What fluids for an 02 Trailblazer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LTZ package if that makes a difference
tongue.gif

What's recommended for the drivetrain related fluids as i'm not to up to speed on GN speced fluids?

Well if you have the G80 anti-slip rear axle, I would recommend Amsoil Extreme pressure syn gear lube 75-90. IT has the anti-slip additive in it already. Use the same for the front axle (if you have 4wd).

The transfer case ONLY uses the GM auto-trak II fluid. You CANNOT use any other fluid, as far as I know of last, nobody makes it. Its blue, and its not that expensive ($5-$6 at the dealer) and you only need 2 qts for the T-Case.

For the trans, people have reported problems with using synthetic trans fluid. I just changed my fluid and filter in my 02 Envoy SLT (hehe more options than the trailblazer
wink.gif
) and refilled with quaker state regular Dexron III.

The engine I fill with Castrol Syntec blend 5w-30 and always an AC delco oil filter.

Hope that helps!! If you have the anti-slip axle in the rear, make sure you change that fluid at least every 20-25k miles!!!!

I know of several with newer GM auto trans using synthetic ATF and no problems. I have Amsoil ATF in my 2004 GMC truck for over 6 months and 10,000 miles. No problems whatsoever.

BUT I STRESS, when you do the AT let a professional trans shop do it. Don't let price be a factor in having the work done. Many a problem can be traced back to the owner doing it himself (he knows best for sure, right? WRONG!) or some fly-by-night shop who could care less if he knows whats he doing. Not putting in the correct amount or adding to much can have a negative affect on the trans and could cause it to overheat or fail. A quality tech will always test drive a vehicle after working on the trans, always!

My wifes 04 Trailblazer came from the factory with synthetics in frt. & rear ends, the transfer case came with a synthetic oil, the trans calls for DexronIII, P/S haven't looked, Dexcol in the radiator, I use 5-30 Mobil 1, and GM oil filters. Again this is a 2004.

Yeah so did my 2002 Envoy. The "synthetic" axle fluid from the factory will degrade and around 20-25-30k miles (more or less on how you drive)you are going to want to change that junk- when you see it drain out you will KNOW what I mean. Instead of paying $20 a quart for GM axle fluid, plus the additive, I refilled with Amsoil Extreme Pressure Severe Gear 75w-90 which was $7 a quart and already had the anti-slip additive in it (I highly recommend this stuff - it immediately stopped my G80 clutches from binding from the "old" factory fluid). It also meets & exceeds GM requirements.
Dont take for granted you already have synthetics in there from the factory- it doesnt really mean squat in the G80 axle and front axle (if 4wd equipped).
Kudos (can i use that word on here, lol) on your choice of oil and oil filter - IMO the best pair.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Instead of paying $20 a quart for GM axle fluid, plus the additive, I refilled with Amsoil Extreme Pressure Severe Gear 75w-90 which was $7 a quart and already had the anti-slip additive in it (I highly recommend this stuff - it immediately stopped my G80 clutches from binding from the "old" factory fluid). It also meets & exceeds GM requirements.

Can you show me/us where the AMSOIL is stated to meet or exceed the GM 9986115 spec? I went to the website and looked at this product (seems very good, BTW) but no actual claim it will meet the GM requirement.

I have contacted several oil maufacturers and have been repeatedly told that the only fluid that will meet the GM spec is that expensive, er, stuff sold by the dealer. It is a Texaco product, FWIW....

Believe me, I would gladly pay a third party supplier but as of yet I have not found one that will specifically claim, in writing, that their gear oil will satisfy the GM requirements.

Thanx

Bob W.

Poyal Purple emailed me back and stated their MaxGear 75W-90 exceeds the GM spec, so that's what is in the G80 dif in my 2002 Trailblazer.

Here's a couple if pics of the original GM Gear oil out of my Trailblazer at 10,600 miles. I put about 10 oz in a plastic bottle, laid it over on a ceramic ring magnet overnight, and you see the results in the lower pic. Stuff has a metallic sheen if the light's just right.

-

-

I hope we can come up with some good options for us with Trailblazers. I will start checking myself and post any findings on this site.

Cool pics Tblazed.

It's an LTZ package with 4WD.Anyone try M1 75W90 in these differentials?

quote:

Originally posted by tblazed:
Poyal Purple emailed me back and stated their MaxGear 75W-90 exceeds the GM spec, so that's what is in the G80 dif in my 2002 Trailblazer.

That's good to know. Thanx for the heads-up. How many miles are you going on it?

I contacted AMSOIL and NEO to see what their position is re: meeting/exceeding the GM spec. Both of these look like very good gear oils, so it would be nice if they woukd work (warranty isues, you know...). I am waiting to here back from them.

