Recommend Auto Trans and Diff Fluid for 04 Tacoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.. many good conversations on this site. I constantly find myself spending hours reading! I've got an 04 Tacoma D-Cab (2wd) with 12,600 miles. What recommendations does everyone have regarding A/T fluid and rear diff fluid?

Thanks!
cheers.gif

A/T= I think Toyota recommends Type T-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid, so I'd recommend using Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF. Do three drain/refill cycles (driving 100 miles in between each fluid swap) and that should get rid of all of the old fluid from the torque converter.

Diff= Amsoil recommended 75W-90, GL-5 for the front under all temps, so I'd recommend using Amsoil Series 2000 Severe Gear 75W-90 Gear Lube.

For the rear differential, Amsoil recommends 80W-90, GL-5 for temps below -18C, so I think the same viscosity would apply for all temps. The Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 lube is also compatible in applications requiring 80W-90, so it should be safe for use in both differentials.

The total capacity of the AT is 6.9 quarts, with each drain/refill being 2.1 quarts. Both of the differentials take between 5.5-6.3 pints, depending on your truck's configuration. (The Amsoil product application guide was somewhat confusing, so check your owner's manual to double-check).

Hope this helps

Michael

EDIT: Forgot:

welcome.gif

Check your owners manual for fluid. My 2002 DC Prerunner states Dexron III, which I have been using for 90,000 miles, of the Castrol Transynd variety. Before the transynd, I was using Mobil 1 synthetic. It will take every bit of 5 quarts for the trans. I pull the tranny plug, and drain it every 15,000 miles. No filter in the pan, just a screen. Dropped the pan the first time, to check for any abnormal debris.

The rear diff will take almost 3 quarts. Again, I use the Mobil synthetic 75W-90 GL5 oil. I do this once a year. Oil that comes out looks just a pretty as the oil going in.

Hope this helps.

You need to know the spec of the transmission fluid. If it is Toyota Type T-IV, there are no Toyota approved substitutes. Amsoil says that their ATF is OK. Lubegard says that their supplement added to any Dexron-III ATF is OK. If your owner's manual calls for Dexron-III ATF, use any brand. I prefer synthetic, and Mobil 1 is excellent. If it calls for Toyota WS ATF, there are no substitutes.

For the differential gear oil any GL-5 gear oil of the correct viscosity is OK. Synthetic 75W-90 is widely used with good results...Mobil 1 is very good and easily available.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by MysticGold04:
Hello all.. many good conversations on this site. I constantly find myself spending hours reading! I've got an 04 Tacoma D-Cab (2wd) with 12,600 miles. What recommendations does everyone have regarding A/T fluid and rear diff fluid?

Thanks!
cheers.gif

Unfortunately you fall into the propriatery fluid years for the Toyota tacoma tranny. My 2002 is a dex III user and I do a drain and refill every 10 k with AMMCO. It is 5 quarts as mentioned by DRI for my 2002 auto 4x4.... the capacitites are wrong in the manual. So get 5 qts of the Toyota fluid, I would trust no others if it is the spec.

I assume you do not offroad if you are speaking only of rear diff fluid. I run the Coastal 80w90 because it's cheap, it meets specs and I run the risk of contamination, so it needs to be cheap for guilt free offroading
grin.gif
. If you stay on the road a good syntetic fluid in the rear such as Mobil 1 should increase the driveline effeciency and last for practicly ever.

The best thing you can do is install an auxillary transmission cooler when you drain and refill your tranny. This will do more than any particular fluid for increasing the fluid and trannies lifespan, it's heat and oxidation that kills them.

My Mothers 03 Tundra TRD 4x4 Acces cab has been getting M1 ATF since new every 15,000 miles. It shifts great. Here dipstick and manual call for Dex ATF. I have been told that some time in 2003 they swithced their recomendation over to T-IV.

The diff fluid is another storey! We have lots of room on the diff.What are you looking for synthetic or conventional and what can you get localy? I like Redline and Royal Purple gear lubes for synthetic gear lubes! In conventional gear lubes I like Havoline,Castrol,Mobil,Delo all equaly well. The trick with conventional gear lube is to make sure you change it at the bare minimum every 2 years or 24,000 miles under normal duty. I like to change it more often like once a year.

