Chevron ESI 80W-90 in GL-1 Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a truck trans and rear ends serviced and opted for the Chevron ESI Lubricant due to the reduced cost compared to the true synthetics.

On examination of my receipt I notice they show filling the trans with the Chevron ESI GL-5/MT-1 rated 80W-90 hypoid axle lubricant instead of the ESI SAE50 GL-1 Transmission Lubricant .

The Transmission is a 1650 torque rated Rockwell/Meritor 10-Speed that calls for GL-1 rated Non-EP SAE50 transmision lube.

Chevron claims that both ESI fluids contain EP additives that do not attach soft metals.

Looking at the data sheets shows the viscosity of the two lubes is essentially the same at 40C and 100C. I really dont understand how this is possible unless transmission and hypoid gear oils are measured against differant standards?

Is this anything to worry about?

Should I change immediately?

100,000 mi?

250,000 mi?

500,000 mi?

ESI GL-5 80W-90 is rated for 500,000 mi in the rear axles (Meritor Approved).

ESI GL-1 SAE50 is rated for 500,000 mi in the transmission (Meritor Approved).

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
I recently had a truck trans and rear ends serviced and opted for the Chevron ESI Lubricant due to the reduced cost compared to the true synthetics.

On examination of my receipt I notice they show filling the trans with the Chevron ESI GL-5/MT-1 rated 80W-90 hypoid axle lubricant instead of the ESI SAE50 GL-1 Transmission Lubricant .

The Transmission is a 1650 torque rated Rockwell/Meritor 10-Speed that calls for GL-1 rated Non-EP SAE50 transmision lube.

Chevron claims that both ESI fluids contain EP additives that do not attach soft metals.

Looking at the data sheets shows the viscosity of the two lubes is essentially the same at 40C and 100C. I really dont understand how this is possible unless transmission and hypoid gear oils are measured against differant standards?

Is this anything to worry about?

Should I change immediately?

100,000 mi?

250,000 mi?

500,000 mi?

ESI GL-5 80W-90 is rated for 500,000 mi in the rear axles (Meritor Approved).

ESI GL-1 SAE50 is rated for 500,000 mi in the transmission (Meritor Approved).

Gene

I would have a cow if a service shop filled my Super-10 with gear oil instead of the required 50wt transmission oil. I'm not saying their screw-up will cause any harm, but the EATON & Meritor are both pretty steadfast as to only using the proper 50wt tranny oil. I'd make them drain, flush, and fill that gear oil because I have heard that additive packs in gear oil can be corrosive to some of the metals that are in commercial transmissions that are not found in differentials.

Hammer

Okay, I think I have found the answer.

Eaton - Originally allowed 250,000 mi changes with approved GL5/MT1 lubes. Since dropped to 60,000 mi due to possible attack of copper in oil coolers with some GL5 lubes.

Meritor - Does not recommend GL5/MT1 lubes due to possible corrosion of oil cooler. Some GL5 lubes have also shown a tendencey for the EP additives to "Gell Out" at a high temps sometimes seen between gear faces in the transmission (Up to 300F).

Looks like while it is not a emergency situation and ESI 80W-90 "May" be all right I would be better to get the correct 50 weight trans lube.

After a little research I have discovered GL-5 80W-90 and GL-1 SAE50 are the same viscosity lubes . The 80W-90 GL-5 is rated via traditional gear oil viscosity ranges where as GL-1 SAE50 is rated via the motor oil system to help avoid confusion between the trans and axle lubes.

Gene

I'm with Hammer on this one.

The GL-1 50 weight tranny fluid should have a low level Sulfur-Phosphorus EP addpack and more Anti-wear components than would the GL5 differential rated fluid.

MolaKule according to Chevron the Delo ESI GL5 uses a EP package based on Borate Esters instead of Sulphur-Phosphorus.

The ESI 80W-90 was okayed for 250,000 mi drains in the transmission prior to the introduction of ESI 50 Weight Trans Oil. I have one of the original press releases (when it was marketed as RPM ESI instead of as Delo ESI) that states Eaton and Rockwell approved for 250,000 mi drains in trans and 500,000 in axles.

The confusion seems to be at Chevron as Lube Tek says use the 50 weight while the Chevron Fleet Reps are still being told to recommend ESI 80W-90 as a "universal" product for the trans, and front hubs as well the rear axles.

Due to the conflicting info at Chevron the only place I can find that stocks ESI 50 Weight (Distributor only has 55 gallon druns) is the local Volvo Dealer (ESI is now factory fill).

Our Shop has offered to refund the trans oil change (Labor and Materials) or change to Chevron RPM Synthetic for difference in price.

Since the transmission is out of warranty and all the company trucks have been using the GL5 in the trans for the last 10 years without a problem I guess I have time to make a decision.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back