Castrol SYNTORQ - anyone have info on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for the ultimate oil for the T-56 in my GM. I have read every post on this site that ever mentioned the T-56 and there is very little agreement! We know the factory recommends DexronIII works but I can't stop thinking there must be a better product out there than the $2 bottle Wal Mart stuff! My car has almost 500hp and the tranny gets very hot on the race track.

It is said that M1 ATF, Redline D4ATF and MTL as well as other can cause shifting issues and worse. There have been some rave reviews of the GM Synchromesh but it doesn't seem to be the correct "spec" of oil for the T-56.

Does anyone have info on Castrol SYNTORQ? I have found it is the factory fill for the Viper's T-56 which as far as I can tell is the same as the GM spec T-56 but with beefier gears. It is said to be a 75W85, (heavier than a DexronIII I guess?), synthetic, and costs a mint at the dealer (approx $20qt). Maybe it is the magic fluid all of us T-56 owners have been looking for?

Any feedback would be great
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ringmaster:
I got the Syntorq price at a Dodge dealer.

GM sells the same stuff for significantly less. Black bottle, purple "label", and nice smell. I use the stuff in my NV4500, but I'd use what I mentioned above for your transmission.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by ringmaster:
I got the Syntorq price at a Dodge dealer.

GM sells the same stuff for significantly less. Black bottle, purple "label", and nice smell. I use the stuff in my NV4500, but I'd use what I mentioned above for your transmission.

Thanks for the tip, it would be nice to save the $$ vs Dodge. Don't suppose you have the GM part # that you purchased?

I hear what you are saying but the confusion stems from the fact that the Viper's T-56 has the Syntorq as a factory fill...so in essence TTC is suggesting it.

I am sure the Redline D4ATF is a great product, but I worry that it will be too slippery (is that correct?) for good synchro engagement.

ringmaster, try doing a search of this forum using the word “Syntorq” and see what you find. The stuff has already been discussed here before. I believe it is a GL-4 75W-85 gear oil, the same as specified for my Nissan 6-speed.

I never pursued it vigourously and never found a supplier of the stuff. I use a mix of Red Line MTL and MT-90.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Have you considered using Mercon V, which is a semi-synthetic fluid?

I used Mercon V in a manual transmission which calls for Dexron III/Mercon and it greatly improved the shifting in cold weather.

It's better than the $2/quart Wal-Mart stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
ringmaster, try doing a search of this forum using the word “Syntorq” and see what you find. The stuff has already been discussed here before. I believe it is a GL-4 75W-85 gear oil, the same as specified for my Nissan 6-speed.

I never pursued it vigourously and never found a supplier of the stuff. I use a mix of Red Line MTL and MT-90.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thanks for the reply. I have searched and read every post that mentioned Syntorq. Unfortunately I didn't dig up any great info on it and I am still not sure of how is would react as a substitute to Dexron III in my T-56. As I mentioned before, I know for a fact that is is the spec oil for the T-56 in Vipers so it must be decent but I am trying to find the pros and cons of this vs. Dexron III in my application.

If you need data on syntorq or the syntorq LT contact me via email. If you want a reasonably priced alternative check with Specialty Formulations, our newest site sponsor. I think Mola has made a superior and less costly product.

TD

AMSOIL Torque-Drive™ is recommended as a direct replacement for TranSynd® Synthetic ATF in heavy duty, on and off highway automatic transmissions manufactured by Allison®, General Motors®, Ford®, Voith® and ZF® or wherever the standards TES-295, C-4, DEXRON® III, MERCON® or ZF® TE-ML 14C are specified. Examples of operations that benefit from using AMSOIL Torque-Drive™ include municipal or transit buses, garbage haulers, motor homes, delivery vans, emergency vehicles, school buses, dump trucks, utility vehicles, cement trucks, line haul trucks and tow trucks.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/atd.htm

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/torque_drive_q_a.htm

Unfortunately, I haven’t been really ‘tuned in’ to this place in the last few months like I had been throughout its prior existence, so I didn’t figure out until just recently that MolaKule has started his own company.
pat.gif

But I intend to his try GL-4 lube this coming spring. Sounds like it might be just the trick for my 'tuner' car.

I’ll have 30,000 miles on my Nissan SpecV with its notoriously finicky 6-speed manual tranny.

About the first 10,000 miles were with the factory oil and the last 20,000 were with a 20/80 mix Red Line MTL. Both were OK ... but the tranny should really shift smoother than it does.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by the_oil_dealer:
eww never use ATF in a manual transmission!! Unless you live in Siberia.

Never ! My owners manual says use Mercon ATF in my 5 speed manual transmission. So, there are apps. for such fluids.
nono.gif

SteveA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back