While Redline has a long track record of protecting rear ends from massive abuse Royal Purple has the best spec.'s on paper with a Timkin load of over 140Lbs. for all of their gear lubes!

Mr Gene Young in Lancaster was an Amsoil direct jobber for a number of years. You can find anything you need from him. He used to live on Fern Avenue just north of Ave K if memory serves me.

I was stationed at Edwards AFB from 1983-1987 and used to pick up product from Gene ....

The Amsoil synthetic is recommended for Toyota type T and type T-IV applications....

TS

I posted this in another thread, it may help.

Toyota specs the following for 4X4 Tacoma 96-04 with V6 3.4L

Engine: 5W30 API SJ SL (5.7 QTs with filter)
Man Trans: Gear Oil API GL-4 or GL-5 75W90 (2.3 Qts)
Auto Trans: Toyota ATF D-II or Dexron III (2.1 Qts in drain pan)
Trans Case: Gear Oil API GL-4 or GL-5 75W90 (1.1 Qts)
Front Diff: Hypoid Gear Oil 75W90 (1.2 Qts)
Rear Diff: Above 0ºF SAE 90, Below 0ºF SAE 80 or 80W90 (3.1 Qts with locker and 2.6 Qts without)

You can use 75W90 GL-5 gear oil in both differentials and transfer case. Most 75W90 gear oils spec for both GL-4 and GL-5. The four most common synth gear oils on the board are Mobil, Amsoil, Redline and Royal Purple. Each have their own specific product lines. With just 37K miles, I wouldn't bother with any flushes. Just switch to an all synthetic drivetrain.

As for the auto trans, you'll only get about 2QTs of the 7QTs in the system by pulling the drain pan plug. Unless, you're experienced at trans flushing. A T-Tech complete flush/dino fluid change can be done for about $90 at Jiffy Lube, or check if your dealer can do it. That's if you want all the auto trans fluid changed. If not, then you'll be safe just changing the 2QTs in the pan with a synthetic ATF. Most people do.

If you're changing any of these yourself, remember the first rule. Break loose the fill plug FIRST! You'll curse yourself silly if you drain the gear oil and cannot refill it!

And for the record:

Toyota Tacoma New Vehicle Limited Warranty:

Basic (B to B): 36K miles/36 months
Powertrain: 60K miles/60 months
Restraint Systems: 60K miles/60 months
Emissions: 80K miles/96 months
Corrosion Perforation: Unlimited miles/60 months

Great information everyone... Thanks for all the suggestions... The ones I am most concerned with are the AT and Rear Diff.. Engine is already running 5w30 Mobil 1. I have a tranny cooler, just need to install the darned thing.
patriot.gif

I agree with John Browning on the differential fluid. Redline is great stuff. I tend to use Mobil 1 whenever possible, be it engine oil, ATF or gear oil. However, my '03 Tundra limited slip rear end calls for straight 90 wt., and Mobil 1 makes either 75W90 or 75/140...and the 90 is a thin 90 @ 212F. So, I checked the specs of the other synthetic fluids, and, as John discovered, the excellent Tinken load and good, strong 90 wt. at 212F sold me on Royal Purple 75W-90. I DO use Mobil 1 in the front diff. & transfer case, as Toyota calls for 75W-90 for both. My 2003 was built in 11/02 and it calls for T-IV ATF, so that's what I use. John's Mom's '03 must have been one of the really early '03's to call for Dexron. I believe the Tacoma mentioned in the original post is almost certainly spec'd for T-IV.

Anyone have an opinion or have seen this fluid anywhere?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MysticGold04:
I just came across a Mobil brand a/t fluid that says it is within spec for Type T-IV that Toyota specs.. It is Mobil ATF 3309... what is everyone's opinion on this? Should I stick with the Toyota formula till my warranty expires, or should I be okay using this stuff? Toyota T-IV is about $8 a quart here in town.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back