LUBEGARD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 F150,4R70W,104K miles
What,if any,by adding this elixir to my transmission,will it do for it?I know AAMCO uses this product in there new or rebuilt transmissions so that in itself might mean it is a good additive.Any opinions,please?
dunno.gif

AAMCO's not the only one recommending it. I just bought a StreetMax 200 4R transmision from Art Carr Performance and they told me they use & recommend it in their transmissions. They apperantly put it in when they dyno test. I just put in a bottle when I changed the fluid in my '98 Blazer.

I have no issues with the idea that Lubegard is a quality product.* However, I have issues that doctoring any Group I or Group II based "universal" ATF such as DEXRON-III will result in the same long-term reliability that use of the manufacturer's likely Group III based proprietary ATF will. Countering that using Lubegard with a synthetic ATF should alleviate those concerns still brings up the question of the expense involved without establishing beyond doubt that the resulting mix will really be equivalent to the proprietary fluid let alone superior. What AAMCO recommends or directs its franchisees to initially fill AAMCO rebuilt transmissions during an exchange is beside the point. The real question in my mind is how long are AAMCO rebuilt transmissions warranted?

*I used Lubegard "black" and DEXRON-III in my '96 Accord during a complete flush and changeout at 30,000 miles - but that was a car in which the owner's manual grudgingly accepted the use of DEXRON-II (DEXRON-III is listed as backward compatible with the older DEXRON-II.) as service backfill anyway. During the remaining year and a half I owned that car, the transmission's shift quality was markedly improved over that of the factory fill fluid - and without a drop in calculated fuel mileage, either.

Lubegard's website has extensive information about the product differences. The short answer is that Lubegard "red" is an ATF stabilizer and anti-oxident to extend the working life of the fluid. It can be added to any ATF since it has no friction modifier content. The working qualities of synthetic wax esters derived from bio-renewable seed oils duplicate or surpass the disirable qualities of sperm whale oil once used for that purpose but now unavailable because of the international whaling ban. (When blended with ATFs in the past, sperm whale oil was used at a treatment rate of approximately a thimble full to the quart of finished product. Didn't take much! The first alternative GM tried after the whaling ban went into effect was another natural ester: LARD! Lubegard "black" is Lubegard "red" with HFM content added to allegedly duplicate the HFM characteristics of many proprietary ATFs. Ditto Lubegard "green", but applicable to Mercon V requirements. Lubegard "platinum" is allegedly a good-fer-what-ails-ya' "universal" ATF supplement. Believe that if you want to... In any event add these HFM supplements (if you choose to try any of 'em) to a DEXRON (conventional or synthetic) ATF, only. Use with an already HFM fluid could result in engine speed flare in upshifts due to excess slippage after a few hundred miles of saturating the frictional facings.

Thanks for the summary Ray, I was about to start a new post in regards to this issue.

My question is this, In a GM application(which recommends DEX-III) would there be and reason to use one of these products, given the fluid was changed on a regular basis. I see alot of people recommending them, but I don't see the reason unless your trying to "convert" a fluid to a special type.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
My question is this, In a GM application(which recommends DEX-III) would there be and reason to use one of these products, given the fluid was changed on a regular basis. I see alot of people recommending them, but I don't see the reason unless your trying to "convert" a fluid to a special type.

-T

Well, if Lubegard's claims are true, you'll extend your fluid and your transmission life with their product. I have not heard of any problems with their supplements, but have not heard any stories of wonderful results, either. Given the price of Lubegard, I rather just buy a top-quality synthetic ATF.

Ken

Lubeguard is a fantastic product. I added a red bottle to the ATF+3 that I refilled my tranny with and the shift quality improvement was instant.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:

quote:

-T

Well, if Lubegard's claims are true, you'll extend your fluid and your transmission life with their product. I have not heard of any problems with their supplements, but have not heard any stories of wonderful results, either. Given the price of Lubegard, I rather just buy a top-quality synthetic ATF.

Ken

I'd use Lubegard before switching to a synthetic ATF, at $5 per quart I'd spend $35+tax just in fluid. If wanted to make sure that I changed most of my fluid it would be twice that.

I already use LC in my tranny and change it every year, so I take it this would be to no advantage?

Are there any differences between LubeGuard Black and LubeGuard Red?

When I spoke to the Nissan representative he told me that Nissan ATF have HFMs apart from some "special" additives -- Is that true?

I added Lubeguard black into my tranny yesterday which I flushed some months ago -- the shifts has improved remarkably. I am really surprised that 10oz in a 10Q tranny can do all this magic, specially the down shift, there is no jerk when it moves from higher to lower gears. I have to say this is a high quality product.

I used to wonder why the OEM fluid was better in shifts compared to fresh DexronIII fluid -- it may very well have to do with the friction modifiers in the OEM fluid.

quote:

My question is this, In a GM application(which recommends DEX-III) would there be and reason to use one of these products, given the fluid was changed on a regular basis.-T

Given the maintenance parameters you specified, probably not. GM automatic transmissions are already fairly reliable and smooth shifters with just the DEXRON-III ATF they were designed for. But, if you insisted on pre-emptive application of Lubegard in one, Lubegard "red" would be the only recommended version from my read.

[ November 03, 2004, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Ok,lets rephrase my question;I have a 97 F150,4.2V6,4R70W transmission,104k miles and I use Motorcraft MerconV fluid.Which Lubegard should I use?
dunno.gif

I bought some LUBEGARD red yesterday and put it in my tranny.I drove to a friends house last night,130 miles round trip,and on the ride home this stuff kicked in! My trans now shifts so much smoother! I highly recommend LUBEGARD! BTW,it cost $11.99,so be ready for that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back