Power steering fluid for my '97 Jeep Wrangler (recommendation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a power steering fluid for my 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 2.5l. It has the factory PS fluid in it still from
09-1996 and the Jeep has 72k miles on it. I really want to use something good like the Redline but I don't want to mess anything up because I don't have enough money for all new pump, hoses, etc. I'm just worried because it clearly says "USE ONLY PETROLEUM OIL". Please let me know what you think on this guys.

Manual says:
Use only petroleum fluids formulated for minimum effect on rubber hoses. Use Mopar Power Steering Fluid. DO NOT use automatic transmission fluid.

-Does this mean I can't use a synethic?

-I'm interested in Redline powersteering fluid but it would be a synthetic right?

-How about the Valvoline SynPower? My neighbor has it in his Dodge ram 2500.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Please advise.

Thank you,
Seth

Running Valvoline Synpower Synthetic PS fluid in my 2000 TJ with no problems. Offroading killed my stock PS box at 30k miles and I upgraded to a 1985 Grand Wagoneer PS box that I currently run.

Is the SynPower actually a synthetic or is a petroleum oil? I am not sure...

Anyone have any information on either of those or any experience with the Redline or if it is any good?

Although both ATF and PSF are similar, there are differences; (at least one long thread on this in past). As far as caution goes, one contributor indicates that ATF "may" cause seal degradation a little more quickly than PSF.

Have a 2001 Cherokee XJ L6-242, changed PSF for about second or third time 8/03 to REDLINE PSF, and LUBEGUARD (PSF-spec). Ran Auto-Rx in prescribed amount/miles. Added DERALE cooler and MAGNEFINE auxiliary filter. PSF seemed a little thin, so added LUBEGUARD.

Now, one year and 30k later am again running A-Rx to clean (doing trans, again, also), and plan to use REDLINE C+ ATF. Do a search on this, per "JohnBrowning" in "trans-brake fluid, etc" forum for a little more info.

At 30k, no complaints. Vehicle is regularly if not daily at full lock at one side to another. Have also carried capacity loads and towed several thousand miles in extra-hot (100F+) weather. (Cooler is mounted behind grille bar to cut down on flow, a bit). Fluid appears and smells same as when done up last year.

I, too, am a believer in following manufacturers recommendations, but with the PSF decided to take vehicle to all REDLINE products (except ATF which is SCHAEFFERS 204 Supreme), and am pleased to have done so. Will try to cut apart this toughly-encased MAGNEFINE filter after change to see what, if any, evidence of seal problems "may" be evident.

Ok guys...

-So the Redline PSF a superior product vs. the Valvoline SynPower??

-Are they petroelum fluid or are they something else? Do you think they are compatbile 100%?

quote:

Originally posted by Seth_TJ:
Ok guys...

-So the Redline PSF a superior product vs. the Valvoline SynPower??

-Are they petroelum fluid or are they something else? Do you think they are compatbile 100%?

still undecided but I think I am going to go with the Redline, $7.00 per quart isn't really bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back