too soft. Scanning electron microscopic analysis of the surfaces of the races from dissection cuts showed our fluid had laid down the correct ratio and thickness of EP additives.

So when someone tells me our fluid has caused their diffy or tranny to fail, I ask then to send me the parts and a sample of fluid, and I have them analyzed down to the um surface.

I am not saying this was your situation, I am just saying there is more than fluid to consider when examining failure modes.

Its very possible I had an existing problem. I bought the truck new and have taken excellent care of it so I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything I did. The guys at the shop say that they do a ton of pre 1999 10 bolt chevy truck rearends, especially in the suburbans. They said the pinion bearings are too small in this rearend. They said the rearends in the 99 and up chevy trucks use a bigger bearing and they have not been a problem. He did say that some of the trucks never have a problem so It could be in how the rearend in my truck was set up at the factory.

I'm just hopeing that this won't become a problem again the rest of the time I own this truck.

In the future I'm going to have to decide what fluid I want to run in the rearend. The shop just put in a dino 80W-90 gear lube with limited slip additive and some other type of additive. I doubt I keep this in very long. I'm not sure if I will go back with a synthetic or just stay dino and change more frequently.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Wayne

Molakule, that was some intersting reading because bearing failure analysis is my livelihood. I run a met lab, including SEM analysis. Some of my work is for the racing industry.

I agree that when it comes to bearings, many things can cause failure besides lubricant. Some of the more usual bearing failures are seal failure (allowing water and contaminants to mix with the oil), loss of preload (either poor installation or movement during use), or an aluminum oxide inclusion in the metal.

It's also interesting that the final result of the lab's analysis was low hardness. We never see this. It's very hard to have a bearing with low hardness make it outside of the manufacturing plant. Do you trust the met lab results you got? It is very easy to measure false low hardnesses. I'm very anal about my hardness measurements. I catch our techs making mistakes all the time (we have a high turnover rate of part-timers). That's why I prefer to do all my own work until I can absolutely trust my techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back