Redline wrote me back and advised that their 75w-90 would satisfy the GM requirement of a synthetic fluid. Has anyone used this in an Eaton G80 locker?

Conco-Phillips stated they had nothing which would satisfy the GM requirement. The Union76 wing of this company wrote back and said "This is a special gear lube that is available only from GM."

Hmmmm...

cheers.gif

Bob W.

While researching for a suitable replacement oil, I came across Texaco Syn-Star 22110 gear lube that should for all practical purposes meet or exceed the GM spec since it meets/exceeds the Eaton, Dana, etc., specs, other than not having a grape fragrance GM has added to their oil I guess for easy identification. But if you want gear oil that has the official GM number on it, then you will have to go with the GM brand gear oil.

I will probably leave the Royal Purple in for several years since I don't drive a whole lot, now that the majority of the new wear break-in crud or whatever that stuff is/was has been removed.

quote:

I will probably leave the Royal Purple in for several years since I don't drive a whole lot, now that the majority of the new wear break-in crud or whatever that stuff is/was has been removed.

How many miles did you have on the grape juice before you changed it?

Thanx

Bob W.

quote:

Here is the response I got from AMSOIL:

"Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, yes AMSOIL Synthetic Severe Gear 75W90 Gear Lube (SVG) is the AMSOIL cross to GM 9986115.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jim Van
AMSOIL Technical Services"

Bob W.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

Instead of paying $20 a quart for GM axle fluid, plus the additive, I refilled with Amsoil Extreme Pressure Severe Gear 75w-90 which was $7 a quart and already had the anti-slip additive in it (I highly recommend this stuff - it immediately stopped my G80 clutches from binding from the "old" factory fluid). It also meets & exceeds GM requirements.

Can you show me/us where the AMSOIL is stated to meet or exceed the GM 9986115 spec? I went to the website and looked at this product (seems very good, BTW) but no actual claim it will meet the GM requirement.

I have contacted several oil maufacturers and have been repeatedly told that the only fluid that will meet the GM spec is that expensive, er, stuff sold by the dealer. It is a Texaco product, FWIW....

Believe me, I would gladly pay a third party supplier but as of yet I have not found one that will specifically claim, in writing, that their gear oil will satisfy the GM requirements.

Thanx

Bob W.

Well I guess the guy above my post answered your question.. but on my part not only did I call my Local Amsoil Sales rep, but he gave me a ton of literature. On the New Extreme Gear Severe Gear Lube Information Sheets, it clearly states "meets GM requirements for #xxxxxxxx" I wouldnt have used it otherwise. I even called my Dealer Parts department and spoke to a tech at a local Dealership. I had the parts dept manager and a experienced Tech tell me it would be good, if not better than the OEM fluid.
Actually, the tech I spoke with said he replaced his G80 axle fluid in his pickup with Royal Purple- so there "are" alternatives to the GM OEM fluid you buy at the parts dept.

I cant believe that axle fluid came out of of a TB or Envoy with less than 20k miles!!!! Mine had around 67k when I changed mine and I cant believe it was as bad as it was. Its important to get the word out to all G80 or 4 wheel drive TB or Envoy owners before they do any damage un-knowingly.

That's basically the same response I got from Amzoil too, same person, except for a disclaimer at the end which I didn't think should be necessary if they were 100% confident in their statement. I know they say the accuracy is based on the info in the original question, but a GM part number is pretty specific. Plus, around here anyway. RP is readily available at several different parts stores, so it's easy to come by. Both I think would do very well from what I have gathered.

Less than 11,000 mi on the oil when I changed it with the picture results of my "test" a few posts above.

quote:

but on my part not only did I call my Local Amsoil Sales rep, but he gave me a ton of literature. On the New Extreme Gear Severe Gear Lube Information Sheets, it clearly states "meets GM requirements for #xxxxxxxx" I wouldnt have used it otherwise. I even called my Dealer Parts department and spoke to a tech at a local Dealership. I had the parts dept manager and a experienced Tech tell me it would be good, if not better than the OEM fluid.
Actually, the tech I spoke with said he replaced his G80 axle fluid in his pickup with Royal Purple- so there "are" alternatives to the GM OEM fluid you buy at the parts dept.

I cant believe that axle fluid came out of of a TB or Envoy with less than 20k miles!!!! Mine had around 67k when I changed mine and I cant believe it was as bad as it was. Its important to get the word out to all G80 or 4 wheel drive TB or Envoy owners before they do any damage un-knowingly.

Dang....

I got worried and had my changed at around 12,500 and used the stealership to do it, using the grape juice (I know but the timing of it and this darn job of mine forced it this way).

Based on what was posted above, I am seriously thinking about changing it at 25K miles and using one of the alternatives around.

Both Redline and RP are available over the counter, as it were.

Thanks for the research!

cheers.gif

Bob W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back